Moab, Utah Trying to Control UTVs

Who here owns a UTV and a built TJ? Which one do you find yourself choosing more when off-roading is on the schedule?

Sold the UTV and 18’ trailer and bought the TJ.

Only way I’d own another is if I bought property. As i am looking at 4+ acres in AR....I would buy one for that.

My TJ isn’t going anywhere.

You can here in Arizona ;)

I'm always shocked at the amount of UTVs I see down here on the roads including the highways. I'm not saying it would be fun to road trip, but they are very easy to make street legal here in Arizona, at which point they can go anywhere in the state on any road you want. Not sure how other states are.

It just a matter of time before the overlander crowds starts decorating their UTVs.

There are also alot of older retired (Gray people) that buy them to get out and explore old ghost towns and other places with their friends.
We went out wheeling with two retired couples we met at our last KOA stay up in Wyoming. One was in a Honda Talon, the other was in something similar. Typical of what we usually see at a KOA, folks in the 60s or 70s who planned well, just touring the country in their class A Allegro towing something small behind them.

I was asking one of the gentlemen about why they take the UTV around instead of something like a Jeep, & he said that he actually got rid of his Jeep for the Talon because it's much less work to drive. In his little Talon he can see everything, it's smooth as glass, and he can go everywhere without getting worn out. They didn't break 20mph the whole trip!

Bet you can't do this in your boomer TJ

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGxZqqwhmzb/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
(Hope the link works)
The first 3 or 4 times we went out after getting the TJ my then 6 year old boy kept asking me to do some jumps. His only frame of reference for anything with big tires was going to see monster truck rallies & driving his traxxas. #JeepLife was a bit of a letdown for him at first, all bored in the backseat not getting any sweet air.

Last edited:
The first 3 or 4 times we went out after getting the TJ my then 6 year old boy kept asking me to do some jumps. His only frame of reference for anything with big tires were going to see monster truck rallies & driving his traxxas. #JeepLife was a bit of a letdown for him at first, all bored in the backseat not getting any sweet air.

Back when I was 8 or 9, I used to tell my Dad that a Jeep wasn't a real Jeep unless it has been rolled or had all four tires off the ground. Many years later and I still don't own a real Jeep :(

Back when I was 8 or 9, I used to tell my Dad that a Jeep wasn't a real Jeep unless it has been rolled or had all four tires off the ground. Many years later and I still don't own a real Jeep :(
Growing up flying through the air on quads and earning the painful nights and ambulance rides associated with it. I’m fine crawling now.

Growing up flying through the air on quads and earning the painful nights and ambulance rides associated with it. I’m fine crawling now.
I've only been in Utah for four years & had 3 coworkers who's kids had some pretty serious injuries on quads/dirtbikes/UTVs. My boy's 8 now, he's been beating me up for a dirt bike pretty hard. Hell no, I've seen him ride his regular bikes. He got his first MTB this past spring, first time out he decided he "wanted to see how far he could jump into the bushes" (real quote) after barreling down a steep hill into a carved bank & jumping right over the edge.

I should have never showed him those old Pastrana videos.

I've only been in Utah for four years & had 3 coworkers who's kids had some pretty serious injuries on quads/dirtbikes/UTVs. My boy's 8 now, he's been beating me up for a dirt bike pretty hard. Hell no, I've seen him ride his regular bikes. He got his first MTB this past spring, first time out he decided he "wanted to see how far he could jump into the bushes" (real quote) after barreling down a steep hill into a carved bank & jumping right over the edge.

I should have never showed him those old Pastrana videos.
My daughter is 7 she’s getting a 50cc Honda for Christmas. She won’t be jumping it.

• USA Proud
Reactions: Rick Flair
He says hopefully...
I’d be ok if she wanted to but I don’t think she would. I’ll be taking her to Bobs cycle for boots, chest protector and helmet also.

A chest protector has saved me from a broken back. If I’d have had my helmet on instead of in the truck it’d saved me an ambulance ride.

No excuses when it comes to safety.

I’d be ok if she wanted to but I don’t think she would. I’ll be taking her to Bobs cycle for boots, chest protector and helmet also.

A chest protector has saved me from a broken back. If I’d have had my helmet on instead of in the truck it’d saved me an ambulance ride.

No excuses when it comes to safety.

AGAOTT

Reactions: Apparition