Utah Moab - Anyone wanna wheel

Added to Calendar: 03-22-20

KTwithaTJ

Hey there! I am heading to Moab 3/22 and we will be spending a couple days tootling around and such. Single jeep. Mom & Daughter. We are looking if there is anyone who would want to meet up to do some trails in the area. We have been to Moab a few times previously and are jeepers from the Nor Cal area. We will be available Monday the 23rd-Thursday the 26th. We can plan everything else we are doing around this if there are any takers!

I'm jealous. I can't wait to get back to Moab. Do you have any idea which trails you're going to run?

I'm jealous. I can't wait to get back to Moab. Do you have any idea which trails you're going to run?

Dont have any particular trails in mind at the moment. It all depends if we happen to find someone to join, leaving that open at the moment. If we cant find anyone, we will just stick to easy/shorter trails.

I know I do want to hit Cathedral Valley when we get to Capitol Reef NP. From what I understand its basically a dirt road with a couple water crossings.

Any trail suggestions?

Dont have any particular trails in mind at the moment. It all depends if we happen to find someone to join, leaving that open at the moment. If we cant find anyone, we will just stick to easy/shorter trails.

I know I do want to hit Cathedral Valley when we get to Capitol Reef NP. From what I understand its basically a dirt road with a couple water crossings.

Any trail suggestions?
All the trails inside the Sand Flats Recreation Area would be fine solo since there will be tons of other people around.

Top of the world was also a fun trail (and a forum favorite for the ride of the month photos). We saw a decent amount of people there so I wouldn't really worry about getting stranded. The first part is very easy. Towards the end of the trail, it gets more difficult but not bad if you take your time (2-3 foot climbs).

Red rock 4-wheelers rates all the trails on their site linked below. When we were there we stuck with 6 rated trails. That said we never needed a winch and nobody got stuck. (It rained a few days on us so we likely had even less traction on some of the trails)

https://www.rr4w.com/Trails-Home.cfm
Poison spider was one of my favorites. - It only had 1 tricky bit but if you choose a smart line you'd likely cruise up it.

@JMT , my FIL, and I cruised over to elephant hill also. The scenery was awesome and you can do plenty of hikes in the area. *You need to reserve a spot for the trail 24hrs beforehand and if you get stuck you'll need to pay a 1,000 fine to get towed out.
That said the first section is the only difficult part and by the looks of your jeep you should cruise right up it.

Welcome to the forum BTW from a fellow Norcal jeeper.

Reactions: HardSell and JMT
Sounds like a great trip. The first few days I was in Moab alone, I found a group at the place we were staying and tagged along with them for a day till our forum group arrived. So, you may consider looking for a group where you stay, striking up a conversation, and see if you can tag along.

Reactions: HardSell and Alex01
Poison spider was one of my favorites. - It only had 1 tricky bit but if you choose a smart line you'd likely cruise up it.
You can get into some trouble on P.S. without limited slip. Traction enhancement makes for safer wheeling. Fins and things are a perfect trail to get a feel for slick rock without limited slip. Lockers best serve Jeepers for getting OUT of trouble, but I'm also guilty of getting into trouble with 'em which can be disconcerting. Learn how to disconnect your front sway bar then reconnect when you leave town. You can practice in your driveway at home before going. Jeeping around Moab makes one forget about anything Disney has to offer; there's nothing fake there.

All the trails inside the Sand Flats Recreation Area would be fine solo since there will be tons of other people around.

Top of the world was also a fun trail (and a forum favorite for the ride of the month photos). We saw a decent amount of people there so I wouldn't really worry about getting stranded. The first part is very easy. Towards the end of the trail, it gets more difficult but not bad if you take your time (2-3 foot climbs).

Red rock 4-wheelers rates all the trails on their site linked below. When we were there we stuck with 6 rated trails. That said we never needed a winch and nobody got stuck. (It rained a few days on us so we likely had even less traction on some of the trails)

https://www.rr4w.com/Trails-Home.cfm

@JMT , my FIL, and I cruised over to elephant hill also. The scenery was awesome and you can do plenty of hikes in the area. *You need to reserve a spot for the trail 24hrs beforehand and if you get stuck you'll need to pay a 1,000 fine to get towed out.
That said the first section is the only difficult part and by the looks of your jeep you should cruise right up it.

Welcome to the forum BTW from a fellow Norcal jeeper.

Thank you! That's all great information. I know whatever we will end up doing will be great a trip no matter what!

I see you are from Martinez, we are from the Delta area. Great to connect with you! =)

Thank you! That's all great information. I know whatever we will end up doing will be great a trip no matter what!

I see you are from Martinez, we are from the Delta area. Great to connect with you! =)
I can't imagine Moab not being fun. Next year I plan to go back right after Easter Jeep Safari. You should check out the northern California thread under the regional section. We try to get out every few months.

You can get into some trouble on P.S. without limited slip. Traction enhancement makes for safer wheeling. Fins and things are a perfect trail to get a feel for slick rock without limited slip. Lockers best serve Jeepers for getting OUT of trouble, but I'm also guilty of getting into trouble with 'em which can be disconcerting. Learn how to disconnect your front sway bar then reconnect when you leave town. You can practice in your driveway at home before going. Jeeping around Moab makes one forget about anything Disney has to offer; there's nothing fake there.

Fortunately, my mom has been wheeling out in Moab before, so shes a little familiar. Shes taken her YJ a few times. We aren't really looking to do anything too difficult anyway, still gotta get ourselves home! I am just excited to get MY jeep out there!!

Funny you mention Disney, (Oklahoma Im assuming?) We were actually going to take my Jeep out there and longs story short, I decided not to at this time. But it will be on the bucket list for sure!

Reactions: JMT
I can't imagine Moab not being fun. Next year I plan to go back right after Easter Jeep Safari. You should check out the northern California thread under the regional section. We try to get out every few months.
Yes! I wouldn't mind going to the Easter Safari one year, Mom, not so much. haha.

Yeah for sure, I will have to. It would be cool to find some more people to wheel with, currently its just our family and some family friends who join. But now that I have my Jeep, I want to be more active in going. This will be my first summer with my Jeep. I bought it in September, so we've only been able to hit a couple trails during this "winter"