Virginia TJ Fest 2021 East Coast Caravan to Moab, Utah

Just did a 1850 mile round trip to get the Jeep with a heavy Uhaul trailer towed by my GMC Sierra 1500. Worked great.
I'm thinking on towing out there with my Colorado... Over capacity for my ZR2 but well within the capacity of the "standard" Colorado (7500). I might just pack light and rip out there in the Jeep though. It's not so bad with the hard top. My a/c works, I have a good stereo, and the seats are surprisingly comfortable for me.

I'm not ready to commit yet (but I ordered the Moab trail book!), as my wife can't schedule vacation until 6 months before the requested time. However, she did say I could go without her. But I did want to pop in on this thread in case everything lines up for me/us. No need to pin me yet, but I am in the KC metro area.

I-70 has tolls and is faster but 36 has no tolls and takes about an hour longer.

Across Kansas, the only toll is between KC and Topeka, and is only like $2.50-3.00 for a 2 axle ride. When discussing our first Jeep in Colorado trip that still hasn't happened, that we might take the 2 lane highway out, so that we wouldn't get blown off the interstate. I'm not opposed either way. Making time, or taking time. Pros/cons both ways. Depends on if we drove the Jeep or trailered it. Pull vehicle currently has 220K on it, so a Moab trip pulling the Jeep would be the prime opportunity for the engine to pop 900 miles from home, LOL. The Jeep should make it. A/C is working (not that we'd really need it in April) and hopefully leak free now. The cruise works and overall handles the road ok'ish. Right now I'd probably lean towards driving the Jeep. 950 miles from KC to Moab. If we did it in a day or a day and a half, that'd be fine. 950 in one day would be the longest I've ever drove or ridden. And it could be in a Jeep, LOL.

This caravan would make it more enjoyable but dont forget to factor in some time for breakdowns. The larger the caravan the better chance there will be a breakdown.

Having been part of many motorcycle rides, 2 bikes is no problem. But try to get 15 all together....is like herding kindergarteners or cats. 20 minute stops become 35 minute breaks. There's always one guy that shows up without a full tank of gas, or can't get his ride running.

this is awesome

Agreed!

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
If someone wanted to fly in, what's the closest major airport to Moab, and how far is it?

Salt Lake City is the biggest. Grand Junction the closest. I can get a round trip ticket from Omaha to Grand Junction today for $180. Same with SLC.

I doubt those rates will hold much longer.

SLC is 230 miles. Grand Junction Colorado is 110 miles. That's actually rather common out here in the middle of nowhere.

Reactions: Apparition
Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
Please PIN me. 26554. We took the wife's 14 JKUR to Moab and over to Zion last fall. 11 day trip, 2½ days out and 3 back. I saw a YT video of a road from CO to Moab, maybe Bound For Nowhere channel, that looked fun. I'm starting a cargo/overland conversion soon and plan on towing it. Food for thought, take the TAT out.

Reactions: FireJeep
I’m not a guarantee but you can pin me, 02114. If have my Jeep and gear in order, and convince the wife to come and get the time off. But would love make it, a East Coast fest would be awesome.

I'm registered and you can pin my start at 49508. I'll be driving the TJ and the most direct route for me is 1600 miles and 30 hours.

Reactions: Apparition
Registered. Reservations made for Moab.

Leaving KC Friday afternoon, shooting for at least Hays, probably Colby. Don't think we'll make it to Denver on Friday. Run the rest to Moab on Saturday.

Coming home, I think we're looking into running all the way back to KC on Saturday, May 1. Stopping in Salina, Junction, or the mother-in-laws place for the night is not out of the realm of possibility. Have to be back to pick up our dog on Sunday morning.

Plan right now is to drive the Jeep. That could change into trailering it. We'll see.

Probably take the interstate. 70 mph or so. But if some folks decide to run 24 or 36 across Kansas, a little slower pace, see some.....wheat.........more wheat......corn?.....and still more wheat, well, maybe we'll bring up the rear.

Coming home in one day, in a TJ, would be the longest I've ever driven or ridden in a day. I'll know better the closer we get. But for right now, that's the plan. In pencil, LOL.