New Motobilt 4-Link Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't dug into it, but the previous design, folks were getting 6 inches up in the front with the motobilt 4 link kit.

That's a bullshit number. It is easy to get 6" of up if you are running 8" of suspension lift. It is not quite so easy to get 6" of up if you are running 4" of suspension lift over stock. There needs to be a few more numbers in there to know if that is a reasonable amount of up or just fucking around.

If I tell you I got 6" of up on a rig, that means there is no more to be had. The upper control arm joint is slamming into the AC compressor, the upper arm is notched into the frame side motor mount bracket by over an inch and I've left nothing on the table.

It surprises me bc I always had the impression that Rob Park (Bender) really knew his shit when it came to design and fab work.

It may be a compromise between trying to sell a product that’s a swiss army knife and sell something that is geared towards the weekend pro rock crawler.

If I had to guess, anyone building a Jeep to crawl with the best of them, with all the perfect numbers is building something home brew and isn't shopping for bolt in/weld in parts.

I’d love to hear more about this and your assumptions 😂

Reactions: Fouledplugs
The Savvy mid arm has more VS and less hang below the frame because it requires a body lift. The Savvy skid hangs down about 1.75" at it's lowest point.
I appreciate the amount of discussion here. learning a few things

The Savvy mid arm is so ideal for a TJ/LJ, but are you changing anything like VS, antisquat, etc by lengthening wheelbase on a TJ with a Savvy mid-arm?

The reason I'm asking is to ask are you limited to a certain wheelbase using the Savvy mid arm?

I appreciate the amount of discussion here. learning a few things

The Savvy mid arm is so ideal for a TJ/LJ, but are you changing anything like VS, antisquat, etc by lengthening wheelbase on a TJ with a Savvy mid-arm?

The reason I'm asking is to ask are you limited to a certain wheelbase using the Savvy mid arm?

The Savvy mid arm, in and of itself does not change the wheelbase. That is it's own separate project.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
That's interesting that you observed that and noticed the MB linked TJ crawled right up some obstacles that others could not make.

I don't know why that's interesting. We were the only TJs in a group of 11 or 12 Jeeps. I was impressed so I wanted to talk about his build.

I’d love to hear more about this and your assumptions 😂

I've seen your builds and your work and am a fan. I'm not taking away from the new kit , only speculating that there might of been a compromise to design and sell something that fits the masses instead of a design that is centered around a certain wheelbase and tire size.

The Savvy mid arm, in and of itself does not change the wheelbase. That is it's own separate project.

So with the Savvy Mid-Arm out of the box, as is, the Jeep is built around a specific tire size, which is a 35 inch tire, correct? Any deviation from this is a foul is what I'm taking from your reply.

So with the Savvy Mid-Arm out of the box, as is, the Jeep is built around a specific tire size, which is a 35 inch tire, correct? Any deviation from this is a foul is what I'm taking from your reply.

There are a few reasons why we can say that a 35" is the minimum recommended tire size for the Savvy mid arm. And we have many examples of it being used on larger tire sizes, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.