Virginia TJ Fest 2021 East Coast Caravan to Moab, Utah

I threw the idea out to my wife this evening, and she was surprisingly for it!?!? I’m not sure if we can make it or not, but we are in 17601. Based on your route, it looks like we would meet up around St Louis. It’s 29 hours for us, and I would probably need to make the trip in 3 days, so that I can fit everything in within a two week vacation.

• Wow
Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
Would be an awesome trip but 2180 miles (via boring rt 80) each way in a half door, soft top X version would be a killer. I should just fly there and split the costs and jump in one of your more capable TJ's!

I'm also up for the Windrock Trip. I can get the TJ down there to do some wheeling. Won't be able to make this Moab trip sadly.

In terms of driving out there, I'd just do I80 to I70 in Kansas and head straight to Moab. I've driven my TJ from Wyoming to Pennsylvania around 7 times and I've done Illinois to Denver twice. There is absolutely nothing interesting out there. Just get the hell out of dodge and into Moab. Colorado may have some cool stuff, but I sure wouldn't plan on doing anything East of Denver. Absolutely nothing out there.

This would be about a 3 week endeavor but please pencil me in as it sounds like an awesome 3 weeks :)
Also, an east coast version would be cool and I’d be down.

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
Pin me in too, but I'll be on I-80, along with @toximus. My start point would be Grand Rapids, Mi. I think I'm going to tow the Jeep on a trailer and camp out of my pickup. Might have to try the ZR2 out in Moab too!

20 gallon tank in the Colorado, getting 12 mpg... I'll be stopping every 3'ish hours for gasoline. Premium, at that, to maximize my tune. Hell... It might be cheaper to just drive the damn TJ!

20 gallon tank in the Colorado, getting 12 mpg... I'll be stopping every 3'ish hours for gasoline. Premium, at that, to maximize my tune. Hell... It might be cheaper to just drive the damn TJ!

Sounds like we'll be making synchronized gas stops...

Reactions: taylormade73
I'm working on updating the map and the first post now. I just got way too busy this past weekend!

Hey guys...please add me to the list. 18074. Not 100% if I can make it yet. If I do I would try to make some sales calls on the way then meet my wife in Denver. This will be the longest I've ever towed something so I am not sure if I am being too ambitious to drive around 10 hours/day?

I'm in for a Eastern version. Windrock looks like 11 hours from me.

I'll add you to the map! I think figuring out where to meet up, and how long to drive is going to be the key points of discussion going forward!

I threw the idea out to my wife this evening, and she was surprisingly for it!?!? I’m not sure if we can make it or not, but we are in 17601. Based on your route, it looks like we would meet up around St Louis. It’s 29 hours for us, and I would probably need to make the trip in 3 days, so that I can fit everything in within a two week vacation.

I'll get you added to the map!

Interested
Watching
Pin me

Yup will do!

This would be about a 3 week endeavor but please pencil me in as it sounds like an awesome 3 weeks :)
Also, an east coast version would be cool and I’d be down.

I'll get you added to the map as well! When I made this thread I didn't think about their being so much excite about an East Cost TJ Fest. I'll talk to @Chris about it!

Pin me in too, but I'll be on I-80, along with @toximus. My start point would be Grand Rapids, Mi. I think I'm going to tow the Jeep on a trailer and camp out of my pickup. Might have to try the ZR2 out in Moab too!

Will do! Yeah that is going to be a ton of fuel!

70 has tolls and is faster but 36 has no tolls and takes about an hour longer.

THIS is the kind of information I was hoping someone would know! I'll take an hour long over a 3 or 4 day trip to avoid tolls!

Sounds like we'll be making synchronized gas stops...

I'll be stopping with everyone in the caravan, I just don't know if I'll be filling up each time or not yet!

Thanks
Grant

Reactions: Chris
I'm watching this thread for sure. I have already said I would go to Moab next year but am having second thoughts after the 1850 mile round trip to Houston to buy the LJR (towing the Jeep back). This caravan would make it more enjoyable but dont forget to factor in some time for breakdowns. The larger the caravan the better chance there will be a breakdown.

Might as well add me to the map. I'll probably be able to have 10 days, so I can caravan on the way there. I will be trailering the TJ though, that would be a long 25 hours to watch every one drive past me. I'll probably be leaving from WV 25286 (maybe MD 21742, depending). We can drive 12 hours per day no problem. Google says it's 25 hours from Charleston WV on I-64 to I-70.

I had to convince my husband to do this trip, but we are planning on jeeping a few days and hiking at Arches for a few too, so probably not caravaning home.

Might as well add me to the map. I'll probably be able to have 10 days, so I can caravan on the way there. I will be trailering the TJ though, that would be a long 25 hours to watch every one drive past me. I'll probably be leaving from WV 25286 (maybe MD 21742, depending). We can drive 12 hours per day no problem. Google says it's 25 hours from Charleston WV on I-64 to I-70.

I had to convince my husband to do this trip, but we are planning on jeeping a few days and hiking at Arches for a few too, so probably not caravaning home.

Adding you to the map now!

I mentioned in the main thread that I may not be able to make the trip due to regularly scheduled yearly work junk I'm in charge of completing. However, if I can't go, I could potentially provide a waypoint for weary travelers including some food, booze, and maybe a place to crash. You'd have to take I-80 so it would likely only work for the people around Chicago and north. It's 13 hours and 880 miles left to go from here.

I would love to do this, but the thought of spending three consecutive days in my jeep, each way, and covering 4200 miles total isn't attractive. Maybe I can look into shipping my Jeep out and taking a train ride. That might make the trip more interesting!

• Sad
I would love to do this, but the thought of spending three consecutive days in my jeep, each way, and covering 4200 miles total isn't attractive. Maybe I can look into shipping my Jeep out and taking a train ride. That might make the trip more interesting!
Plane tickets are cheap right now.

Plane tickets are cheap right now.

Since I have an aluminum trailer I use for the Jeep, I'm also looking at renting a 3/4 ton truck. My current half ton pulls it and the Jeep fine, but I'm not sure I'd want to make that trip in it.

Reactions: Apparition
Since I have an aluminum trailer I use for the Jeep, I'm also looking at renting a 3/4 ton truck. My current half ton pulls it and the Jeep fine, but I'm not sure I'd want to make that trip in it.
Just did a 1850 mile round trip to get the Jeep with a heavy Uhaul trailer towed by my GMC Sierra 1500. Worked great.

Just did a 1850 mile round trip to get the Jeep with a heavy Uhaul trailer towed by my GMC Sierra 1500. Worked great.

Since I have an older truck, with 150+K on it, the towing capacity is only 6800 lbs. With an 1100 lb trailer and a 4400 lb vehicle, plus what I would bring with me, I'd be at my maximum capacity. Rather than chance being the one to break down, it would be better to just rent a 3/4 ton.

Since I have an older truck, with 150+K on it, the towing capacity is only 6800 lbs. With an 1100 lb trailer and a 4400 lb vehicle, plus what I would bring with me, I'd be at my maximum capacity. Rather than chance being the one to break down, it would be better to just rent a 3/4 ton.
Absolutely dont want to be at or near capacity!