Nashville TJ's Build - Continued

Said by someone who doesn't have to deal with that white crap often.... I'm so done with snow.
Dealt with it often in Oregon. I love snow when you can do something with it(I.e. snowboarding) down here it just kinda is a nuisance. I imagine in your situation it’s nothing but a nuisance.

Thanks all - it is looking like a fuel issue. When I cycle the key a few times - the fuel pump is definitely coming on each time - it starts right up. So, I'm guessing the pressure valve on the fuel pump. I'll watch it over the next few days, and then maybe start looking for a new fuel pump. I've never liked the one I installed when I did the Hemi - got it from Red Rock - as it was all plastic, and frankly just did not look as sturdy as the stock unit.

Always something...
A quick follow-up note to my post above about the fuel pump issue.

Here is the original '04 pump on the left, and the pump I picked up from Red Rock when I did the Hemi install on the right. This was an Autobest pump, and I was never happy with how it looked compared to the OEM version - all plastic, and a little bit cheapo looking. I guess it proved me right by failing (well, the check valve anyway) after just under four years.

Jeep - 5.7 Hemi 7-7-2017 689.JPG

Jeep - 5.7 Hemi 7-7-2017 735.JPG

I reached out a few times to Jim Beebe over at Red Rock for more info on the pump, but heard absolutely nothing in return.

So after a good bit of research, including posting a separate thread on the subject (Thanks to all who provided info in that thread), I ordered a new Bosch fuel pump for an '05 TJ. In '05 and '06 Jeep changed over to a 59 psi pump which is what the Hemi needs. Everything I've read, and the input I've gotten from others, says that the Bosch pump is the way to go, should work fine with just a bit of trimming to fit my style '04 tank, and be very reliable. Bosch, right?

It showed up today - here it is:

IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0232.JPG

Damn, it looks exactly like the Autobest unit which failed on me. Hopefully the components are a bit better, but it sure looks like it was made in the same place. Oh well, we shall see.

Glad it was a simple-ish fix. I have had really bad luck with most parts store fuel pumps. Starts with the check valve but soon becomes a leave you stranded till it cools down the next day thing.

The car quest in town said they had one bosh unit left that looked exactly like my 04 OE pump. The guy texted me a picture of the box/part cuz I had been to every store in town and and they where all the same airtex crap. Super cool counter guy, he found it in one town to the north. I would have bought another if they had it.

Good to know the 05/6 pump puts out higher psi.

Here is the original '04 pump on the left, and the pump I picked up from Red Rock when I did the Hemi install on the right. This was an Autobest pump, and I was never happy with how it looked compared to the OEM version - all plastic, and a little bit cheapo looking. I guess it proved me right by failing (well, the check valve anyway) after just under four years.

View attachment 315408

View attachment 315409

I reached out a few times to Jim Beebe over at Red Rock for more info on the pump, but heard absolutely nothing in return.

So after a good bit of research, including posting a separate thread on the subject (Thanks to all who provided info in that thread), I ordered a new Bosch fuel pump for an '05 TJ. In '05 and '06 Jeep changed over to a 59 psi pump which is what the Hemi needs. Everything I've read, and the input I've gotten from others, says that the Bosch pump is the way to go, should work fine with just a bit of trimming to fit my style '04 tank, and be very reliable. Bosch, right?

View attachment 315406

View attachment 315407

Damn, it looks exactly like the Autobest unit which failed on me. Hopefully the components are a bit better, but it sure looks like it was made in the same place. Oh well, we shall see.
Do you need a fuel return line with the hemi?

Reactions: DrDmoney

View attachment 315408

View attachment 315409

View attachment 315406

View attachment 315407

The Bosch sticker makes it last longer…fingers crossed.

I'm kinda over the brand quality thing at this point, all the same ridiculous factory wherever. Glad you got something that looks like it'll work, that's what matters. Eventually you just get good at pulling the tank and forget about the rest. So, filter in this one?

I'm kinda over the brand quality thing at this point, all the same ridiculous factory wherever. Glad you got something that looks like it'll work, that's what matters. Eventually you just get good at pulling the tank and forget about the rest. So, filter in this one?
No filter in this one either. I have an inline filter up at the mill.

That's interesting, I guess the newer Jeeps just use the screens at the injectors. No wonder the check valves get screwed up.

Edit: I'd really clean out the bottom of the tank if you can when you swap it. I wonder if bashing the Jeep shook up debris and that's what screwed up the check valve when it ingested the stuff that was at the bottom of the tank? My screens definitely had plenty of little bits of crap in them every time I've pulled my tank. Even the bottom of the tank had plenty of "sand."

Last edited:
I know you didn't want to have a return system but damn I hope this one will last longer than the last. You could use the kit I'd linked and use a returnless fuel pressure regulator. I'd looked and had thought about using one when I was setting things up but ultimately decided I'd just run a return line. I just have to decide where I want to mount the regulator. I guess I could have a short return line and mount it under the Jeep on the frame or I could mount it up in the engine bay.

I plan on the latter and will most likely mount it on or near the engine with a pressure gauge and then run a return line back. And while I do have a filter on my pump/sending unit I am going to run a inline filter also.

This is the aftermarket pump I used.

20200502_180124.jpg

20200502_180220.jpg

Not sure if you saw it in my thread, but I'm pretty sure the older TJ pumps also put out at least 60 psi, just the regulator keeps it at 49. I had a friend who did an LS swap with a TJ tank like I'm doing in my truck. He designed a metal piece that replaces the pressure regulator in the pump assembly with just a straight through portion with an AN fitting on top. It's not a return less setup, but you can add an inline regulator and put a bulkhead fitting on the top of the pump for a return.

Just another option, I didn't know the 05+ pumps could fit the older tanks, curious what modifications you have to do as that would be a nice clean solution.

That's interesting, I guess the newer Jeeps just use the screens at the injectors. No wonder the check valves get screwed up.

Edit: I'd really clean out the bottom of the tank if you can when you swap it. I wonder if bashing the Jeep shook up debris and that's what screwed up the check valve when it ingested the stuff that was at the bottom of the tank? My screens definitely had plenty of little bits of crap in them every time I've pulled my tank. Even the bottom of the tank had plenty of "sand."
The newer rigs must have a fuel filter somewhere upstream, right? You'd think so, but I don't know.

I'll definitely check the tank when I swap the pump. The rig only has a few thousand miles on it since I replaced the pump for the Hemi swap four years ago, and back then it was spotless.

Not sure if you saw it in my thread, but I'm pretty sure the older TJ pumps also put out at least 60 psi, just the regulator keeps it at 49. I had a friend who did an LS swap with a TJ tank like I'm doing in my truck. He designed a metal piece that replaces the pressure regulator in the pump assembly with just a straight through portion with an AN fitting on top. It's not a return less setup, but you can add an inline regulator and put a bulkhead fitting on the top of the pump for a return.

Just another option, I didn't know the 05+ pumps could fit the older tanks, curious what modifications you have to do as that would be a nice clean solution.
Now that I have seen the new '05 pump in person, I'm pretty sure it is exactly what I have in there now - at least the housing is the same - so I'm sure it will work with a little trimming as Blaine said. When I pull the old pump I'll double check. I guess I'm hoping against hope that the internals (pump, regulator, check valve) are of higher quality being Bosch - but, I'm not holding my breath.

This afternoon I swapped the fuel pump assembly to correct the check valve starting problem. First order of business, pull the tank.

Years ago, I built this rack which bolts onto my tranny jack for just this purpose. Also comes in handy for pulling skid plates, etc.
IMG_0025.JPG

The nice thing about using a tranny jack for the tank is that I can adjust pitch and yaw to match the bottom of the tank. Also makes it very easy to install.

IMG_0003.JPG

I've done this a bunch of times, so it's old hat.

IMG_0007.JPG

This afternoon I swapped the fuel pump assembly to correct the check valve starting problem. First order of business, pull the tank.

Years ago, I built this rack which bolts onto my tranny jack for just this purpose. Also comes in handy for pulling skid plates, etc.
View attachment 316495

The nice thing about using a tranny jack for the tank is that I can adjust pitch and yaw to match the bottom of the tank. Also makes it very easy to install.

View attachment 316496

I've done this a bunch of times, so it's old hat.

View attachment 316497
I use an ATV jack for the same. It's a bit short, so I generally stack some aluminum extrusion on top. I like the 2x4 idea!

After pulling the wounded pump, I was finally able to compare them side by side. As I suspected - the housings are identical - right down to all of the markings.

IMG_0010.JPG

As I've noted previously the wounded pump is an Autobest, and the new pump is a Bosch. Although the housings are identical, the pumps are not. So, I'm encouraged, and hoping that the pump in the Bosch unit is of higher quality. Time will tell, I suppose.

Last edited:
After pulling the wounded pump, I was finally able to compare them side by side. As I suspected - the housings are identical - right down to all of the markings.

View attachment 316498

As I've noted previously the wounded pump is an Ameribest, and the new pump is a Bosch. Although the housings are identical, the pumps are not. So, I'm encouraged, and hoping that the pump in the Bosch unit is of higher quality. Time will tell, I suppose.

Fingers crossed for ya.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ