New Cloyes timing sprocket (crank side) is too tight

dodgeboy

I'm in the process of replacing the timing set on my 05 TJ 4.0 and I cannot get the new crank sprocket on. It binds on the key and is impossible to slide on. I tried lightly tapping it and it just gets more jammed on the key. The set I ordered was a Cloyes 90385SA from rock auto. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't see any burrs on the inside of the sprocket that would cause this. I could probably tap it on with a large socket, but that seems like a really bad idea. I assume I need to be able to easily slide this sprocket in/out in order to get the chain and the cam sprocket on.

I can’t even get the sprocket itself on the crank, let alone mess with the chain and getting it all lined up. I’m sure the sprocket is seated flat/flush. I can feel it bind on the key before I get it fully seated in the larger portion of the crank. If I’m going to file something down, I’d rather file at the new sprocket since the oem one fits fine on the crank. This sucks. Lol

Grab a can of this, a good auto parts store should have a can. Paint it up and see where the burr or rough spot is.
Dykem Layout Fluid Blue, 8 oz. Can and Brush in Cap. Machinist Dye for Metal Layout Work, The Perfect Marking Fluid for Machinist, Metal and Metalworking (1 Each) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SLGAIA/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Thanks for this. I’ll try to pick some up tomorrow. I lightly filed at the sprocket key way to make sure there wasn’t any burrs. It made no difference. I’m going to really have to hog at the sprocket I think.

I would sandpaper or file the key a little till it fit, you are sure its seated in the crank fully I am assuming.

Yes, the key is fully seated in the crank. The oem pulley glides on and off no problem. The key way on the new crank is too narrow (not too short) based on how I can get it to move as it starts to seat.

Does the sprocket fit without they key?
If you can manage the rig being down I would return the parts.

Does the sprocket fit without they key?
If you can manage the rig being down I would return the parts.

I haven’t removed the key, but I suspect it will fit. Unfortunately, I’ve had the timing set for about 2 months, as it took me longer to get to this project than I thought. I think I’ll be paying out of pocket for a new one. :( the good news is I think I only need the small sprocket. The large one fits fine.

Reactions: Gollywomper
It doesn't fit on backwards either (suggesting it is not a burr on the receiving side). I think it's a manufacturing tolerance problem. I can't even get it to sit on the outer key, for the harmonic balancer. The oem pulley slides easily over both keys. I took a set of digital calipers out to compare the two keyway sizes and they are identical, from the points I can measure (which isn't much, due to the shape and size of the thing).

I appreciate all the insights, fellas. Unfortunately, I think I'm hosed without a new sprocket. Now the question becomes, do I order another Cloyes sprocket which could have the same issue? Or do I order another set from another brand?

Cloyes timing sets have a lifetime warranty, contact the seller or Cloyes directly.

Thanks. I will. But to get the jeep up and running in a reasonable time, I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy new with fast shipping. Maybe they'll credit me this set, or I can convince rock auto to refund it even though I bought it 2 months ago.

You should be able to return it to RA as defective.

If you are in a hurry to get it fixed, check your local autoparts stores for a name brand set. NAPA probably has a good set.

Following up on this… it turns out the new keyway did not measure identical to the OEM one. It’s a difficult part to measure with the calipers I have, and I wasn’t perfectly squared up when I measured it. The keyway on the Cloyes sprocket is smaller than the OEM sprocket and also smaller than the key on the crankshaft. Makes sense, since it doesn’t fit. Lol. I ordered another sprocket and it’s the same. I ordered a Melling timing set and it is just a rebranded Cloyes with the same problem.

I called Cloyes and they were very nice. They gave me the spec for the keyway and my sprocket is out of spec (undersized). They checked the sprockets they had on hand and they were all also undersized. They recommended I file the keyway to get it to fit, so I guess that’s what I’m going to do. I’m surprised more people haven’t run into this problem.

Reactions: JKP
I have filed on this keyway for about an hour and made basically zero progress. It may be *slightly* closer to fitting, but it still does not fit. I'm tired of messing with it. Cloyes is not willing to fix/modify a gear that they have in stock to bring it within spec and send it to me. They straight up recommended I buy a set from another manufacturer. It looks like my only option is to try to return what I have as defective and find another brand.

Can anyone recommend another timing set (by a different manufacturer)? I see a Comp Cams set on Summit that looks visually different from this, so I assume it won't be a Cloyes inside the box like the Melling set was.

These sorts of topics rarely get discussed here, you should definitely post some pictures. We're simple people and don't reed two we'll.

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Jim
I have filed on this keyway for about an hour and made basically zero progress. It may be *slightly* closer to fitting, but it still does not fit. I'm tired of messing with it. Cloyes is not willing to fix/modify a gear that they have in stock to bring it within spec and send it to me. They straight up recommended I buy a set from another manufacturer. It looks like my only option is to try to return what I have as defective and find another brand.

Can anyone recommend another timing set (by a different manufacturer)? I see a Comp Cams set on Summit that looks visually different from this, so I assume it won't be a Cloyes inside the box like the Melling set was.

This is just crazy.

If you have a NAPA nearby, check with them and see if theirs is a Cloyes or something else.

If you are desparate and their is a machine shop in your area, they could make short work of it.

This is just crazy.

If you have a NAPA nearby, check with them and see if theirs is a Cloyes or something else.

If you are desparate and their is a machine shop in your area, they could make short work of it.

I agree it's crazy! I don't understand why filing it is having nearly zero effect.

Napa's is Cloyes, I checked. I've called every flavor of auto parts store in the area and they all carry Cloyes.

I wound up ordering the Comp Cams CCA-3237 from summit, and paid for overnight shipping (this endeavor is getting expensive!). Based on the photos, this looks like an inferior product (cast cam gear), but it isn't inferior if it fits. The crank gear in the photo looks suspiciously like a Cloyes, and with my luck it probably is. Lol.

I'll update the thread when I try the new set.

Reactions: TJ Jim and JKP
Rock auto sells mopar it’s just not a “set”.

164038D8-9E4C-4AB5-A67C-BE974303C78B.jpeg