New to winching

So your recommendation is to get rid of it as a spare as well and if to have a spare, then to have AGM as a spare as well?
If you do that, secure the spare and add this:

https://www.hellroaring.com/bic95300B.php
Then you have the spare for just that, a spare. Plus it is always charged and ready to serve you. You can use it for winching, or not. The benefit when winching is the lower amps drawn (and excessive heat) by having correct voltage supplied for a longer time span. When voltage drops, amps increase and winch life decreases and overheating is quicker. Heat sinks on the winch motor help dissipate heat too.

If you just need a jump I'd recommend something like this instead of a car battery. I have this one and it's worked amazingly well.

https://www.audew.com/Audew-2000A-P...DWbI7AQuRU34dayTs2h02BAr_1_KMeu8aAkCaEALw_wcB
My wife bought me one similar to that a few Christmas' ago. I was hesitant at first but it has started every gas engine I have needed it too.

I carried a yellow optima in the "fix it" box for years on my PU (it was a take out from when they were good batts) but one night I put the cable that I used to lock the box to the bed in the box and it made a circuit between the posts and burned everything in the box (never too old to learn a lesson). melted a perfect circle in the lid of the Pelican. I think I was able to save the jumper cables and that was it. Lost a nice kinetic rope, all my rachet straps, spiderweb bungee, zipties, etc.. The jumper cables are still scarred.

Moral of the story is, if it is a unsecured spare, the type you posted is MUCH safer. Lucky the posts melted before it could get a real fire going.

My wife bought me one similar to that a few Christmas' ago. I was hesitant at first but it has started every gas engine I have needed it too.

I carried a yellow optima in the "fix it" box for years on my PU (it was a take out from when they were good batts) but one night I put the cable that I used to lock the box to the bed in the box and it made a circuit between the posts and burned everything in the box (never too old to learn a lesson). melted a perfect circle in the lid of the Pelican. I think I was able to save the jumper cables and that was it. Lost a nice kinetic rope, all my rachet straps, spiderweb bungee, zipties, etc.. The jumper cables are still scarred.

Moral of the story is, if it is a unsecured spare, the type you posted is MUCH safer. Lucky the posts melted before it could get a real fire going.
I've used that jump starter many times and it's amazing how well it works. I've also had people that knew I had it swing by to borrow it for their own issues. And several have ordered their own after. Easier than jumper cables by far.

So your recommendation is to get rid of it as a spare as well and if to have a spare, then to have AGM as a spare as well?
You don't need a spare battery. Common sense battery management is all that's needed.

Just don't be the guy at the top of the hill who volunteers to winch 15 vehicles up one after the other. Normal winching is a 10-30 second pull and you can do those intermittently all day. I have even had to winch myself off the trail twice on battery power alone when I couldn't start the engine. After fixing both issues my single AGM battery was still good to start the engine without needing a jump start. You don't need dual batteries or a spare.

You don't need a spare battery. Common sense battery management is all that's needed.

Just don't be the guy at the top of the hill who volunteers to winch 15 vehicles up one after the other. Normal winching is a 10-30 second pull and you can do those intermittently all day. I have even had to winch myself off the trail twice on battery power alone when I couldn't start the engine. After fixing both issues my single AGM battery was still good to start the engine without needing a jump start. You don't need dual batteries or a spare.
Thanks for the advice

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I just ordered one from the link. They are $67.99 to the door from the Audew website for the next 10 hrs.
Report back with your thoughts on it once you get to try it. Several other uses for it if needed. I wanted it incase my refrigerator drained my jeep battery too much on an overnight but never needed it for that.

e90690ed-a725-419c-8352-578ce8d1e7bc.jpg

Reactions: Brianj5600
Just get yourself a decent quality AGM battery, and there is absolutely no reason to go with dual batteries. And most winching needs are completed in 30-45 seconds so rarely do they drain the battery enough to worry about, especially when the engine is kept running. I've even winched myself off the trail at least twice without the engine running and with just one AGM battery. Nope, doing that did not drain the battery... the engine started right up after fixing the engine issue.

And when doing repetitive pulls, which are rare, just use a little common sense battery management. Just give the alternator a chance to recharge the battery some between pulls and keep the rpms up so the alternator can put more power out.

AGM batteries work better for offroading since they are constructed more ruggedly to resist the shock and vibration of offroading, and they are usually able to provide more current and charge more quickly due to their low internal electrical resistance. If you have the $$$ it's hard to beat Odyssey, Northstar, or Bosch Platinum AGM batteries. If not, most store brand AGM batteries hold up fine.

Do avoid Optima batteries, their quality and lifespan went to hell after they were purchased by Johnson Controls who immediately moved their entire manufacturing line to Mexico. That's when they started using cheaper materials and also stopped using pure lead.
I only wish my winching sessions were a minute or so but that is why we run modded winches up here.

I agree with Jerry that AGM is the way to go running a winch or not. Not worrying about leaks and vibration damage is good thing. I currently use a Deka Intimidator and charge it using the common Dodge truck alternator swap. This runs my 8.7AK very well even on several marathon winching sessions with a watchful eye on the volt meter.

The Audew above is more better
Based on what, more Chinese voltages packed into it? Just curios, Jerry on BSkorner liked the XP-10 from what I remember. They all work okay. I got a clone of the DB Power in the Project Farm video and it works. I've had it apart, they are very similar inside and batch to batch the lipo cells are quite different from what I've tested which is allot of the variation you see in these tests.

Based on what, more Chinese voltages packed into it? Just curios, Jerry on BSkorner liked the XP-10 from what I remember. They all work okay. I got a clone of the DB Power in the Project Farm video and it works. I've had it apart, they are very similar inside and batch to batch the lipo cells are quite different from what I've tested which is allot of the variation you see in these tests.
Starts a bigger diesel

The project farm video shows its capabilities

Reactions: voodooridr