Nashville TJ's Build - Continued

If you have followed me for a while you know that I have a Grandson named Luke (I call him LJ - but no one else does...). I believe reading is very important for a developing mind, so I picked up a book for LJ for Christmas.

It is a heartwarming story about a snow plow and a tow truck who save Christmas.

View attachment 294785
That was in the nonfiction section back in the 80's...from what I can recall, FWIW

Over in the thread about Swing Away or Swing Down tire carriers, my good buddy @Irun made a pretty funny wise crack about the pictures in my shop. He called it "The Look at Me Wall."

I thought it was pretty funny, but the pic he commented on was about a decade old - so here is an updated picture of my "Look at Me Wall."

IMG_0004.JPG

...and a closeup shot of the Moab section:

IMG_0007.JPG

Over in the thread about Swing Away or Swing Down tire carriers, my good buddy @Irun made a pretty funny wise crack about the pictures in my shop. He called it "The Look at Me Wall."

I thought it was pretty funny, but the pic he commented on was about a decade old - so here is an updated picture of my "Look at Me Wall."

View attachment 295523

View attachment 295524
It's a great idea, I hadn't considered. I keep buying jeep signs and things for mine but I never put them up either.

It's a great idea, I hadn't considered. I keep buying jeep signs and things for mine but I never put them up either.
Thanks Ryan. One of my other hobbies is photography, and I have a large format photo printer which prints those 13x19's. So it's pretty easy to do, and I change them out periodically. Some of my better non-Jeep work I've framed and have hanging all around the house.

Jeep signs all over the shop as well.

Reactions: Apparition and Irun
nice pick of you at the beach but i thought yellow was your color.........., blues ok. :D
Funny story about that picture. Obviously, that’s my beautiful wife, Nina, in Grand Cayman as I recall.

When I put that picture up there many years ago, our son Michael - 14 or 15 at the time - asked why I had done so.

”Michael,” I said, “every man needs a picture of a sexy woman hanging in his shop.”

Without missing a beat, Michael says “I’ll get you one…”

cool. my youngest daughter shares the name. it's not a real common name.

while your about. did you consider any other traction device in the 14B or jump right at the ARB?
considering re-gear but leavin the open carrier and tossin in a Grizzly after it's broke in. just not sure i need a 1000$ selectable locker for a dedicated trail rig.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ

while your about. did you consider any other traction device in the 14B or jump right at the ARB?
considering re-gear but leavin the open carrier and tossin in a Grizzly after it's broke in. just not sure i need a 1000$ selectable locker for a dedicated trail rig.
I’ve always run ARB’s, and since I still drive on the road a good bit, I didn’t consider anything else. I love the selectable.

On the 14 bolt for a trail rig, I’d look into a Detroit. If memory serves, it’s cheaper because it uses the stock 14 b carrier - or something like that. Hopefully someone will confirm or refute that idea.

Last edited:
I’ve always run ARB’s, and since I still drive on the road a good bit, I didn’t consider anything else. I love the selectable.

On the 14 bolt for a trail rig, I’d look into a Detroit. If memory serves, it’s cheaper because it uses the stock 14 b carrier - or something like that. Hopefully someone will confirm a refute that idea.
that's what this thing is, and rumored to be and stronger than the detroit. allows a wheel to roll different through turns, kinda thing. and i can slip it in after i break the gear set in. both in the same dollar ballpark.
they do make a full carrier 40 spline version of it too......but i have to limit my temptations of unneeded overkill.

i heard the carriers are not the greatest but they are abundant and cheap, and lets not give the old 6 banger more credit than it deserves. it's a good ol motor but it ain't gonna tear apart no 14B.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
that's what this thing is, and rumored to be and stronger than the detroit. allows a wheel to roll different through turns, kinda thing. and i can slip it in after i break the gear set in. both in the same dollar ballpark.
they do make a full carrier 40 spline version of it too......but i have to limit my temptations of unneeded overkill.

i heard the carriers are not the greatest but they are abundant and cheap, and lets not give the old 6 banger more credit than it deserves. it's a good ol motor but it ain't gonna tear apart no 14B.
40 spline means cutting off and replacing the spindles as well, right? I thought about that when I built mine, but didn't want to take that on.

40 spline means cutting off and replacing the spindles as well, right? I thought about that when I built mine, but didn't want to take that on.
yes, ECGS has the whole kit for 1600$, but just to unwarranted for a TJ...........that's rock bouncer territory.

I've got the Yukon Grizzly in my 14 bolt, no issues, works great off road. Road manners can be a little interesting though. I don't drive on the street much, but when I do I put it in FWD so that the Grizzly doesn't push me around. Likely worse as my Jeep's a 5 spd too, I've heard they're better mannered with an automatic.

Reactions: someguysjeep

View attachment 295523

View attachment 295524
Nothing more satisfying than a garage floor you could damn near eat off of, this makes my OCD incredibly happy… and there’s a pretty interesting fusion band from Chicago called garage mahal.

I like Yukon products, but I’d be hard pressed to believe the grizzly is “stronger” than a Detroit. Does anyone even know of anyone who’s blown up a Detroit? Time will be the ultimate test as the grizzly is still pretty new and the Detroit has been around for decades.

Reactions: someguysjeep
looked through the rear axle build, again.........nice work.

this brake thing is my hang up really .......what'd you upgrade under the hood to run these massive calipers front and rear?
am i correct or not thinkin the TJ booster is to small?

i feel i've asked this for some reason so forgive me if i'm being redundant.

On the 14 bolt for a trail rig, I’d look into a Detroit. If memory serves, it’s cheaper because it uses the stock 14 b carrier - or something like that. Hopefully someone will confirm a refute that idea.
Yep No-Spin 225s-10 fits in an open carrier like the big trucks do.

My dad has a grizzly in the rear and even with a manual trans it is totally fine on the street. It has better street manners than the Detroit in my opinion. There’s less slack in it.

My dad has a grizzly in the rear and even with a manual trans it is totally fine on the street. It has better street manners than the Detroit in my opinion. There’s less slack in it.
i likely misstated by stating better than. its a similar product that also seems to have a good reputation and is similar in cost as well.

Reactions: Wildman
i likely misstated by stating better than. its a similar product that also seems to have a good reputation and is similar in cost as well.
I don’t know anything about the strength but I will say I definitely liked the grizzly’s street manners better than my Detroit when we both had manuals. The auto makes it mostly invisible