Moving Drag Link Position On Knuckle With Crossover Steering

carrotman

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Maybe this applies to more JKs than TJs, but for crossover steering setups, what measurements matter in regards to the location where the drag link mounts to the knuckle? I know the distance between the mounting point and the steering inclination axis will affect the steering rate, but what about moving that mounting location inboard? That wouldn't affect Ackerman at all, right, that is only affected by the tie rod? The only issue I can imagine is if you moved the mount so far inboard that the linkages flip the wrong way when turning hard left.

The issue is, "Why mess up your steering geometry?"

Ah, well I have JK axles in my TJ, so that would be a lot of effort to take a step backwards. The reason for the thread is I'm seeing if I can do a tie rod flip on stock JK knuckles, then relocate the drag link hole so the two links clear. If you go OTK with the tie rod, the joint will hit the drag link arm on the knuckle. Just moving the hole for the drag link vertically would cause the end to hit the rim, so it would need to be moved inwards too. I'll do a separate thread on that if I actually go through with it, just trying to figure out if the geometry part even makes sense.

Ah, well I have JK axles in my TJ, so that would be a lot of effort to take a step backwards. The reason for the thread is I'm seeing if I can do a tie rod flip on stock JK knuckles, then relocate the drag link hole so the two links clear. If you go OTK with the tie rod, the joint will hit the drag link arm on the knuckle. Just moving the hole for the drag link vertically would cause the end to hit the rim, so it would need to be moved inwards too. I'll do a separate thread on that if I actually go through with it, just trying to figure out if the geometry part even makes sense.

Nothing wrong with crossover steering in a TJ - but it takes a hell of a lot of work to get it right. You've not touched on one of the most important issues, which is getting your track bar and drag link parallel and operating in the same plane at the axle side. If this is not done correctly, you wind up with bump steer. Getting all the components to play nicely together, and clear the frame and everything else within the context of the TJ's footprint - especially at full bump - is no small feat.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with crossover steering in a TJ - but it takes a hell of a lot of work to get it right. You've not touched on one of the most important issues, which is getting you track bar and drag link parallel and operating in the same plane at the axle side. If this is not done correctly, you wind up with bump steer. Getting all the components to play nicely together, and clear the frame and everything else within the context of the TJ's footprint - especially at full bump - is no small feat.

Agreed, I'm currently doing modifications to get my drag link and track bar the same length, parallel to each other, and as close to flat as I can. I fully intend to notch my frame if needed. The main reason behind this thread is to see if I can get my drag link higher on the axle side, but just flipping it in the existing JK knuckle hole puts the joint inside the rim without excessive use of wheel spacers (which would be any use of wheel spacers IMO). I've been driving around with an improperly done crossover steering setup from my JK axle swap for about 5 years now, enough is enough lol.

You may find some helpful clues in these pics from Mr Blaine .

http://justaddrocks.com/Steering Pictures/steering.htm

Much appreciated this is very helpful. Aware of a writeup or thread on this?

Reactions: NashvilleTJ and JMT
No write up that I know of . Just some of the many Easter eggs that Mr Blaine likes to drop for us .

Reactions: JMT
He has JK axles. A stock solution is no longer the answer. It will need custom steering and track bar.
In a perfect setup your drag link and track bar will be parallel and same length.

Agreed, I'm currently doing modifications to get my drag link and track bar the same length, parallel to each other, and as close to flat as I can. I fully intend to notch my frame if needed. The main reason behind this thread is to see if I can get my drag link higher on the axle side, but just flipping it in the existing JK knuckle hole puts the joint inside the rim without excessive use of wheel spacers (which would be any use of wheel spacers IMO). I've been driving around with an improperly done crossover steering setup from my JK axle swap for about 5 years now, enough is enough lol.

Much appreciated this is very helpful. Aware of a writeup or thread on this?

Definitely do a thread on what you are doing. Lot’s of good knowledge and good folks here to help. And welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
https://www.rockjock4x4.com/RJ-420000-101

Don’t have any personal experience other than Rockjock generally gets steering right
B51A7F3B-9123-427D-BE06-0C4EDF8EC0FB.png

Nothing wrong with crossover steering in a TJ - but it takes a hell of a lot of work to get it right. You've not touched on one of the most important issues, which is getting your track bar and drag link parallel and operating in the same plane at the axle side. If this is not done correctly, you wind up with bump steer. Getting all the components to play nicely together, and clear the frame and everything else within the context of the TJ's footprint - especially at full bump - is no small feat.

Indeed.