Measure Once, Cut Twice: A Story of Excitement and Impatience

Breather isn't clogged or crimped. I can def see the fluid leak around the pinion. So, I'll be changing that out. Can I just take the pinion nut off, remove and replace the seal, then reinstall and retorque the pinion nut? I've done all my own suspension, brake and engine work. However, have never done any diff work. It's an RJ60. I guess I'll be doing some research on RJ60 assemblies. Thanks for your help.
You should be able to. We swap pinion yokes all the time with no issue.

IDK if a RJ60 uses shims or a crush sleeve for pinion preload... But either which way I have always taken a chisel and staked the pinion and the nut, backed the nut off and removed the yoke. Change the seal and tighten the pinion nut to the mark I made with a chisel using my impact.

Reactions: taylormade73
IDK if a RJ60 uses shims or a crush sleeve for pinion preload... But either which way I have always taken a chisel and staked the pinion and the nut, backed the nut off and removed the yoke. Change the seal and tighten the pinion nut to the mark I made with a chisel using my impact.
I’ve used a paint pen and thread count to install the nut exactly where it had been.

@toximus what spec do you use for diff fluid level on your rear RJ60? Currie has 3.5qts lited on their site. Carbon has it at 2.7qts. That's a huge differential. I though to read somewhere you discussing recommendation had changed over time. Can't find that discussion.

20200914_134555.jpg

Just spoke with Cody at Currie and he said spec is 2.5qts for front and rear. He said the 3.5 listed on the site must be a typo. Not sure who or what to believe at this point.

Reactions: Wildman
Sounds similar to how the paperwork Carbon sent me with my RJ44 front said 2 quarts. When I called them about a leaking pinion seal they told me it is only supposed to take 1.5 quarts.. when I changed the fluid I only put 1.5 in it and its been fine since. (it weeps but not enough for me to change the seal yet)

@toximus what spec do you use for diff fluid level on your rear RJ60? Currie has 3.5qts lited on their site. Carbon has it at 2.7qts. That's a huge differential. I though to read somewhere you discussing recommendation had changed over time. Can't find that discussion.

View attachment 189927

Currie recommends 2.5qts of 85w-140 non-synthetic gear oil for the front and rear RJ60 and RJ60VXR(aka extreme).

Sounds similar to how the paperwork Carbon sent me with my RJ44 front said 2 quarts. When I called them about a leaking pinion seal they told me it is only supposed to take 1.5 quarts.. when I changed the fluid I only put 1.5 in it and its been fine since. (it weeps but not enough for me to change the seal yet)
Yeah. I'm thinking I overfilled too. However, mine is more than weeping lol. Ordered the seal, gasket and oil today. Going to just take the cover off, inspect everything, change pinion seal, and put oil in to spec of 2.5qts and go front there.

I know of a rig that is on here that took 12 quarts at one point to do a front and rear oil change.
Many, many years ago I changed the oil on an old bosses car, drained old oil, spent an hour sorting out the correct oil filter since the gasket on the one I removed didn’t match the new filter (turned out the old filter was wrong) finally installed the new filter, poured in the new oil and fired it up. Sounded kind of loud for a little import 4 cylinder but never thought much of it.
After I was finished I was cleaning my tools and found the drain plug on my bench, looked under the car and the drain pan was still in place and almost over flowing.
Re-filled it again and sent it on it’s way.
Oops.🤪

• Wow
Reactions: taylormade73
Well, was able to dial out the DW. Not even a shimmy now. However, during the course of my DW chase, I adjusted so many things while focusing on the DW, I neglected to pay attention to how my adjustments were/are affecting clearances.

I have my front axle pulled back about as far as I can and I'm still getting TB interference. I have a Currie front TB. First contact is the gusset reinforcement on frame side joint contacting my diff at the elocker grommet inlet. This limits uptravel to 3 1/8" at full stuff. Articulating to passenger side shock bottoms/bump reached eight before the gusset kisses the grommet. If I trim some of the gusset, my next point of contact is the body of the jj on the diff cover limiting up travel to 3 1/2" at full stuff.

For those of you running a front RJ44 with a Currie TB, how have you handled this?

20200921_180050_HDR.jpg

20200921_180121_HDR.jpg

20200921_180139.jpg

20200921_180146_HDR.jpg

20200921_180156_HDR.jpg

20200921_180202_HDR.jpg

20200921_180226.jpg

20200921_180252_HDR.jpg

20200921_181327_HDR.jpg

20200921_183531_HDR.jpg

20200921_183619_HDR.jpg

the pinion looks high. if so, fix that which should address the interference. you can also roll the jj to be better inline with the track bar mount.