My 2006 Jeep Wrangler Sport caught fire

PJinHouston

Yesterday my Jeep caught fire under the hood ... I saw on the internet where this could be a common problem with Jeep Wranglers. My Wrangler is a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Sport RHD. It appears to me (my opinion) that something caught around the fuse/battery area under the hood.

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-09 at 1.40.30 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-09 at 1.40.29 PM (7).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-09 at 1.40.29 PM (6).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-09 at 1.40.29 PM (5).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-09 at 1.40.29 PM (4).jpeg

Wow, that's a bummer. Did this happen while driving or was it just sitting there?

Wow, that's a shame, sorry to see the loss. I haven't heard of the Wrangler being any more or less prone to catching fire that any other vehicle.

I would bet they're probably a little more likely, but only due to the higher rate of modification by people that got their electrical certificates from YouTube.

Not saying that's what happened for the OP.

Wow I hated to see that happened to you!! But I don't believe that is any more of a problem with our Wrangler than any other vehicle out there. I really don't even recall seeing anyone ever posting that problem in the many years I've been hanging out in various Jeep forums.

What's your insurance company going to do? Total it?

That sure sucks!! I would have to agree in that I haven't seen any threads or evidence of wranglers catching fire. I would say it probably has more to do with aftermarket wiring not done correctly.

Wow I hated to see that happened to you!! But I don't believe that is any more of a problem with our Wrangler than any other vehicle out there. I really don't even recall seeing anyone ever posting that problem in the many years I've been hanging out in various Jeep forums.

What's your insurance company going to do? Total it?

Working through that process now.

That sure sucks!! I would have to agree in that I haven't seen any threads or evidence of wranglers catching fire. I would say it probably has more to do with aftermarket wiring not done correctly.

Everything I had done was done by 4 Wheel Parts ... I am not even close to being a mechanic. The only wiring done was a stereo set up and SPOD switches

Wrong generation of jeep, they are talking about JK's in this video.
Everything I had done was done by 4 Wheel Parts ... I am not even close to being a mechanic. The only wiring done was a stereo set up and SPOD switches

Not sure if 4 Wheel parts does quality work or not. Wiring on the winch could have rubbed through depending on the route it was ran.

Wow, sorry to see that.

I have heard of the fire issue, but only on JK and newer (as in the video posted), not for TJs as was the case here. It seems when they first rolled out the JK there was an issue, and then with the newest models there was an issue again. Whether or not it is more than for other manufacturers I cannot say.

Actually Wrangler fires are real common on JK Wranglers 2007-2011, to the point it made national news and sparked debate over Jeep manufacturing problems.

A lot more common, like scary common with virtually all of them being from the automatic transmission fluid catching fire on the exhaust manifold in the 42RLE 4-speed equipped earlier JK's.

I have personally witnessed two go up in flames.

These problems don't really appear to affect the 2003-2006 TJ/LJ's like they do the 2007-2011ish JK/JKU models. Look on line and you can find dozens of stories where people narrowly escaped being burned in their JK's when they went up suddenly like a roman candle.

RR

Sorry man that’s so horrible.

I try to fuse, wire loom, and heat shrink everything and slightly over build my wiring (diameter) to avoid self inflicted wounds.

This post makes me want to go do wire checks and hug my Jeep.