Mid-range fuel tank skid options

You could buy the later model skid and then cut the mounting flanges off, weld them back on an inch lower to have yourself a DIY tank lift. I'm considering doing this myself since I might as well improve something while dropping the tank over an issue with the level sender.

That’s sounds like a win. I’ll check it out. I do wish I could carry a few more gallons

Aftermarket tanks are going to be expensive. You aren’t going to improve mpg. Since you’re wanting to save money and not do anything hardcore, get one of the later model skids and raise it 1-1.25” as suggested by others.

Reactions: MikekiM
Aftermarket tanks are going to be expensive. You aren’t going to improve mpg. Since you’re wanting to save money and not do anything hardcore, get one of the later model skids and raise it 1-1.25” as suggested by others.

I've done several of them for folks. It really is a great solution for those who don't need hardcore protection. And even if you do, as cheap as they are, if you tear it up, go make another one. What most miss is the slight 1"ish or so raise makes a huge difference in how much abuse it gets subjected to.

I've done several of them for folks. It really is a great solution for those who don't need hardcore protection. And even if you do, as cheap as they are, if you tear it up, go make another one. What most miss is the slight 1"ish or so raise makes a huge difference in how much abuse it gets subjected to.

I’ve raised two of them, and it was well worth it both times. Free clearance. Mine got beat on pretty good, but it held up. Just noticed an impression on my Savvy yesterday.

Installed Rokmen fuel tank skids on two of my TJs. Good price and easy install.
That looks like a good option. Price is totally reasonable. https://www.rokmen.com/rokmen-gas-tank-skid-plate.html#
TJs initially came out with a light steel support for the gas tank that was not much of a skidplate, then Jeep started including a heavier/thicker gauge steel for later models. I don't know exactly when that happened but 2001 kinda rings a bell. You have a 2000 TJ which I'm pretty sure uses the thin sheet metal design. I'd check out sources of used Jeep parts and look for a used skidplate from a 2001 or newer. Or the year the heavier skidplate started if someone knows for sure when that was.
Another good option mentioned above too. I'll consider. Certainly has ease of install on its side. Assuming it would be a direct bolt in..

Consider the Genright 24 gallon gas tank. Not only does it come with a steel or aluminum skid plate, it gives you an extra 80 or so miles of range. Certainly not the cheapest option, but you get a lot more utility from it as well.
While a larger tank would be great, the price is just shy of $2k. That kills the deal for me. I doubt I'll ever drag on it or land on it. I spend most of my time on outer beach sand and dirt/rock fire access roads to camping locations.

The early TJ skids were thinner steel and did not wrap up the sides.
That's how mine is. Silly thin steel and the sides are exposed.

The specific year doesn't really matter because it isn't confusing as to which skid is which.

Early TJ with open sides
View attachment 429996

Late TJ enclosed sides
View attachment 429995
Is the later enclosed skid a direct bolt in to an earlier model?

Agree with this. I didn't expect it would improve the milage, but carrying more fuel would be a win. Checked out the Genright but the price is a show-stopper.

Any details on what needs to be cut and welded back on? If I was less inclined to gain the 1" of clearance, would it be a direct bolt in to a 2000?

Reactions: PNW_LJ
Installed Rokmen fuel tank skids on two of my TJs. Good price and easy install.
From the description on the Rokmen site...

**Using the ROKMEN skid without a body lift on any year vehicle could cause unsafe conditions such as chaffed or damaged fuel lines and is not recommended.

Other than this, it seems like a really good solution.

This is an inexpensive and simple bolt on modification that will protect your investment and keep you moving down the trail.

The ROKMEN gas tank skid plate increases your ground clearance by 1.5" inches over stock. at the same time increaseing the level of protection of your gas tank and sending unit significantly over the flimsy stock skid plate. Giving you the piece of mind needed to attack the toughest of obstacles.

Constructed from high grade steel that is Laser cut, Robotically CNC formed, and then fully hand TIG welded for the highest quality gas tank skid available.

- Full replacement skid for 97-06' TJ/LJ Jeeps®
- 1.5" of additional ground clearance
- 1" of additional clearance behind the diff cover
- Made from 3/16" steel for superior toughness
- Formed sump allows proper operation of stock fuel pump sending unit.
- Bare Steel Finish

- Fully TIG welded

Is the later enclosed skid a direct bolt in to an earlier model?

Any details on what needs to be cut and welded back on? If I was less inclined to gain the 1" of clearance, would it be a direct bolt in to a 2000?

Direct bolt on.

The cut and raise requires a body lift. Cut the mounting flanges near the top and overlap them one inch. Weld back together. Install.