Need opinions on lifts

Roel Salazar

Im searching for a 2.5" suspension kit, I have seen the 4 shocks and 4 springs from Rough Country but I need opinions.

Usually drive my TJ on unpaved roads and offroading, is there another brand you recommend for a softer ride? Also mid budget.

Rough Country is a low quality lift that is going to ride poorly, mainly due to the piss poor shocks they include with their kits.

First you need to tell us what tire size you plan to run, then we can help you with lift decisions.

In terms of shocks though, the best riding "off-the-shelf" bolt-in shock you'll find is the Rancho RS5000X, no question about that.

Rough Country is a low quality lift that is going to ride poorly, mainly due to the piss poor shocks they include with their kits.

First you need to tell us what tire size you plan to run, then we can help you with lift decisions.

In terms of shocks though, the best riding "off-the-shelf" bolt-in shock you'll find is the Rancho RS5000X, no question about that.
I run 31" and installed autozone shocks when I was student, now I want to get something better for my TJ

On the cheap, look at OME springs and Rancho RS5000X shocks. This is what it looks like with 30" tires.

IMG_20200920_145355620_HDR.jpg

And do you need more parts to get it in? I know than more than 2.5" requiere pit arm and more parts, but, what its needed in general for a 2.5"?

Need, as in can't live without? No, you can totally slap those springs and shocks on and drive it.

You may need to drop the transfer case if the lift causes vibrations. Mine did, but that's an easy and cheap mod. And some people don't have that issue.

Next thing you would look at is a bracket to move the track bar, your axles will be pulled out of center about 3/4 inch with a 2.5" lift. That's not a huge deal, but can contribute to the vibration. You either get a bracket to relocate one end of the track bar, or spend a bit and get an adjustable bar.

Forget pitman arm, the stock one is fine at any sane lift height. The drop pitman arms cause problems.

Need, as in can't live without? No, you can totally slap those springs and shocks on and drive it.

You may need to drop the transfer case if the lift causes vibrations. Mine did, but that's an easy and cheap mod. And some people don't have that issue.

Next thing you would look at is a bracket to move the track bar, your axles will be pulled out of center about 3/4 inch with a 2.5" lift. That's not a huge deal, but can contribute to the vibration. You either get a bracket to relocate one end of the track bar, or spend a bit and get an adjustable bar.

Forget pitman arm, the stock one is fine at any sane lift height. The drop pitman arms cause problems.

how about bump stops? and spring insulator spacers? are they necessary for 2.5inch lift?