Utah Moab Trip 4/27/19-5/5/19

@lowranger, @Alex01 what did you guys do to your wood beds to keep them up? I am pretty sure my wood floor is all stock with no sealer or protection. I store it outside, and it rains like crazy in the summer, and it can get up to 121 degrees, How do I protect the wood?

@lowranger, @Alex01 what did you guys do to your wood beds to keep them up? I am pretty sure my wood floor is all stock with no sealer or protection. I store it outside, and it rains like crazy in the summer, and it can get up to 121 degrees, How do I protect the wood?
My wood was toast so I replaced the whole deck with pressure treated wood. Lowranger is probably a better source. For decks on homes I have always lighly sanded and thrown on a coat of sealer every other year. Not sure if its relevant but they have held up great.

Does your trailer have pressure treated wood or un treated? If untreated make sure you seal the bottom also so it doesn't rot from the bottom up.

My wood was toast so I replaced the whole deck with pressure treated wood. Lowranger is probably a better source. For decks on homes I have always lighly sanded and thrown on a coat of sealer every other year. Not sure if its relevant but they have held up great.

Does your trailer have pressure treated wood or un treated? If untreated make sure you seal the bottom also so it doesn't rot from the bottom up.

I don't know; I am all new to this trailer thing, but it looks untreated. I think the treated wood has little slits in it right?

I don't know; I am all new to this trailer thing, but it looks untreated. I think the treated wood has little slits in it right?
Usually treated wood will be green if its new, IF its older its as good as untreated. Older equates to a year or so.

You want to focus on treating the top, sides and ends. Bottom is supposed to be left untreated so water that does get in can escape easily.

Last edited:
Reactions: ac_
Usually untreated wood will be green if its new, IF its older its as good as untreated. Older equates to a year or so.
Ok mine is a few years old so it sounds like I need to treat it. What do you suggest? Have you done it before? I was reading people put diesel fuel on it, but that seems like an old home cure remedy. What do you think?

Ok mine is a few years old so it sounds like I need to treat it. What do you suggest? Have you done it before? I was reading people put diesel fuel on it, but that seems like an old home cure remedy. What do you think?
I’ve done several decks and hot tub skirts before. Diesel is fine for a trailer. Top and sides and ends only, not the bottom. Any water that does get in (and it will) you will want to allow to escape out the bottom. I use this stuff with the restore-a-deck kit. It’s a little pricey.

https://wooddeckstain.net/product/t...3FICfluDj2ysjFC5Sf6buWDplNQ2fg2hoCqPgQAvD_BwE

When I bought my trailer the wood deck was old and needed replacing. I replaced it with treated wood.
If you aren't sure, I would go ahead and treat it like JMT says.

Reactions: ac_
When I bought my trailer the wood deck was old and needed replacing. I replaced it with treated wood.
If you aren't sure, I would go ahead and treat it like JMT says.
yeah I am going to check that out! Looks like there is a lot of prep work for that. It will wait till after our trip! It isn't too bad, just need to do it before the heat of summer and the rain of summer.

yeah I am going to check that out! Looks like there is a lot of prep work for that. It will wait till after our trip! It isn't too bad, just need to do it before the heat of summer and the rain of summer.
We can all stand around your trailer with a beer in Moab and have all kinds of ideas for you. :)

Getting back to the trip, what is everyone's ability level / intention for hitting the trails? I don't think that I will be getting into anything too hairy... The only modification that I have to my Sahara is a 4" lift and bumpers with a winch, and I sure would prefer to not break anything. I've never been to Moab before either, anyone in here familiar with the area?

Getting back to the trip, what is everyone's ability level / intention for hitting the trails? I don't think that I will be getting into anything too hairy... The only modification that I have to my Sahara is a 4" lift and bumpers with a winch, and I sure would prefer to not break anything. I've never been to Moab before either, anyone in here familiar with the area?
@qslim...I think there will be several people like you. Me for one...I don't want destroy my Jeep. I've been to Moab twice. Some people are doing some research on what trails they want to take and know what difficulty level they are. If you're not sure what trails to take, go with someone that is on the same page as you. I believe we are meeting late Sunday afternoon at the Brewery in Moab. We can discuss what trails we are going to take on Monday then. I'm sure there will be several to choose from.

Reactions: tomtaylz and JMT

Yeah I’m on the same boat, I’m driving 15 hours over and need to drive 15 hours back. I’ll be doing a few more technical trails but for the most part I prefer more overland type trails with beautiful views and won’t be wheeling everyday either.

Reactions: JMT
I’ve never been, but I do wheel an area known as The Little Moab.” It looks like this.
5D2D882C-0C8E-4755-8041-06433FA78C91.jpeg

I’m on 3” SL and 1.25” BL and 33’s with a 1” Gas Tank Tuck Locked front and rear. I’m not too worried. I’ve always driven home and I know when I get to an obstacle if it’s doable, on the fence, or over the line. We can always stack rocks if we need too. Find-n-things should be easy, Hell’s Revenge a little more difficult, but there are bypasses along the way, Top of the World is a step up from Hell’s. Then there’s Elephant Hill if we want to do that. It’s more overlandish to my knowledge. All looks good whatever we decide. I like to test my rig, sightseeing is secondary, as I think that is a given no matter what trail you run.

I stand corrected. I guess everything you read on the interwebs isn't true. :p
The reason, in my understanding, is that whatever you treat the surface with will degrade quicker on the top surface due to rain and direct sunlight, while on the bottom it will last longer. Over time water will seep in from the top but not be able to escape as easily from the bottom. Then it will rot quicker. Ultimately, it's a good idea to re-coat every 2-5 years, depending on what chemical you are using.

I'm game for a mix of difficulties. I'll be teamed up with my father in-law with his jku most the trip so I'm sure I'll most the time I will be on the easier / moderate spectrum of trails but I do want to break off a few times and run something a bit more challenging. Banging skids doesn't really bother me but high risk of rollover and extreme off camber does. I would be in for Elephant Hill if we get a few people together. I believe its groups of 3 in 30 min intervals.

I’ve never been, but I do wheel an area known as The Little Moab.” It looks like this.
View attachment 84338
I’m on 3” SL and 1.25” BL and 33’s with a 1” Gas Tank Tuck Locked front and rear. I’m not too worried. I’ve always driven home and I know when I get to an obstacle if it’s doable, on the fence, or over the line. We can always stack rocks if we need too. Find-n-things should be easy, Hell’s Revenge a little more difficult, but there are bypasses along the way, Top of the World is a step up from Hell’s. Then there’s Elephant Hill if we want to do that. It’s more overlandish to my knowledge. All looks good whatever we decide. I like to test my rig, sightseeing is secondary, as I think that is a given no matter what trail you run.
I've been on all of those except Elephant Hill....all good trails. We did Hell's Revenge and Top of the World in one day...not recommended, it was a long day and we ended coming out of Top of the World in the dark and got back into Moab at Midnight. I would like to do Top of the World again, but will make it a one day run....who's in with me?

Reactions: tomtaylz
I've been on all of those except Elephant Hill....all good trails. We did Hell's Revenge and Top of the World in one day...not recommended, it was a long day and we ended coming out of Top of the World in the dark and got back into Moab at Midnight. I would like to do Top of the World again, but will make it a one day run....who's in with me?
I am all in for Top of the World, one day run!

I'm sure I can make that happen. It's on our list of trails to go on.