New trailer project (Pack Mule?)

That's original axle mount. I had to join so I could respond to your post. I have a Packmule trailer that I purchased new in 1985 from the boy's in Marysvillec CA that made them. I wasn't totally convinced that having no springs was a good idea. The guys building these trailers had a small business building farm equipment trailers and built these for sale to their jeep club friends and public. Their argument against springs was based on their experience with off-road equipment stating that springs can work against you to upset our load on rough trails. It seemed reasonable and I had no experience to counter that. I figured I could always add springs if I really needed them. Their solution: drop your tire pressure to around 20 PSI and you'll be fine. Bottom line, I've still got my trailer and still use it. I have no issues running down the highway at 70 MPH with no springs. I run the tires at 20 PSI all the time. The tires are my springs. The boy's in Marysville offered to match your vehicle with wheel hubs on the axles. You can probably find a hub to match your jeep and swap that out. I take my worn tires off the jeep and run them on the trailer. Try running your trailer as-is and I think you'll be impressed with how it tows. My trailer came with a steel top and I ordered the gas can mounts for both sides. Below are current and old pictures when new.
View attachment 151491View attachment 151492View attachment 151493
Thats is an awesome unit. ^^^

And nice work on your trailer Tom. Slow builds are always best.
The fact there are so many old trailers out there with solidly attached axles and no issues make one wonder about the wisdom of changing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MountaineerTom
The thrust bearing on the screw for the tongue jack was seized so I ordered a new one and a whole new crank handle. The jack manufacture is unknown, no markings on it. The original thrust bearing had a 1.4" O.D. and .5" I.D. Couldn't find any locally so I ordered one from Amazon, but it was only 1" O.D. and all I could find with the .5" I.D. The bearing had a little bit of grease already but didn't seem like much so I packed a little more high temp bearing grease in there. Got it all lubed up and back together and it works nice and smooth again.

Thrust washer

Jack handle

IMG_0625.JPG

Wire wheeled the inside fender well and frame and then sprayed it with the Rust Reformer on the drivers side of the trailer. Still need to do the other side, but ran out of paint. Put one of my new wheels/tires on that side. Just have temporary lug nuts on there for now. I have some of theses Extended Lug Nuts on the way that @k-huevo posted a link to in another thread. If they work well and hold up well, I may get a set for the Jeep too. I also cut off and cleaned up where mounts were welded on by a previous owner to hold another set of trailer lights. I'm going to mount a 3/4" round 3 wire LED light near that rear brace that holds the tail lights to act as a side marker and turn signal light.

I plan to fill in the upper tail light holes that a previous owner drilled. They must have really liked tail lights.

Called it a day early. 95* and high humidity making it feel like 105* in my workshop with an A/C unit that's not working wasn't fun once the sun started shining through the garage door.

IMG_0634.JPG
IMG_0638.JPG
IMG_0640.JPG

IMG_9413.JPG

Last edited:
When is that?

Thinking about putting something together end of August or early September. It's just a thought right now. Run Usal Rd. to Shelter Cove, camp, then run King's Peak Trail to Humbolt Redwoods State Park next day. Come out on SR101 and home. It's a long 2 days, but some spectacular scenery to be seen.

Reactions: lowranger
I could do that. Except that at Hwy 101 I would head north to 299 E to home.

When I did that route a few years ago, the caretaker at Sinkyone Wilderness SP let us camp on the bluff near the visitor center, although he did exact my promise that we would be up and packed before his boss arrived the next day. For that view and not having to hike down to a campsite, no problemo. Our original plan had been Shelter Cove for the night.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobthetj03
Got the passengers side wheel well and side of the frame cleaned up and painted today and the new tire/wheel on that side installed. Decided to take it for a drive to see how it handled with the newish tires and the new hubs. Aired the tires down to about 24 psi and it rode pretty good and was only bouncy on a couple hard pot holes in the road. Just as I got back home the mail ran and my extended thread lug nuts came in. They appear to be good quality and fit well. Just as good as any other chrome lug nuts I've seen. Hopefully they don't rust up in the first rain storm. I read one review that they didn't fit inside the opening of some customers wheel (don't remember what kind), but they fit great in my Pro Comp 7069-5865 wheels. I ordered a set for the Jeep this evening.

IMG_0653oo.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

Got the passengers side wheel well and side of the frame cleaned up and painted today and the new tire/wheel on that side installed. Decided to take it for a drive to see how it handled with the newish tires and the new hubs. Aired the tires down to about 24 psi and it rode pretty good and was only bouncy on a couple hard pot holes in the road. Just as I got back home the mail ran and my extended thread lug nuts came in. They appear to be good quality and fit well. Just as good as any other chrome lug nuts I've seen. Hopefully they don't rust up in the first rain storm. I read one review that they didn't fit inside the opening of some customers wheel (don't remember what kind), but they fit great in my Pro Comp 7069-5865 wheels. I ordered a set for the Jeep this evening.

View attachment 177345
View attachment 177346
View attachment 177347
Looks great! Glad it towed good.

Reactions: MountaineerTom