MaxBilt vs ORO LED taillights

jjvw

useless stäff member
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Maxbilt and ORO LED taillights. Are these the same light with different branding? Which one is the original?

https://maxbilt.com/products/jeep-w...rjS7_YXXe3Zar-hJaJYtxsvJKzER0FtxoCQ0cQAvD_BwE
Screenshot_20220523-070546_Chrome.jpg

https://offroadonly.com/shop/led-lighting/off-road-only-litedot-round-redwhite-tailight-pair-2/
Screenshot_20220523-070822_Chrome.jpg

I answered my own question. Now that I see pics side by side, MaxBilt has far more LEDs. They aren't the same light.

Reactions: Igoo65 and TRE3TOP
OROs are the ones with multple reports of failed LEDs. I've read no such thing about the Maxbilts. After watching a Maxbilt utube it seems the failures are due to the inferior design of the OROs (the way the LEDs are attached to the board).

Reactions: jjvw
I see more discussion of the OROs earlier on forum history, so the Trail Tails are probably derivative. But they are much denser.

Apparently the early OROs had a design flaw early on where the motherboard would crack if they were tightened too much that was later fixed (unconfirmed).

Most Genright things I've bought I've been less than happy with.

MaxBilt was founded by Phil Norvold, a very cool dude. I have Maxbilt's prototype 20 gal skid on my CJ. I called him up 10 years ago, told him there wasn't anything on the market and he made it happen. Go with the Trail Tails, if I ever go to LED taillights, that is what I will use...

MaxBilt was founded by Phil Norvold, a very cool dude. I have Maxbilt's prototype 20 gal skid on my CJ. I called him up 10 years ago, told him there wasn't anything on the market and he made it happen. Go with the Trail Tails, if I ever go to LED taillights, that is what I will use...
I wonder if ORO is using an early MB design. Or they are ripping off MB with a cheaper light that they charge more for.

I wonder if ORO is using an early MB design. Or they are ripping off MB with a cheaper light that they charge more for.
Don't know the answer to that question...all I can say is my experience with MaxBilt has been nothing short of spectacular...They are Jeep addicts who run a Jeep business...

Reactions: jjvw
You wanting round? No Savvy’s?
I'm weighing a few options. Savvy is high on the list, but we know how things have been with them recently.

One option that I really like is how Blaine sunk the stock housing up to the lense into the tub. It keeps the stock look. But I need to come to terms with chopping a big hole into the future corner armor. And I need to make sure I have room behind the shock tower after the future stretch.

DSC_5882.jpeg
DSC_5896.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm weighing a few options. Savvy is high on the list, but we know how things have been with them recently.

One option that I really like is how Blaine sunk the stock housing up to the lense into the tub. It keeps the stock look. But I need to come to terms with chopping a big hole into the future corner armor. And I need to make sure I have room behind the shock tower after the future stretch.

View attachment 332336View attachment 332337
I’m struggling with the round taillight shape myself. The rectangular ones just seem right to me.

I have the maxbilt and have been pleased with them. They have a lifetime warranty, ORO only has 90 days, can’t speak for any of the other companies. I had an issue with my driver side running light going out on mine but everything else still worked, within two days of calling I had a new light in my hand at no charge. That’s a company I’ll stand behind.

100%. I’ve heard a few people say they didn’t like the way the LED’s lit up but if you don’t like the round, they def aren’t for you.
Toximus has the Savvy's on his rig at TJFest. I liked how they looked.

Looking back at some Blaine builds he's used both Max Bilt and Savvy and they both look good when done well.

i got flush rounds now..... bright as hell and didn't cost me 200$. tryin to recall what brand they are. i bought them based on a post here somewhere. the reverse lamps are real bright.
i chose the clear version but it comes red too iirc. i'll try and remember.

Reactions: JMT