Need CB Radio recommendations

Thumper4fun

TJ Enthusiast
I need a CB radio for Jeep Club rides and I know absolutely nothing about CBs so I'm looking for help. Spent a little time searching and was thinking something like this could work. Simple install and can be removed when not needed. The first ride of the year is March 2nd so I have a short time to get something in place. Any opinions/suggestions would be much appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/d/Cb-Citizen...8-9&keywords=midland+75-822+handheld+cb+radio

and this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045EQUBK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The one I've always used is the Uniden PRO520XL Pro Series 40-Channel CB Radio. It's pretty widely regarded as one of the best CB radios you can get for your Jeep. It has all the features you need without a crazy price.

A large number of us run this CB and are very happy with it.

X2. Basic but works really well if your antenna is tuned and grounded correctly. Mine is mounted to my Arizona Rocky Road Overhead mount. Not sure if they are still around or available on the site but I got all my equipment from RightChannelRadio.com.

Reactions: Chris
Not sure if they are still around or available on the site but I got all my equipment from RightChannelRadio.com.

I believe so. I got my Arizona Rocky Road mount from his site directly. His site is just old and looks like it hasn't been updated in forever, but he's still around.

Reactions: tworley
I guess I should have said I got all my CB equipment from rightchannel radio, the overhead mount was from ARRs website that Chris mentioned.

For a conventional chassis-type CB radio in a jeep I typically suggest the Uniden Pro520XL or the slightly less expensive Pro510XL.

For "all in one" CB's I typically suggest the Cobra 75 WX ST over the Midland 75-822 because I don't like the tangle of antenna coax and power cord with the Midland.

The Tram mag mount antenna is okay and so is the Hustler version, but in my opinion the K30 and Wilson "Little Will" mag mount antennas are better quality.

As mentioned, Right Channel Radios is a good online CB source. Another source, and one I have used for the past 2-3 years, is CB World in Oregon:

https://www.wearecb.com/

Reactions: MaloStapalo
X2. Basic but works really well if your antenna is tuned and grounded correctly. Mine is mounted to my Arizona Rocky Road Overhead mount. Not sure if they are still around or available on the site but I got all my equipment from RightChannelRadio.com.

How hard is it to tune the antenna? I am looking at the 520xl, 18' Wilson cable, and 4ft black firefly.

Also, this mount is less than half the cost of Arizona rocky road's is it something that is pretty similar in its function? Or is it worth it to get the ARR?

http://www.ruggedridge.com/cb-radio-mount-windshield-03-06-jeep-wrangler-tj-lj-13551-07.html

Last edited:
How hard is it to tune the antenna? I am looking at the 520xl, 18' Wilson cable, and 4ft black firefly.

I would use a firestik. Its very simple if you have the SWR meter. Just need to make sure the mount is properly grounded to the body (requires sanding away the paint) and that you have the washers on the antenna placed correctly

I would use a firestik. Its very simple if you have the SWR meter. Just need to make sure the mount is properly grounded to the body (requires sanding away the paint) and that you have the washers on the antenna placed correctly

Like this one?

Screenshot_20190222-105208_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Guess I didnt realize firefly was firestik:ROFLMAO:. That would work. If you plan on getting into the trees though I would recommend a 2-3'

I have the rock hard 4x4 rear carrier and with the mount near the bottom of the triangle swing arm, a 4ft should not stick up too high over the roof line, I think. Is an swr meter something you use more than once, or should I just come visit you and use yours Haha

The Rockhard 4x4 rear tire carrier antenna mounting tab is so low that only 6" of a 4' antenna will extend above the jeep top (if you have one). It is also more difficult to obtain a good RF ground with a mount on a swing-away tire carrier than an antenna mount affixed directly to the body. [Not impossible; just more difficult.]

For these reasons I elected not to use the Rockhard antenna tab and decided instead to use a Teraflex tail light antenna bracket. By doing so I know that I have a solid RF ground, my 2' Firestik II antenna extends just to the height of my hard top, and my 4' Firestik Firefly extends about 22" above the top. The 4' Firefly has enough flex to withstand hits on overhead obstacles without damage even without a spring.

YMMV

_

Photo of Teraflex tail light antenna bracket, Breedlove stud mount, Firestik heavy duty spring, and Breedlove solid brass quick disconnect. Since my 2' antenna is protected in that location and the Firestik Firefly is so flexible I no longer need or use a spring.

The Rockhard 4x4 rear tire carrier antenna mounting tab is so low that only 6" of a 4' antenna will extend above the jeep top (if you have one). It is also more difficult to obtain a good RF ground with a mount on a swing-away tire carrier than an antenna mount affixed directly to the body. [Not impossible; just more difficult.]

For these reasons I elected not to use the Rockhard antenna tab and decided instead to use a Teraflex tail light antenna bracket. By doing so I know that I have a solid RF ground, my 2' Firestik II antenna extends just to the height of my hard top, and my 4' Firestik Firefly extends about 22" above the top. The 4' Firefly has enough flex to withstand hits on overhead obstacles without damage even without a spring.

YMMV

_

Photo of Teraflex tail light antenna bracket, Breedlove stud mount, Firestik heavy duty spring, and Breedlove solid brass quick disconnect. Since my 2' antenna is protected in that location and the Firestik Firefly is so flexible I no longer need or use a spring.

View attachment 78719

Good to know. I have led tails, no mounting bracket for me that I'm aware of. Could I run a jump cable from the tire carrier mount to the body for a ground?

Also, this mount is less than half the cost of Arizona rocky road's is it something that is pretty similar in its function? Or is it worth it to get the ARR?

http://www.ruggedridge.com/cb-radio-mount-windshield-03-06-jeep-wrangler-tj-lj-13551-07.html

I was just looking at that mount wondering the exact same thing. One of us needs to give it a try and report back....;)

Could I run a jump cable from the tire carrier mount to the body for a ground?

Absolutely. Tinned copper braided ground strap is better for an antenna ground than stranded wire because RF waves travel on the surface rather than through the medium, but 10 or 12 ga. primary wire certainly works.

FYI, some people use a simple "L" bracket or piece of angle bolted to the tub near the tailgate rather than a tail light bracket.

Absolutely. Tinned copper braided ground strap is better for an antenna ground than stranded wire because RF waves travel on the surface rather than through the medium, but 10 or 12 ga. primary wire certainly works.

FYI, some people use a simple "L" bracket or piece of angle bolted to the tub near the tailgate rather than a tail light bracket.

Good to know, I will keep that in mind to look for a tinned copper braided ground strap.