Maybe that's why I can't turn when stopped sometimes (scrub radius!)

srimes

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
And here I thought it was just because I was on 35s!

On a whim I decided to see what the backspacing of my wheels are. 3.5in.

OK, not ideal but not uncommon. But these rims are 10", so the scrub radius would be like an 8" rim with 2.5" backspacing. Pretty sure that'd be a problem.

I took pics and drew lines in a crude attempt to estimate scrub radius.

20240419_185920.jpg

20240419_185941.jpg

Looks like the hits right by the edge of the tread! Scrub radius would be around 5". That's a lot, right?

I just told the wife I need new wheels. She's skeptical.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
And here I thought it was just because I was on 35s!

On a whim I decided to see what the backspacing of my wheels are. 3.5in.

OK, not ideal but not uncommon. But these rims are 10", so the scrub radius would be like an 8" rim with 2.5" backspacing. Pretty sure that'd be a problem.

I took pics and drew lines in a crude attempt to estimate scrub radius.

View attachment 520179

View attachment 520180

Looks like the hits right by the edge of the tread! Scrub radius would be around 5". That's a lot, right?

I just told the wife I need new wheels. She's skeptical.

If you could get someone to fire it up and turn lock to lock with it sitting still, you'd learn some cool stuff. You get to see one wheel roll forward and the other roll backward or opposite of each other. That's also what causes the difficulties in turning. If you have enough brake or are locked up, then the tires have to skid to turn. With a locker on, they will roll until the slack is out of the splines and then have to start skidding.

Folks post up pics on FB quite often where you can see the rotor completely. They get grumpy when you say "how to tell me your steering sucks without telling me your steering sucks".

If you could get someone to fire it up and turn lock to lock with it sitting still, you'd learn some cool stuff. You get to see one wheel roll forward and the other roll backward or opposite of each other. That's also what causes the difficulties in turning. If you have enough brake or are locked up, then the tires have to skid to turn. With a locker on, they will roll until the slack is out of the splines and then have to start skidding.

Folks post up pics on FB quite often where you can see the rotor completely. They get grumpy when you say "how to tell me your steering sucks without telling me your steering sucks".

Yeah I only notice it when locked and high traction. I get by with just a little movement but would like it to be better.

I'm hoping some 15x8, 4" bs will be a significant improvement. Hydro assist would be sweet but not needing it would be even better.

Yeah I only notice it when locked and high traction. I get by with just a little movement but would like it to be better.

I'm hoping some 15x8, 4" bs will be a significant improvement. Hydro assist would be sweet but not needing it would be even better.

I'm running 17 x 8.5 with 4" BS and its just fine. I think you're on the right track

This 15min video explains a few things quote nicely about the problems with bad scrub radius. Good follow-on material after Blaine's comment above. Worth watching and understanding.

Reactions: PNW_LJ and Mike_H