Moab, Utah Trying to Control UTVs

A little too much right foot. But dad told her to PUNCH IT around the last barrel.

IMG_3330C_zpsawydhjqd.jpg

But she won some prizes

Jeep%20Rodeo_zpsyudwqtk0.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: JMT and Rick Flair
People complain about tourists anywhere that tourists step foot. My sister in NYC hates tourists. When I lived in Jackson, Wyoming we all hated tourists. But they bring extremely valuable revenue to the town. Jackson wouldn't exist without tourists and Moab would just be another run down middle of nowhere Utah town.

If UTV's are making too much noise, the town is well within their rights to regulate those machines, but at that point it isn't the owners or the drivers causing trouble as much as it is the machines.

Reactions: Wildman
A couple thoughts.

The noisiest things I remember at Moab were motorcycles with their radios blaring. Or loud pipes.

The other thing is many of these UTV’s come in toy haulers. It’s not as easy as dragging a trailer to the trail head. It’s pack up camp and move your house back and forth.

Reactions: Rick Flair
It’s also an ATV vs a UTV.

Yep and my Honda 450 and Yamaha 450’s were like $40 a month.

My 2014 RZR 1000 was $42.

My coworker bought a 2019 RZR turbo was in the mid $70’s. He said in a year, Farmers shot his rates over $300. He called his agent and he was told, the wrecks and injuries (dunes again) the agency didn’t want to insure them anymore. He sold it, bought a TJ and gave up on it.

I’m sure it differs from place to place and all, but here, nope.

Reactions: Apparition
Yep and my Honda 450 and Yamaha 450’s were like $40 a month.

My 2014 RZR 1000 was $42.

My coworker bought a 2019 RZR turbo was in the mid $70’s. He said in a year, Farmers shot his rates over $300. He called his agent and he was told, the wrecks and injuries (dunes again) the agency didn’t want to insure them anymore. He sold it, bought a TJ and gave up on it.

I’m sure it differs from place to place and all, but here, nope.
That’s crazy. My crotch rocket was only $310/year when I was 25.

Reactions: Rick Flair
It would seem to me if the complaint is NOISE then have a noise ordnance for a db level and ticket those who have loud rigs.

I think you'd be pulling over all UTV's then. Those RAZR's are loud as shit. One of the reasons I don't think they're suitable for trail riding like we all enjoy in our Jeeps. If you aren't going fast blasting around, they're annoying as fuck to drive.

Being in Arizona, every other neighbor of mine has either a golf cart or a UTV. The only issue I have with them so far is that a few of the neighbors (only a few) have obnoxiously loud exhausts, and with the nature of those engines, they are very, very buzzy.

Some of them like to throttle it up-and-down the streets which is a bit obnoxious. Fortunately they don't do it at night or early in the morning, so I don't care enough to say anything.

I think you'd be pulling over all UTV's then. Those RAZR's are loud as shit. One of the reasons I don't think they're suitable for trail riding like we all enjoy in our Jeeps. If you aren't going fast blasting around, they're annoying as fuck to drive.

Stock they aren't that bad. I know the exhaust seems to be one of the first things that is changed out but. I'm not sure there is any real way to control it other than to have the permits like others have said and fine or impound their rig if they don't have it or it's expired. But I don't like that idea because I don't want more laws.

I use to stay at this RV park in OR on the beach that had a noise level rule for his campground. And yes anything over stock would violate his db rules. But it was a nice place so it was worth it to stay there.

I'm still on a few of the SXS groups for WA because I had my Wildcat but ended up selling it becasue I couldn't drive it anymore. But they talk about all the negative comments being made about the SXS crowd. It's funny to read their comments about Jeeps too.

Here’s a statistic

in 2018 240,000 new Wranglers were sold

In 2018 more than 458,000 new UTVs were sold in the US.
More perspective just for fun.

In 2018, a Ford F-150 or Super Duty pickup was sold every 29.3 seconds, on average. Ford sold nearly 1.1 milliontrucks globally in 2018.

Who here owns a UTV and a built TJ? Which one do you find yourself choosing more when off-roading is on the schedule?

While I don’t disagree with you wanting to bring them into the fold, the same was said about three wheelers and quads to the old Jeepers and buggy guys.

The difference is, the UTV’s have a different purpose and path. They are toys. You can’t road trip them. You can’t be hauling your gear for multiple days and gear from trail to trail. The truck and trailers required leaves them as a day use toy.

Now, we share day use trails of course but places can and need to regulate them from destroying things. We are taking machines that do 80+ mph, have huge amounts of suspension travel and they are marketed to go fast and shred.

Put a bunch behind Jeep’s and they will be bored. Their go fast machines belong in the dunes, desert and open spaces, not a Jeep trail.

They need their own space. I don’t see people giving up their 4x4’s in favor of UTV’s. I’ve owned both and they are different enough you can just separate them and everything would work.
I use my UTV as a work horse on the ranch. Once it rains and the roads get soft. No more Jeeps on the roads to rut them up. Then it's strictly ATV or UTV on the ranch to get the work done.

IMG_20180327_124038768_HDR.jpg

I am all for keeping lands open for offroading, but it seems to me that the complaint is about what is happening within the town. If my assumption is correct, then this part doesn't sit well with me:

1603604168426.png

The RESIDENTS are complaining that the visitors are trashing the joint with their lawlessness and noise. The VISITORS are saying FU we are going to do what we want in your house all weekend then head to our house for a little peace and quite.