Next Step for Smooth Jeep

1Blacktj

TJ Enthusiast
So I just recently bought some Rancho rs5000x shocks that I am going to install tomorrow but I was wondering what the next step is to make the Jeep smoother driving on road? I do have the Currie Correctlync steering and RC trackbar. My next guess was control arms but just wondering what else can be done to make it drive smoother. And before anyone says "Its a Jeep it isnt meant to be smooth" I know that but I also want to make the girlfriend happier :p

What about the Jeep right now is causing your girlfriend to complain about it not being “smooth”? That’s very subjective.

Reactions: Chris
What about the Jeep right now is causing your girlfriend to complain about it not being “smooth”? That’s very subjective.
Just going over bumps and the steering wheel shake and the Jeep bouncing all over the road. I am pretty sure that installing my new shocks will help many of these problems but just wondering what the next step is. I believe also my tie rods are bad because for some reason there was no grease added when they were installed and I greased them the other night but I think they still may be bad.

Just going over bumps and the steering wheel shake and the Jeep bouncing all over the road. I am pretty sure that installing my new shocks will help many of these problems but just wondering what the next step is. I believe also my tie rods are bad because for some reason there was no grease added when they were installed and I greased them the other night but I think they still may be bad.

Steering wheel shake and bouncing over bumps are definitely separate issues.

What is your current suspension set up?

Control arms will have next to no percievable influence on smoothness or ride quality, despite what some marketing may say. Select your control arms for other reasons.

Your shocks should help a lot. Then tire pressure and the correct load range.

Tight bushings and joints all around will help control movements and reduce rattles and shakes.

I have a RC 3.25 lift with their shocks which will soon be coming off. I also have their adjustable track bar.

Paging @jjvw :)

Are your bump stops set up correctly? What size tires with that lift? Have your springs sagged?

Control arms will have next to no percievable influence on smoothness or ride quality, despite what some marketing may say. Select your control arms for other reasons.

Your shocks should help a lot. Then tire pressure and the correct load range.

Tight bushings and joints all around will help control movements and reduce rattles and shakes.
I think I am going to go through tomorrow night and re torque everything and regrease everything.

Are your bump stops set up correctly? What size tires with that lift? Have your springs sagged?
To be honest, I have no bump stops on the front so that is something that I need to invest in. I have 33x12.5r15 and no but I was reading about metalcloaks springs how they have a different design then RC and it works much better so would it be worth it to look into a different spring?

X2.

Make sure the bump stops are just long enough to prevent damage, but allow for the the most suspension travel.

The more up travel you can build into your suspension the better the ride will be.

Last edited:
I think I am going to go through tomorrow night and re torque everything and regrease everything.

To be honest, I have no bump stops on the front so that is something that I need to invest in. I have 33x12.5r15 and no but I was reading about metalcloaks springs how they have a different design then RC and it works much better so would it be worth it to look into a different spring?

Metalcloak is mostly marketing. Springs have very little to do with the ride quality. Metalcloak springs are a gimmick.

You do need bump stop extension on both ends in order to prevent damage from the suspension traveling beyond its limits.

Reactions: 1Blacktj

Unless you have full armor, skid plates, heavy f/r bumpers, and a winch the MC 3.5" springs will lift it nearly 5". They were designed to compensate for all of that added weight. They do have a very long free length, but I suspect that isn't something that you need to worry about at this stage.

Most will say that a 3.5" lift is not adequate for running 33" tires unless you also have a body lift. The combination of too small of a lift with 33" tires and no front bumpstops is a recipe for disaster. We have no idea if the rear is bumped properly. It's very possible that your RC springs have sagged, which is reported to be a very common occurrence. If that's the case, it's possible that the rear end is bouncing off of the bump stops and causing the issues (in addition to the awful shocks).

Unless you have full armor, skid plates, heavy f/r bumpers, and a winch the MC 3.5" springs will lift it nearly 5". They were designed to compensate for all of that added weight. They do have a very long free length, but I suspect that isn't something that you need to worry about at this stage.

Most will say that a 3.5" lift is not adequate for running 33" tires unless you also have a body lift. The combination of too small of a lift with 33" tires and no front bumpstops is a recipe for disaster. We have no idea if the rear is bumped properly. It's very possible that your RC springs have sagged, which is reported to be a very common occurrence. If that's the case, it's possible that the rear end is bouncing off of the bump stops and causing the issues (in addition to the awful shocks).
I do have the stock bump stops in the read on but do not have an extension for them.

To give some perspective on what it means to fit or not, my criteria is based on the factory suspension travels. Whatever you do to the Jeep should maintain that travel as a minimum. After you fully cycle the suspension and extend the bump stops, if you have less than 4" of up travel, then something doesn't fit.

Bump stops stop up travel in order to prevent damage.

Springs, body lifts, fancy fenders create room for up travel.

Last edited:
Reactions: fuse and Serbonze
I do have the stock bump stops in the read on but do not have an extension for them.
The rear factory bump stops are set for the stock shocks. The moment you add longer shocks, the rear bump stops need to be extended or you risk over compressing the shocks. This is exactly why broken shock mounts happen.

Reactions: Serbonze
The rear factory bump stops are set for the stock shocks. The moment you add longer shocks, the rear bump stops need to be extended or you risk over compressing the shocks. This is exactly why broken shock mounts happen.
So for the 3.25 lift and 33 tires, about what size bump stop extensions would I need?

And before anyone says "Its a Jeep it isnt meant to be smooth" I know that but I also want to make the girlfriend happier :p

My initial response was going to be "You need a new girlfriend."

But after reading the rest of the thread I'd say do what it takes to get the Jeep right.

You also need understand what smooth really means to the girlfriend. Her version may never align with Jeep reality or anything less than a luxury car ride. Even if that's her version you still might not need a new girlfriend, you may just need to get her a luxury car.

Reactions: Jon Wildes
My initial response was going to be "You need a new girlfriend."

But after reading the rest of the thread I'd say do what it takes to get the Jeep right.

You also need understand what smooth really means to the girlfriend. Her version may never align with Jeep reality or anything less than a luxury car ride. Even if that's her version you still might not need a new girlfriend, you may just need to get her a luxury car.
Well shes slowly gotten used to it but going from her little toyota to a Jeep is totally different so I understand haha but I know my Jeep is never going to ride as well as many other cars. I just want it to be riding as well as a Jeep can ride.