New to winching

Do yourself a favor and pick up a new winch remote. The one you have with the sideways switch will leave you stranded one day. Not one of Warns best designs.
I agree. One of my remotes has that sideways switch and I constantly have to look at it before operating it to make sure I'm pressing the correct side.

I agree. One of my remotes has that sideways switch and I constantly have to look at it before operating it to make sure I'm pressing the correct side.
I questioned the designer of that switch at Warn because the first remote came with the 8274 in 1974 and every winch since it had always been up for out and down for in. His response was that switch was more intuitive because they added a raised bump and a divot in the rocker to indicate in and out. When I asked if they ever tried it in freezing weather with thick gloves on all I got was crickets.

• Haha
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I questioned the designer of that switch at Warn because the first remote came with the 8274 in 1974 and every winch since it had always been up for out and down for in. His response was that switch was more intuitive because they added a raised bump and a divot in the rocker to indicate in and out. When I asked if they ever tried it in freezing weather with thick gloves on all I got was crickets.
Not to mention Warns recommends we wear gloves while winching even in hot weather lol.

Reactions: Blackjack
I've tried to explain the intuitive nature of holding the remote with the switch flat, cord pointing down and then pushing "up" for out which is the line direction and the pulling it "down" for in which is again the line direction. Up is out, down is in. The dumbass answers I get in response to why that is wrong makes me want to throw rocks at folks.

• USA Proud
Reactions: Plumber1 and WSS
I've noticed USPS tracking is often too wonky to understand. At least yours says the cities it is passing through, my current enroute package on its way to Turkey only ever says it's on its way to its "next destination".

For international shipments, once it is out of the country, USPS doesn't update - it is is upto the other country's postal service that USPS hands over to. I have had packages just show "In customs" for 2 weeks after item is delivered when I have shipped out of country.

If you are running a dash control it is probably less of an issue. Warn 83665 is my preference. https://www.warn.com/winch-remote-controller-12ft-83665 Much better build quality and IMO more intuitive to operate.
Will this fit my XD9000i?

IMG_1034_zpsykescnnr.jpg

I've tried to explain the intuitive nature of holding the remote with the switch flat, cord pointing down and then pushing "up" for out which is the line direction and the pulling it "down" for in which is again the line direction. Up is out, down is in. The dumbass answers I get in response to why that is wrong makes me want to throw rocks at folks.
I do not know why people (aka "professionals") want make it so complicated. These are "recreational" winches not hoists for boom trucks. Warn made things simple for the common man to understand the few times he may use it.

And then there is this thing Ramsey calls a remote. I understand that it is simple and rugged but it is not that intuitive for me.

ramseyremote.jpg

I do not know why people (aka "professionals") want make it so complicated. These are "recreational" winches not hoists for boom trucks. Warn made things simple for the common man to understand the few times he may use it.

And then there is this thing Ramsey calls a remote. I understand that it is simple and rugged but it is not that intuitive for me.

View attachment 289505
That remote head is common on gantry cranes with ramsey hoists. They hang from the gantry with a strain relief cord. In that environment and orientation it was useful. Not so much on a vehicle winch.

EDIT, that is a through push type. Dang, I had one of those on my chrome Ramsey back in '95

That remote head is common on gantry cranes with ramsey hoists. They hang from the gantry with a strain relief cord. In that environment and orientation it was useful. Not so much on a vehicle winch.

EDIT, that is a through push type. Dang, I had one of those on my chrome Ramsey back in '95
Yeah one thing Ramsey is not known for is change.

They seem to keep updating the additional coupon time.
Ha sounds normal to me. Like stores who advertise a sale that ends on some particular date, like a Thanksgiving special that ends the day after Thanksgiving. Then 1-2 days after that they start their Christmas sale. The never-ending sales that positively end at such and such hour or day. :ROFLMAO: