My First Jeep - Build Plans

Hey, one other thing I've been wondering after all of my reading here... when I re-gear do I go 4.10 or 4.56? I have 31" tires now and I haven't done much wheeling at all yet... so I don't know if I'll ever want to go to 33's or not. I have read where some of you guys did go the 33 route and then thought it was a bit of a waste and wished you had stayed at 31 so I'm not sure what I would do. My feeling is I should over gear if anything and go for the 4.56 even if If I stay with 31's but will it be too much RPM on the highway?
Regearing can be a big expense. First, I’d find out what gearing is best for the biggest tires you may run. What engine, transmission and max tire size? Second, what ratio do you have now? If it’s the dreaded 3.07 a regear would be almost a given. Third, if you have 3.73 I’d stick with it until after I got the tires to see if you can live with it, and if you like that tire size. It’s one of those things you want to do just once. My .02c

My jeep has the 4.0L, 5 speed transmission, and yes the 3.07 gears. I have 31's on it now so I was planning to re-gear to 4.10 but I wonder if I'd be better off going to 4.56 in case I ever go to 33 inch tires. Have any of your run 31's on 4.56? Would it be too many RPM on the highway?

On another note, I had success dropping the fuel tank last night, thanks for all of the replies and help. That electrical connector was by far the toughest part... and I thought it would be the fuel lines. On to the rear part of the OME lift tonight.

My jeep has the 4.0L, 5 speed transmission, and yes the 3.07 gears. I have 31's on it now so I was planning to re-gear to 4.10 but I wonder if I'd be better off going to 4.56 in case I ever go to 33 inch tires. Have any of your run 31's on 4.56? Would it be too many RPM on the highway?

On another note, I had success dropping the fuel tank last night, thanks for all of the replies and help. That electrical connector was by far the toughest part... and I thought it would be the fuel lines. On to the rear part of the OME lift tonight.
@Rob5589, your expertise needed here on a regear ratio. See ^^^

If you truly will stay with 31's, the 4.10 will work fine. 4.56 is the usual rec for 33's and the 5 spd. 4.56 with the 31's would put you at about 2800 at 70, so certainly doable and even preferable to many.

Reactions: JMT
The OME kit I received only came with (2) bump stop spacers for the rear. Should there be some for the front? They are only 1/2" or 3/4" thick... is that enough for just the OME 2.5" lift or do I need more?

Hey, one other thing I've been wondering after all of my reading here... when I re-gear do I go 4.10 or 4.56? I have 31" tires now and I haven't done much wheeling at all yet... so I don't know if I'll ever want to go to 33's or not. I have read where some of you guys did go the 33 route and then thought it was a bit of a waste and wished you had stayed at 31 so I'm not sure what I would do. My feeling is I should over gear if anything and go for the 4.56 even if If I stay with 31's but will it be too much RPM on the highway?

With 4.56 you'll be fine on the highway. It may be over geared a bit for 31" tires, but it's better to over gear than under gear IMHO.

The OME kit I received only came with (2) bump stop spacers for the rear. Should there be some for the front? They are only 1/2" or 3/4" thick... is that enough for just the OME 2.5" lift or do I need more?

Wondering how this lift install went. Pretty sure it's the one I'm going with in a couple weeks and would like to see and hear of any issues you ran into or tips you can provide.

Hey, I know it's been months since I started this thread, but I've finished most of what I set out to do. Have the OME lift in, winch, bumpers, bedliner'd the hard top and fender flares, tires, tinted the rear windows etc. I even got my first deer with it yesterday with my little girl. My son and I have completed most of the projects together and that was what I was really after. it's been a lot of fun. I will have to read how to tune my CB radio as I don't think it is working properly yet. I did the TC drop when i did the lift but I still have some slight vibrations when taking off so I will likely still do the SYE. Or maybe the motor mounts.

The last thing is to re-gear and add e-lockers to the front and back but this will likely be next year... that's quite a pricey project.

After that, I've been thinking about looking for a jeep trailer that I can add a roof top tent to... there is certainly no end to the potential projects.

I would also like to try and make it to a jamboree next year.

Thanks to all for the immense knowledge base on this forum... i have learned so much.

20181027_120832.jpg

20181027_120825.jpg

20181116_101225.jpg

Hey, I know it's been months since I started this thread, but I've finished most of what I set out to do. Have the OME lift in, winch, bumpers, bedliner'd the hard top and fender flares, tires, tinted the rear windows etc. I even got my first deer with it yesterday with my little girl. My son and I have completed most of the projects together and that was what I was really after. it's been a lot of fun. I will have to read how to tune my CB radio as I don't think it is working properly yet. I did the TC drop when i did the lift but I still have some slight vibrations when taking off so I will likely still do the SYE. Or maybe the motor mounts.

The last thing is to re-gear and add e-lockers to the front and back but this will likely be next year... that's quite a pricey project.

After that, I've been thinking about looking for a jeep trailer that I can add a roof top tent to... there is certainly no end to the potential projects.

I would also like to try and make it to a jamboree next year.

Thanks to all for the immense knowledge base on this forum... i have learned so much.

View attachment 63881

View attachment 63882

View attachment 63883
Nice props! It looks real

Damn, that turned out great!

You'll really like it even more once you get it re-geared!

Ya it is a bit of a dog on the highway now... 3.07 gears... unreal.

Still debating lockers front and rear... not sure I need them but when you are doing gears it's the time to do it. I am pretty sure I will only ever really do trail riding and I'm not too interested in mudding or rock climbing... but don't really want to open the diff's up again. If only they weren't so much money.

That is a good looking jeep. I like the way it sits on the 31s, bedliner on the top and flares looks good as do the bumpers.

I just bought mine, and I'm debating on lifting to clear the 33's its came with or stepping down to 31's. I'm thinking I might go down to 31's.