Mid-arm LJ Rubicon

If you still have it off what is height of stock and Motobilt diff covers. I know that differ by 3/16 but height would be nice to compare to other options (meaning I’m questioning my purchase want to check lol).

For those of you interested, I pulled my diff cover off to install my Motobilt diff cover. There was some talk earlier in my build thread about how much further it would stick out. After doing a comparison the motobilt cover is barley 3/16” taller then the stock. Not too bad for such a beefy cover! View attachment 229021View attachment 229022
With that shape being different than the stock, how is the oil flow (fluid dynamics) inside affected?

You sound like Gale Banks. Although flow might not be ideal and lined up with science, I can tell you running an aftermarket cover will not kill your gears.

It is a very interesting point though.
I was just curious, as aftermarket Currie covers have similar design to Dana/factory covers. Someone on here posted his video and it was interesting.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Motobilt is 3” tall
Should interesting to see how this clears. I couldn't tell from your profile if you're running Currie steering. I'm running it on my LJ and went through several covers. The only one that didn't hit is the stock one.

Should interesting to see how this clears. I couldn't tell from your profile if you're running Currie steering. I'm running it on my LJ and went through several covers. The only one that didn't hit is the stock one.
This is where the low profile stuff from Ballistic Fab or the ramped Savvy Cover shines.
https://savvyoffroad.com/product/js-hd44/

Reactions: Irun
Reactions: Fouledplugs
I was just curious, as aftermarket Currie covers have similar design to Dana/factory covers. Someone on here posted his video and it was interesting.
I've seen the Banks video, Very interesting to see the oil flow. I am positive that this cover is not the best for oil flow...My Jeep is mainly a trail rig, Doesn't see a ton of highway miles. In this case I am not worried about it. I'll take the extra protection. If I were buying a diff cover for my truck/tow rig that see a lot of high way miles I'd have a different mind set.

Good to know, I am currently running the stock steering that I sleeved the tie rod with a piece of .120 wall DOM.
because the steering is stock, I am putting this cover on the rear. Too many changes still need to be done to the front to be making changes at this stage.

Reactions: Irun
Crawler hauler is complete. A couple wire wheels and some paint and it’s looking pretty good. Big improvement from the first picture I posted. Now I just need to load the Jeep and go somewhere...
ECD043FD-E4B3-45D0-9FE3-4534BCAF2FFA.jpeg

I finally ended at home with an empty tank. Figured it was a perfect time to drop the fuel tank to fix the fuel burping issue while filling the tank. Filing the guides down fixed this issue, now it fills up great!
While I had the tank out I cut the mounts off factory skid and welded them 1.25” higher. Gave me a bit more clearance for the gas tank skid. Pretty easy mod for anyone that has a factory gas tank skid and a body lift.
9C8976E8-B7C8-4011-9FD6-F21E379D6A20.jpeg

BF1E26D6-25EC-48CD-ADAC-0DB8A4D9473C.jpeg

I just installed a NEW 31.5 gallon fuel tank by Gen Right in my LJ....still have the burping issue, what did you file down?? I had purchased a new filler hose but its a straight hose and kinks due to it having to bend upwards just a bit...
Also while i was putting in the new tank, I cut a "trap" door in the back floor board...Now I will never have to drop the tank again to replace fuel pump or damaged lines

Reactions: JMT
I just installed a NEW 31.5 gallon fuel tank by Gen Right in my LJ....still have the burping issue, what did you file down?? I had purchased a new filler hose but its a straight hose and kinks due to it having to bend upwards just a bit...
Also while i was putting in the new tank, I cut a "trap" door in the back floor board...Now I will never have to drop the tank again to replace fuel pump or damaged lines
Followed the steps shown in the link posted above. I am not sure if the genright tank uses the same style of check valve. If not it could be a vent or maybe something wrong with the filler neck. Try contacting genright if all else fails.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep