New trailer project (Pack Mule?)

It amazes me how well these trailers hold up after 30+ years. Someone has a sweet trailer.

7E95F62D-3CA0-4A43-B909-48BA00752CCD.jpeg
23289431-8189-43E2-BF38-4C3B833FDD7B.jpeg
FFF4031C-3F14-4571-ACD2-A68478537994.jpeg
92A39327-84AE-40DE-9223-F4E516F59EDB.jpeg

Reactions: DrDmoney
Just throwing my 2 bits in with this trailer for sale. "Military" trailer is all they're saying in the description other than 8 lug axle and 14 ply tires. Looks like I might be able to haul the LJ inside this one. ;)
1643087808407.png

1643087843644.png

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Just throwing my 2 bits in with this trailer for sale. "Military" trailer is all they're saying in the description other than 8 lug axle and 14 ply tires. Looks like I might be able to haul the LJ inside this one. ;)
View attachment 304773
View attachment 304774

Unless you have a 1 ton or larger truck to tow it with I'd pass on it. While they are built to take a beating they ride like the axle is mounted solid to the frame. And it's HEAVY.

I don't think it's a M101, it looks larger.
https://www.armyproperty.com/Equipment-Info/M101-Trailer.htm
Looks more like a M105 trailer
https://www.armyproperty.com/Equipment-Info/M105-Trailer.htm

Unless you have a 1 ton or larger truck to tow it with I'd pass on it. While they are built to take a beating they ride like the axle is mounted solid to the frame. And it's HEAVY.

I don't think it's a M101, it looks larger.
https://www.armyproperty.com/Equipment-Info/M101-Trailer.htm
Looks more like a M105 trailer
https://www.armyproperty.com/Equipment-Info/M105-Trailer.htm
I have the truck but don't need a trailer like this. I'm not looking for an overlander either, just something to haul some gear to/from camp. Just tossing it out there for giggles.

Reactions: Wildman
I have the truck but don't need a trailer like this. I'm not looking for an overlander either, just something to haul some gear to/from camp. Just tossing it out there for giggles.

I've got one I am going to rebuild once I'm done with my Jeep. It was my grandfather's and was built in 1947.

trailer.jpg

I saw one very similar a couple days ago on FBM and actually contacted the guy since he happens to be as close as I could ask to find one (180 miles). I'd like to know the weight full of fluids and fuel.

Thanks.

I saw one very similar a couple days ago on FBM and actually contacted the guy since he happens to be as close as I could ask to find one (180 miles). I'd like to know the weight full of fluids and fuel.

Thanks.

Well here are the spec's on a M105 trailer as the Army used it. Then you can add however much you are going to carry in fuel/water/fluids & other cargo. It's a starting point for ya.

Characteristics of the Trailer, Cargo, 1 1/2 Ton, Two Wheel, M105​

Net weight2,650 lbs
Max gross wt7,150 lbs
Total length165.5 in
Cargo body length110 in
Total width83 in
Cargo body width74 in
Cargo deck height above ground37 in
Cargo load height under bows60 in
Cargo load height to top of side racks45 in
Cargo load height to top of side panels18 in

Reactions: NOTNSUV
Man, that was nice. Lid and Jerry can mounts.
Mine has that lid and it is HEAVY. Mine also came with those jerry can mounts on both sides but attached directly to the side not with the offset piece. I'll give them away if anyone wants them. The problem with those is they fit the old style cans with a bottom lip so I'm changing mine out for holders to hold my newer Wavian cans.

Mine has that lid and it is HEAVY. Mine also came with those jerry can mounts on both sides but attached directly to the side not with the offset piece. I'll give them away if anyone wants them. The problem with those is they fit the old style cans with a bottom lip so I'm changing mine out for holders to hold my newer Wavian cans.
Which holder are you going with?

I bought one cheaper Wavian holder but with the top lip of the trailer (and now a little more with the lid) and the way you have to lift the can straight out of the holder, it was going to have to be spaced so far away from the body to be able to get the can out. It didn’t look good at all.

I got the more expensive Wavian holder, that allows you to tip the can outward some to take it out, and it only needs to be spaced out an inch or so.

One of those short holders that uses a strap around the can would probably work fine. I don’t know how much they would move around though. For some reason they don’t seem as secure. Very well could be wrong though as I have no experience with them.

I recently acquired the title for a 1989 packmule trailer that was left abandoned on my property. It has the 4 light & jerry can holders & lid. The lid hinge was halfway broken. I welded in the jerry can holder holes & welded in two plates to get rid of the two extra rear lights. Only surface rust. I have cut off the original hitch to install a Lock-N-Roll. So far I have treated the underside with a rust converter, painted with rust converter paint, then primer & bedliner paint. Eventually I will replace the axles with probably a Timbren Axleless System. But fortunately it came with 6x5.5 lugs so it will fit our Toyota Lug pattern (Yes Toyota (LC FJ60, Tacoma, 4RNR) person on on Wrangler forum because of the Packmule trailer). I will recreate the original Packmule label using a stainless steel plate & my laser. I got some cheap used original Toyota wheels that match the ones on my 4Runner.

20220122_130510-01.jpeg

20220122_130637-01.jpeg

20220122_130911-01.jpeg

pixlr_20220122224854129 - Copy.jpg

pixlr_20220129120047399 - Copy.jpg

pixlr_20220130180819493 - Copy.jpg

That’s a great looking trailer, @tenebs .

Mine didn’t have a label on it when I got it. Would you find posting a pic of it? I was thinking of creating a vin tag for it.

Mine has the VIN stamped on the tongue & doesn't have a label with the VIN. The original label is the one that has Packmule & the mfg. I'm going to recreate to look exactly like the original & then do a smaller one under breath with the basic trailer ID label info. VIN, year, mfg, weight.
20220201_165702.jpg

Mine has the VIN stamped on the tongue & doesn't have a label with the VIN. The original label is the one that has Packmule & the mfg. I'm going to recreate to look exactly like the original & then do a smaller one under breath with the basic trailer ID label info. VIN, year, mfg, weight.View attachment 308853
Oh, I see.

Where at on the tongue was yours stamped? I looked around on mine when I got it but couldn’t find anything. I could have missed it though. On the hitch coupler there was some info but nothing that I thought was the vin for the trailer.

My tongue is a little different. Same coupler, but the end of the tongue under the coupler is angled and has a washer welded to the end with the wiring going through the washer and the handle wasn’t wide like yours is. It was more like maybe a 3/8” rod bent in the same shape. I wonder if mine has been replaced?

Oh, I see.

Where at on the tongue was yours stamped? I looked around on mine when I got it but couldn’t find anything. I could have missed it though. On the hitch coupler there was some info but nothing that I thought was the vin for the trailer.

My tongue is a little different. Same coupler, but the end of the tongue under the coupler is angled and has a washer welded to the end with the wiring going through the washer and the handle wasn’t wide like yours is. It was more like maybe a 3/8” rod bent in the same shape. I wonder if mine has been replaced?
Mine is like yours with a 3/8" rod bent for a handle.

Reactions: MountaineerTom