New trailer project (Pack Mule?)

Got the passengers side wheel well and side of the frame cleaned up and painted today and the new tire/wheel on that side installed. Decided to take it for a drive to see how it handled with the newish tires and the new hubs. Aired the tires down to about 24 psi and it rode pretty good and was only bouncy on a couple hard pot holes in the road. Just as I got back home the mail ran and my extended thread lug nuts came in. They appear to be good quality and fit well. Just as good as any other chrome lug nuts I've seen. Hopefully they don't rust up in the first rain storm. I read one review that they didn't fit inside the opening of some customers wheel (don't remember what kind), but they fit great in my Pro Comp 7069-5865 wheels. I ordered a set for the Jeep this evening.

View attachment 177345
View attachment 177346
View attachment 177347
Perfect height and certainly looks the part...will you be leaving it white ?

2020091795121948.jpg

Reinard Helder told me "No suspension, nothing to break. This thing will follow you anywhere". I think he was right. I need to change hubs on mine to match my 2001 jeep Cherokee XJ. Is there a recommended vendor who knows what a Pack Mule is?
Just for future reference I got these hubs on amazon and they fit perfectly. 33x12.50x15 tires 8 inch rims with 3.75 inch backspace.

Couple days off in the middle of the week and I decided to spray paint the trailer cause I’m tired of the white. I started off with some Rustoleum Textured paint that I had in the shop. Of course it had that tiger stripe look after on the big flat panels. Tried a new (to me) Rustoleum product to cover that up with. It has just slightly more texture than their regular textured paint. It sprays a really wide pattern. Not perfect, but not bad either. Better than the white.

Also put a new jack with a wheel on it to make it easier to move around.

Haven’t really done much else to it in a while, I was just board with some time off.

0BF9986D-0294-41A3-923B-97388CA0985D.jpeg
77CC2FE7-F643-4704-82B6-C67446C3069D.jpeg
F1FC39AB-AE66-41D3-B1F0-8D677B513B92.jpeg
4A2C44F9-0A52-4A69-B732-E09B742B4897.jpeg

Last edited:
So, me and my buddy are getting ready to build a top soon for the trailer. I've been planning on using a 36 inch piano style hinge on the front.

Are there any other style hinges that I should consider that might be a better option?

Any links to known good hinges (any style) to use?

IMG_2998.JPG

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Last edited:
It's nice when you get to the "hinge" stage. (y)

I built hinges for one of my trailers. I wanted to be able to lift the lid straight up an off when needed so they made sense at the time. I'm not sure I'd go this route again though ... too heavy and too much work.

Depending on the design of yours and whether welding is involved here are a few that might work.
View attachment 282270View attachment 282271

https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/...wcid=AL!3645!3!483556496832!!!g!303678641929!
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0002ESB2I/?tag=tjforum-20
View attachment 282270
Thanks.

Welding is definitely NOT out of the question, but I would like to make to top removable without cutting a weld if possible. I don't know that it will ever come off, but I'd like that option for if I ever need too. I'm considering welding whatever hinge I use to the lid itself and then bolting the other side to the lip on the front edge of the trailer bed (where those holes are). Even considering 2 or 3 simple gate hinges, but they may need to be cut down and new holes drilled so they fit onto the 1 inch lip of the trailer.

So, me and my buddy are getting ready to build a top soon for the trailer. I've been planning on using a 36 inch piano style hinge on the front.

Are there any other style hinges that I should consider that might be a better option?

Any links to known good hinges (any style) to use?

View attachment 282209
That's what I did, used piano hinge on the front. Has been working great.

We got the top built. I used the piano hinge linked a few posts earlier. My buddy Will welded the hinge to the top and then we bolted the hinge to the front trailer bed lip. Sprayed the top it with the same bedliner spray as in an earlier post. Sprayed the inside of the top with ACE hardware rust stop in stone gray satin. It's advertised as no primer needed. Kind of doing a test with this paint. In the first pic, you can see some surface rust on the underside of the top. I hit the whole underside with a wire wheel and then sprayed a few light coats. We'll see how it holds up. A couple struts from Amazon. Made a little bracket to house a side marker light in the rear. It's not perfect and no where near complete, but we have it ready to haul and store some gear securely for a camping trip this weekend.

IMG_3216.JPG
IMG_3220.JPG
IMG_3250.JPG

IMG_3251.JPG
IMG_3252.JPG
IMG_3254.JPG
IMG_3262.JPG
IMG_3263.JPG
IMG_3266.JPG

Last edited: