Gear Recommendation for TJ Fest Moab 2021

Winches are over-rated for Moab for most of the trails a street driven Jeep will likely do.
We were there last Aug with a group of 8 Jeeps and each Jeep used a winch exactly once, zero use of a tow strap.
Moab Rim, Kane Creek, Golden Spike, Poison Spider, Hells Revenge, Fins & Things, Top of the World, Gold Bar Rim, Where Eagles Dare and a few other trails ran without incident.
Don’t get me wrong, if you have a winch by all means leave it on the Jeep and bring an appropriate winch accessory kit to go along with it but I wouldn’t feel it’s an absolute requirement, especially if traveling with a group.
I highly recommend a decent selection of tools and communication gear and a fridge is a godsend when it gets hot, nothing like an ice cold water when it’s 100 plus out, especially if you’re from someplace that doesn’t see that kind of heat like Canada😁

RADIOS:

I understand that GMRS radios are suggested for the run. GMRS is in the UHF band. Many offroaders run "race radios" which are in the VHF band.

For those of you running CB radios, you may want to consider the VHF/UHF Baofeng UV5R radio on Amazon that sells for $35.00. This way you can talk to the rest of the group!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007H4VT7A/?tag=wranglerorg-20

If you buy one, I will program your radio in Moab for FREE with all the frequencies you'll need to communicate with the group, each other, people you don't know and anything else you might need. This can include private tones so you only hear people you want to hear.

If you want to step up your game you can get an...

external antenna https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016SIJX28/?tag=wranglerorg-20

a hand mic https://www.amazon.com/s?k=uv-5r+mi...mic,electronics,199&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_9

power cord https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KZ6VGUW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

If you have any questions let me know. Understand that I absolutely hate Baofeng radios but they are cheap and work and I have the software to program the UV-5R (and Rugged V2 and V3). Just the basic handheld is all you really need as long as the battery will last all day. Just charge it every night at camp or get the extra items listed.

If you are running ham radios you can talk to me about those too.

Dino KX6D

I’m trying to figure out this radio stuff and would welcome your help . I have never used a cb or gmsr, but I have had a ham on rye lol. I might have it figured out by the time we get there but if not I’ll be trying to contact you. Thanks

Is anyone going to carry a fuel can at Moab?
When I have done trails around Ouray if I recall correctly i would only get 5-6 gallons in each day after 6 hours on trail. I hate the idea of carrying gas inside the Jeep.

When I have done trails around Ouray if I recall correctly i would only get 5-6 gallons in each day after 6 hours on trail. I hate the idea of carrying gas inside the Jeep.
I wouldn’t unless going to elephant hill or hole in the rock everything else is close. I keep the tank filled before I start the day.

Pretty much everything is close enough it’s not necessary at all. If you run elephant hill maybe run down to montecello first, but otherwise in the area you’ll likely be good outside of exceptional cases.

I had plenty after leaving Moab, running white rim, going back into canyon lands, and then out to I70 - just as a rough reference.

Gas cans are for mall crawlers 😁
Dammit!

49C19F23-EF9E-4050-9680-952B896C0EF8.jpeg

X2. In Moab, the only roto I‘ve ever actually opened is the white one.
Yeah, I learned last year that leaving the white one on the truck rack was a mistake when my radiator blew on golden spike. Thankfully I bummed some water from a couple jeeps until the trail rescue guy showed up with more.

I have opened the red ones, to let the pressure equalize.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ