My build

Another chevy v8 swap. Good luck stinger, hope it turns out well! 33" tires and a Chevy V8 are perfect for the wet side of Oregon...
I grew up wheeling around Mill City and Gates but spent plenty of time getting unstuck in the valley in a 1953 Willys pickup.

Right now I'm running 315/75/16. Been great rock crawlers not so great in snow:(, haven't had them in the mud, or sand.

StG58. Just saw your post about elk in the tire size thread. Hunting when I was growing up was a euphemism for wheeling. :)

Reactions: StG58
StG58. Just saw your post about elk in the tire size thread. Hunting when I was growing up was a euphemism for wheeling. :)
That's hilarious! I have a friend that calls it "armed camping". The oldest daughter and I use deer season as an excuse to get out and do a little wheeling and Elk scouting. Mostly wheeling. We are going to get into some serious trouble one of these days on our outings. She is the navigator and will pick a track on the fly. "Hey Dad, I bet there's deer down (up) there!" Last time out cost me a fender flare. Love my girls... Oldest is a medical professional and youngest is a lieutenant in 1st SOG. Both of them are old school outdoorsmen and the bright spots in my life.

Never spent much time around Mill City and Gates. Would like to though. Every time we head up past Detroit the thought comes to mind that I need to spend a little more time up there exploring. Almost bought a set of navigation instruments from a lady in Mill City, her husband had passed away and she was selling a really nice sextant, and old school chronometer and some other gear. Couldn't get connected and the money ended up going to another need. It was too bad. Her husband had really nice stuff and the price was more than fair. He was an officer in the merchant marine for years.

I'm interested in the details of your build and how it handles. A Gen IV engine and NP4500 transmission may be in my future. (I think it's the NP4500, the 5 speed that bolts up to the Gen IV in GMC / Chevy pickups anyway.) I hear it's a good swap, not ugly expensive nor stupid complicated. Lots of good donors floating around for not a ton of money. Everyone wants the 4x4's and there are a lot of old work trucks that are 2x4's with totally beat bodies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris and Stinger
A few more
48.jpg
54.jpg
56.jpg
58.jpg
61.jpg
86.jpg
65.jpg
68.jpg
83.jpg
87.jpg

90.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Told my wife it is my coffin. She said it may be the reason for my coffin!

Reactions: Adam
Haha... What an awesome coffin that would be!

Do you have children to pass it on to one day?

Damn, check out that rusted window frame!

BTW, what color is that you painted it?

Damn, check out that rusted window frame!

BTW, what color is that you painted it?
My YJ, TJ and this one all had rusted frames. Several flaws that just keep showing up over and over in the Wrangler line

My YJ, TJ and this one all had rusted frames. Several flaws that just keep showing up over and over in the Wrangler line

Yeah, I don't know what's up with Jeeps and rust. I mean I've owned numerous other cars that never had rust issues like these vehicles do, so I'm not sure if it's something to with the type of metal used or what.

The color is a KIA factory shade called Sunset Orange. Haven't even had it on a proper trail yet and it's beat to crap. Not the paints fault just a of moving half way through a major frame off restoration---then having a ton of major maintenance left to do. I may repainted if I have time before July.
I had a 545 in my 73 El Camanio. Remember 73 and the oil embargo. Could not keep the rear tires locked up or the fuel gauge off empty. Traded it in on a first gen Jeep Cherokee. Sure wish I still had that jeep!

The color is a KIA factory shade called Sunset Orange. Haven't even had it on a proper trail yet and it's beat to crap. Not the paints fault just a of moving half way through a major frame off restoration---then having a ton of major maintenance left to do. I may repainted if I have time before July.
I had a 545 in my 73 El Camanio. Remember 73 and the oil embargo. Could not keep the rear tires locked up or the fuel gauge off empty. Traded it in on a first gen Jeep Cherokee. Sure wish I still had that jeep!

How did you decide on that color? I plan on taking my tub off at some point and having the entire thing repainted, just can't decide on the color yet!

How did you decide on that color? I plan on taking my tub off at some point and having the entire thing repainted, just can't decide on the color yet!

Wife and I went to an auto paint store and looked thru several hundred, or just maybe 15, paint chip books. Wanted something different but now it seems every one has it or close to it. Same they happened when I painted my white 95 highlighter yellow. Next year ever other jeep in Moab was yellow.