TJ Fest Moab 2021 Overlanding vs Hoteling

My current list that's still being out together.

1. Tables. At least one for kitchen, one for dining, And one for inside the tent. I don't want to have to lug a table in and out of the tent for eating.
2. Tote, or some kind of, storage organization. Kitchen-toiletires-bedding-r&r(chairs n things)-insect&sun defense.
3. Try and fix my 12v cooler fridge.
4. Better quality stakes & mallet for tent setup.
5. At least one dining fly, incase of rain / campsite without much shade

Tables You should check out the Lifetime 4' Fold-in-Half table available at Home Depot for about $40. Walmart has a version the same size and another that folds slightly smaller, but both are too wobbly for me. I will be interested to see what you come up with because I have tried many options and still haven't found the "perfect table for me." I currently use a drop down tailgate table and a small plastic folding camp table or two but am always looking for something better.

Totes Plano makes some good boxes that are relatively inexpensive. Rubbermaid Action Packers are also popular. After using many different totes and boxes, I eventually settled on two Front Runner Cub Packs behind the rear seat in my LJ - one for the camp kitchen and the other the "trail box" with tire tools, bottle jack, BFH, etc. I use the larger Front Runner Wolf Pack boxes in my Xterra. Google the "three box packing system" discussed on some of the overlanding forums for some other options.

Dining Fly/Sunshade I have become a proponent of the Noah's Tarp by Kelty. I have two, a 9' and a 12'. They are reasonably priced, lightweight, pack small, and are easy to set up.

This video is a good example of why you shouldn’t drag a trailer if you don’t really need to. Hoping to do this trail this year, I’m throwing in a ground tent for this trail.

That could have just as easily been a broken jeep, not sure how this qualifies your statement. But to each his own.

That could have just as easily been a broken jeep, not sure how this qualifies your statement. But to each his own.
You need your Jeep, you don’t need a trailer on some trails. I’m not against trailers but as people who do their best to minimize breakdown risk it’s important to understand need vs want.

You need your Jeep, you don’t need a trailer on some trails. I’m not against trailers but as people who do their best to minimize breakdown risk it’s important to understand need vs want.
Ok,I see your point if someone is bringing their trailer on every trail and returning to the same place to camp, that is dumb, but is you are traveling through an area........
Personally, I enjoy a good nights sleep, the memory foam mattress is awesome ;)

Just wanted to add that you can also get showers at truck stops if there isn't a PF nearby. You pay for a private bathroom that is sanitized between patrons, shower shoes recommended though.

Reactions: Apparition
An LJ seems better for an over landing rig, or pull a trailer. No on Gobi rack, can you still get in the garage? Trailer on trail only if your sleeping on trail, otherwise a limiting factor.

Overland if you want, but take a few trips ahead of time to sort out the details. In the end it would cost less, but it costs more up front.

Damn this thread... Now the wheels in my head are spinning. I have most of the stuff to equip a small trailer for "overlanding."

Harbor freight 4x8 trailer...250 bucks.
Two Jeep tubs to marry into one trailer (probably less than 100 a piece)

Some plywood for cabinets like @Mr. Bills has, 50 bucks.

This could come together pretty inexpensively...