My XJ Dana 44 build

mahshall

The Dana 35 in my TJ is starting to wear out so I started to look into replacement options before it blows up.

I did some research on the forums and had decided a Ford 8.8 from an Explorer would be a good swap. I figured 8.8's are easy to find, cheapish to buy and have tons of aftermarket support. The downsides are the offset pinion, the narrower width, and the weaker c-clip design. After reading about 8.8's, I started to doubt the 8.8 swap and looked for other popular swaps.

The TJ Dana 44 would be have been ideal but they are harder to find and usually people want a ton of money for them especially if it's from a Rubicon.

While reading on a forum, someone mentioned that some 86 & 87 XJ's had Dana 44's. Awesome! They then said that the Dana 44 is considered rare, as the Dana 35 was another axle option those years. I decided to give my local junkyard a try and see what they had. I guess the Jeep gods were looking out for me that day because I found two XJ's with Dana 44's. My donor Jeep is an 87 XJ Wagoneer with 3.54 gears.

Anyway, I created this post to document my Dana 44 swap into my TJ. I've got all the parts for the disc brake swap ordered, I took the drums and drum backing plates off, and I've started removing all the grease and dirt.

My next steps will be a disc brake swap from a 96 ZJ, 5.13 gears, detroit locker, and an Artec truss. Any suggestions would be appreciated, this is my first axle swap.

3.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg

Reactions: ac_
This should be a helpful thread! What's required to get the Dana 44 from the older XJs to fit on a TJ? I assume you've got to weld some spring perches on since the XJ has leaf springs, but is there anything else required?

This should be a helpful thread! What's required to get the Dana 44 from the older XJs to fit on a TJ? I assume you've got to weld some spring perches on since the XJ has leaf springs, but is there anything else required?
Yup, all the brackets on the XJ axle will be coming off and an Artec 8.8 TJ truss will be welded on. Artec has instructions to adapt the 8.8 kit on a Dana 60 & Wagoneer Dana 44 so it should work on the XJ Dana 44, maybe.
88-truss-in-waggy.jpg

If I wasn't going the Artec route... spring perches, shock mounts, lower and upper control arm mounts, sway bar mounts, and a track bar mount would have to be welded on.

These are the costs for the purchase of the axle and disc brake swap. I still don't have the ZJ disc backing plates or calipers yet so they aren't factored in.
Costs 3:22:18.png

How did the build come out? I just picked up a new tj 44 housing so the zj disc brakes should work right? This housing is bare bones so where can I get the hard brake lines and any other small part?