Moab, Utah Trying to Control UTVs

I guess I should elaborate. We have a good club of UTV owners up here over in the Bend area. Older riders and good folks.

But the bad ones really give the good one a uphill battle.
That’s the way it has always been, some of the immature ones (regardless of age) create problems for the rest of us to deal with.

I visited Moab on a Jeep Jamboree a few years ago. A bunch of these clowns made their presence known by screaming up and down 191. It was a giant, obnoxious, dick-waving, "look at me" display.

If these folks wanted a "sensible compromise", they should've policed their own. Instead, they ended up pissing off enough people that the government started getting involved.

Sounds like it's too late for that and now they're playing the victim card. Screw 'em.

I visited Moab on a Jeep Jamboree a few years ago. A bunch of these clowns made their presence known by screaming up and down 191. It was a giant, obnoxious, dick-waving, "look at me" display.

If these folks wanted a "sensible compromise", they should've policed their own. Instead, they ended up pissing off enough people that the government started getting involved.

Sounds like it's too late for that and now they're playing the victim card. Screw 'em.

You reminded me of one of my last work trips to Chicago last year. I remember being stuck in traffic on Division out on the west side each day. Twice I saw a couple quads and a dirt bike tearing in and out of traffic on and off the sidewalk. Despite my dutiful sense of disapproval, it was a lot of fun to see that in the big city.

Last edited:
You reminded me of one of my last work trips to Chicago last year. I remember being stuck in traffic on Division out on the west side each day. Twice I saw a couple quads and a dirt bike tearing in and out of traffic on and off the sidewalk. Despite my strong sense of disapproval, it was a lot of fun to see that in the big city.

Such shenanigans never occurs in an upstanding city like Chicago. I don't believe you.

Sounds like gun owners

I was thinking the same thing as I read through this thread.

As you go into the mountains from Colorado Springs, pretty much as soon as you get into national forest land where it's legal to shoot, you'll start seeing spots that are positively trashed with junk people have brought out to use as targets, from empty beer cans to furniture. That would be bad enough, but the ground is also literally almost covered with shell casings and shot shell wadding. I'm as pro 2A as they get but every time I see that I know that it's just gonna take the wrong lefty driving by in their Subaru to start a crusade and get it all shut down.

And yeah, I feel the same about UTV's. My favorite area to wheel is in the Ouray/Lake City/Silverton area. 10 years ago I barely saw them. Now they're all over the place, and with their need for speed they tear the trails all to hell. If I owned property in the area I would totally vote against UTV's on the streets in Silverton and Lake City. Ouray and Telluride don't allow them and wouldn't you know, the trails that connect to Ouray and Telluride have a lot less traffic because the only way to do them on UTV's is to do them as out-and-back or figure out how to get a trailer waiting for you on the other side.

You have already gotten snow up there?
I'm not central OR but it snowed here in central WA last night and we're having a hail storm right now.

20201024_124346.jpg

20201024_124400.jpg

Not a fan of more regulations too bad it came to that.

I do recall that there were lots of UTV’s at the campground we stayed at. They weren’t a noise issue because they woke up after we left and they returned to cam before we did. Lots of sitting around grilling and drinking for them.

I'm with you on that. I hate more and more rules and regulations but sometimes it seems it's the only thing that gets thru for some people. And as we all know even then there are going to be some how still don't give a shit and will do as they please.

I'm with you on that. I hate more and more rules and regulations but sometimes it seems it's the only thing that gets thru for some people. And as we all know even then there are going to be some how still don't give a shit and will do as they please.
In a world of defund the police we push more regulations. Maybe a psychologist can be used to get people to slow down?