My 2006 Jeep Wrangler Sport caught fire

Everything I had done was done by 4 Wheel Parts ... I am not even close to being a mechanic. The only wiring done was a stereo set up and SPOD switches

So, the winch and the lights were just along for the ride, and not wired? Was the winch wired directly to the battery?

Not sure if 4 Wheel parts does quality work or not. Wiring on the winch could have rubbed through depending on the route it was ran.

I would expect them to be just like any other auto shop, or for that matter engineers, physicians or attorneys. A few are exceptional. A majority are competent. and the rest could flip burgers but aren't trustworthy enough to touch my food.

I would expect them to be just like any other auto shop, or for that matter engineers, physicians or attorneys. A few are exceptional. A majority are competent. and the rest could flip burgers but aren't trustworthy enough to touch my food.

I believe many techs earn their wings at a place like 4WP.

And their sales people should not be trusted to make good decisions for you.

Please share the conclusion of the insurance investigation if there is one. I will want to recheck all my aftermarket wiring. I have a lot...

Tbh, I consider wiring checks to be part of regular maintenance for us folks with aftermarket wiring.

Last edited:
My condolences for your loss. May it rest in peace.

FWIW, iirc my bother in law got his TJ after his car did this-but that was almost 2 decades ago.

Sorry man, that just sucks. Here's hoping insurance treats you fairly and makes you whole.

Kapton wiring used to be an issue on Tomcats. Doesn’t look like it was used in vehicles (I never looked till now).

iirc, the cracked insulation caused the electrical fire where one of our back-seaters ejected and the pilot disobeyed orders to eject and instead landed the fucker on fire with no canopy.

Our CO scolded him then awarded him with the Navy Cross.

That sounds just like- Captain Pete “Maverick “ Mitchell. 😂

Doubtful there will ever be a cooler aircraft to me than the Tomcat.

• USA Proud
Reactions: MikeE024
Having seen those horrible pictures and not wanting to see anything like that again, what are y'all doing to protect your winch wiring? Mine is presently hardwired to the battery, but I can see how that might be an issue. High current on/off switch at the battery? Seen several on Amazon, but all look Chinese to me. Don't want to make things worse. How about it?

Having seen those horrible pictures and not wanting to see anything like that again, what are y'all doing to protect your winch wiring? Mine is presently hardwired to the battery, but I can see how that might be an issue. High current on/off switch at the battery? Seen several on Amazon, but all look Chinese to me. Don't want to make things worse. How about it?

A mechanical switch would certainly do the trick.

I imagine McMaster-Carr and Grainger would have options you can trust.

A way to at least reduce your risk exposure would be to put the solenoid box near the battery. That way most of the length is only hot if you're using the winch.

There was a recall issued for the early TJs for a heat shield around the the exhaust manifold to keep debris from catching fire. I ignored that for years and mine did eventually catch fire from a mouse nest on top of the manifold. After that I installed the heatshield!