Midnight LJR Build

Most high quality nav units use it for dead reckoning when you don't have GPS signal like in parking garages and tunnels.

Ok that’s interesting, maybe it’s so CarPlay can use it for extra data, since there is no built in Navigation.

Photo whore insert to encourage and motivate.
P1060601.JPG

That deck works fine with Android, keep in mind that radio is actually running a linux based system inside just like Android. Although allot of stuff is compatible with iOS allot of electronics like that Kenwood deck actually run on linux and Android. They aren't just compatible with Android, it's also what's under the hood.

I don't want to clog up Midnight's thread but what I was referring to was the Mapping apps won't mirror from your android phone to the stereo where Apple will. Unless I have my information wrong. Guess I need to start a thread on the subject.

I don't want to clog up Midnight's thread but what I was referring to was the Mapping apps won't mirror from your android phone to the stereo where Apple will. Unless I have my information wrong. Guess I need to start a thread on the subject.

I think this one says it supports Android mirroring. Not sure if that’s what your looking for. I don’t anything about android.

I think this one says it supports Android mirroring. Not sure if that’s what your looking for. I don’t anything about android.

It isn't the phone or the stereo that is the issue from what I understand. It is the app itself. Now all this information I'm getting second hand from my son. I'm not up on all this stuff anymore and so he has been doing the research for me. From what I gather from him the app doesn't allow android phones to mirror to an external device.

It isn't the phone or the stereo that is the issue from what I understand. It is the app itself. Now all this information I'm getting second hand from my son. I'm not up on all this stuff anymore and so he has been doing the research for me. From what I gather from him the app doesn't allow android phones to mirror to an external device.

Ah, got cha. I had no interest in CarPlay until they released Gaia GPS for it, now I am excited and am actually really impressed with the UI for using your phone.

Reactions: Wildman
Got the stereo install finished up.

It seems much nicer sounding than stock, especially the volume it can put. I am amazed at how much you can control the sound with the built in EQ options, never really played with any of that kind of stuff before. Mostly I really like the wireless Apple CarPlay integration. It picks up my phone right away and is connected very nice. Also really like the backup camera.

@Alex01 came and helped and really racked up some Jeep Currency I am sure he plans to cash in on his future projects. It was a fun day.

Glad were able to remember where all those screws went.

7FB1019C-1EDA-48A9-A8DA-365B16274B86.jpeg

We decided to put the new amp back in the stock location, it just barely fits but worked out really well.
09B2F7FC-65AF-4F27-B0A0-01981D4FDCCC.jpeg
00797AA1-C3DA-458E-B75B-50A5D7C7C8C6.jpeg

Alex wanted proof that he did work and was not just coming over to drink all my Root Beer.
069B0D29-AE31-46A6-8B45-1D096EF3E58B.jpeg

Almost ready to go back in just doing the final hook ups and cleaning everything up. This head unit has A LOT of connections.
AC69BEE2-DDE9-45DC-90FD-338A7E29E9E9.jpeg

We mounted the back up camera inside the spare tire.
FC4D31D2-6251-435B-8E0F-014245286DCD.jpeg

@Rebel_Z helped out a bunch too you can see his XJ on the camera.
7D2297BA-3F3C-4552-8A0F-A0D5A8A9A0DA.jpeg

and to end the day I found the rattle I have been looking for in my dash for the last few weeks.
A4D96AAE-368E-4E62-8658-79A52408D67C.jpeg

really this was back under my dash it must have fallen in from the defroster area the way it was jammed in there.

Really interested to hear your thoughts on the anti glare with the top down. I was debating between the Kenwood Excelon DMX907S and Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX. Looking at the pros, Kenwood has the 2 year warranty along with the 5V output and amazing EQ but I have heard the Pioneer has better anti glare and the unit is more compact to fit wires behind it.

Really interested to hear your thoughts on the anti glare with the top down. I was debating between the Kenwood Excelon DMX907S and Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX. Looking at the pros, Kenwood has the 2 year warranty along with the 5V output and amazing EQ but I have heard the Pioneer has better anti glare and the unit is more compact to fit wires behind it.

I will try to remember to update next time I have the top down.

The Pioneer looks really nice. There is just barely enough room behind this one for all the wires it has. They had to be bundled up very nice and stuffed off to the back driver side in a certain spot or it would not fit.

It seems much nicer sounding than stock, especially the volume it can put. I am amazed at how much you can control the sound with the built in EQ options, never really played with any of that kind of stuff before. Mostly I really like the wireless Apple CarPlay integration. It picks up my phone right away and is connected very nice. Also really like the backup camera.

@Alex01 came and helped and really racked up some Jeep Currency I am sure he plans to cash in on his future projects. It was a fun day.

View attachment 168771

We decided to put the new amp back in the stock location, it just barely fits but worked out really well.
View attachment 168765View attachment 168772

Alex wanted proof that he did work and was not just coming over to drink all my Root Beer.
View attachment 168766

Almost ready to go back in just doing the final hook ups and cleaning everything up. This head unit has A LOT of connections.
View attachment 168767

View attachment 168770

View attachment 168769

and to end the day I found the rattle I have been looking for in my dash for the last few weeks.
View attachment 168768
really this was back under my dash it must have fallen in from the defroster area the way it was jammed in there.
The previous owner must have been an archery hunter or you got the Jeep off the Reservation. :)

Fun times. I need to build as much jeep currency as I can.

@Rebel_Z are you excited to swap out the upper arms on the XJ soon ;) I'm guessing the rubber is just as bad as the lowers.
Hi Alex! Dude that was quite a workout getting those rusty bolts out! :) Thanks again for your help. Yeah got a laundry list of rusty parts to swap out! Steering linkage upgrade next, some under armor, sliders and a rear bumper. More root beer days ahead.

View attachment 168771

View attachment 168765View attachment 168772

View attachment 168766

View attachment 168767

View attachment 168770

View attachment 168769

View attachment 168768
"We found the evidence Captain! Bag it and send it to Forensics! This could be the clue we've been searching for!"

Last weekend took the family up to Highlands lake on Hwy 4. I have been to a lot of national parks and these little lakes off the beaten path are as amazing as any of them.

First time I have ever used the top in this configuration because I forgot my Spydershade. It worked well.

0EFABA39-0A2F-407D-A96C-A89A318C3B73.jpeg
7A32E361-5D6D-460A-A426-91FC42DA4B80.jpeg
EA666F7F-2949-4040-87F6-E73A1FEFFE0D.jpeg
CCFAA2E8-09A2-48E6-9B23-5069EDCDBE30.jpeg

Last weekend took the family up to Highlands lake on Hwy 4. I have been to a lot of national parks and these little lakes off the beaten path are as amazing as any of them.

First time I have ever used the top in this configuration because I forgot my Spydershade. It worked well.

View attachment 171850View attachment 171851View attachment 171852View attachment 171853

The first family drive I did in my Jeep when I got it in March was like that. Before I had ever lowered the top completely.

Reactions: Midnight LJR
I roll with the top in that config most of the summer when it's triple digits. I can enjoy the AC that way. Strap a couple bungee balls around the rear flaps to quiet them down at freeway speeds. Looks like a beautiful place!

Reactions: Alex01 and Indy