Next Step for Smooth Jeep

So for the 3.25 lift and 33 tires, about what size bump stop extensions would I need?

No one can tell you that. You need to cycle the front and rear suspension to find out where there is interference (track bars, diff covers, skids), or when things are completely collapsing that shouldn’t be (shocks), or where things are hitting that shouldn’t be (tires on fenders).

Read here: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-set-your-bump-stop-on-a-jeep-wrangler-tj.2474/

Reactions: tworley
No one can tell you that. You need to cycle the front and rear suspension to find out where things are hitting, where there is interference (track bars, diff covers), or when things are completely collapsing that shouldn’t be (shocks), or where things are hitting that shouldn’t be (tires on fenders).

Correct. Bump stops limit up travel before damage can occur. Also, everyone needs to understand that lift height has no relationship to any required bump stop extension. The only thing springs do here is create clearance for travel before the bump stops stop that travel.

One other thing to note--doesn't RC include a dropped pitman arm in all of their kits? Bouncing all over the road to me sounds like a bumpsteer issue.

And listen to the rest of the information in this thread--all good and valuable stuff

Reactions: Serbonze and jjvw
One other thing to note--doesn't RC include a dropped pitman arm in all of their kits? Bouncing all over the road to me sounds like a bumpsteer issue.

And listen to the rest of the information in this thread--all good and valuable stuff
No didnt come with one and people say drop pitman arms are terrible in the most part anyway.

Reactions: jjvw
Well shes slowly gotten used to it but going from her little toyota to a Jeep is totally different so I understand haha but I know my Jeep is never going to ride as well as many other cars. I just want it to be riding as well as a Jeep can ride.

Well that's all good to hear. Good luck with that Jeep, I mean girlfriend, oops how about good luck with both.

Reactions: 1Blacktj
Well shes slowly gotten used to it but going from her little toyota to a Jeep is totally different so I understand haha but I know my Jeep is never going to ride as well as many other cars. I just want it to be riding as well as a Jeep can ride.

The creature comforts and isolation from the environment will never be the same as a normal vehicle. But with good parts and thoughtful installation, a TJ can be made to ride and handle quite well.

Reactions: 1Blacktj
Report back after the shock install and let us know how your ride has improved. What load range are your tires? "C", "D", or "E"?

Well then, sounds like you're going the right direction with a C tire and 26psi.
Yea both times iv gotten my tires balanced they air them back up to 35 or 40 and iv gotten a routine to check every week or two just to make sure they are still around 26. Ill check back after I install the shocks tomorrow and ride around on them!

Give them a few hundred miles to break in before you make a judgement on them. Oh, and tell girly girl to "sit down, shut up, and hold on!" Lol!

The old "whining noise from the passenger seat " problem.

I have an 03 Rubicon with 33 inch tires , beadlock rims , a 4" rough country long arm lift , adjustable track bars on both ends , and it drives fantastic. Smooth as it can get ...at any speed .

I'm starting a "Why some Jeeps drive/ride bad "thread.

The old "whining noise from the passenger seat " problem.

I have an 03 Rubicon with 33 inch tires , beadlock rims , a 4" rough country long arm lift , adjustable track bars on both ends , and it drives fantastic. Smooth as it can get ...at any speed .

I'm starting a "Why some Jeeps drive/ride bad "thread.
I'm hoping my problem is loose tie rod ends or loose drag link but I am tightening and greasing everything tonight as well as putting the new shocks in so crossing my fingers!

No one can tell you that. You need to cycle the front and rear suspension to find out where there is interference (track bars, diff covers, skids), or when things are completely collapsing that shouldn’t be (shocks), or where things are hitting that shouldn’t be (tires on fenders).

Read here: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-set-your-bump-stop-on-a-jeep-wrangler-tj.2474/

x2 for what @Serbonze and @jjvw have said!

Once you get the big issues sorted out with tire pressure, suspension setup and steering, refreshing some of the old rubber like spring isolators and body mounts can help smooth things out. Or you can just do that while you're doing the bump stop check, since you'll have the springs out.

Have your Jeep's steering and suspension components checked out at a shop that specializes in Jeeps or off road vehicles. If everything is in good shape and secure then get some good quality shocks to start with; Bilstein 5100s are good and not too spendy.

Getting rid of those Rough Country springs will definitely help; they are cheap and stiff. I had a Rough Country lift with adjustable control arms on my Jeep when I bought it. I knew it would need to be replaced and the first things to go were the shocks then I replaced the springs with Rock Krawler 3.5 inch lift triple rate.

I think the Currie 4 inch lift springs or the Rock Krawlers offer the best ride quality for the price. You'll definitely need bump stops that are set up for your suspension once the springs are in and the shop checks your flex.

Do you have a good steering stabilizer on the Jeep? That makes a big difference.

ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL.
I called Michelin and they recommended a different pressure than the tire shop; not 28 PSI. 41 PSI for my larger than stock 265/75R16.
Which, oddly enough is the highway pressure for my Jeep's BF Goodrich Baja Champions.

For once, the tire shop may have been right.

Reactions: Shatto
Have your Jeep's steering and suspension components checked out at a shop that specializes in Jeeps or off road vehicles. If everything is in good shape and secure then get some good quality shocks to start with; Bilstein 5100s are good and not too spendy.

Getting rid of those Rough Country springs will definitely help; they are cheap and stiff. I had a Rough Country lift with adjustable control arms on my Jeep when I bought it. I knew it would need to be replaced and the first things to go were the shocks then I replaced the springs with Rock Krawler 3.5 inch lift triple rate.

I think the Currie 4 inch lift springs or the Rock Krawlers offer the best ride quality for the price. You'll definitely need bump stops that are set up for your suspension once the springs are in and the shop checks your flex.

Do you have a good steering stabilizer on the Jeep? That makes a big difference.

Rough County springs are actually on the soft end of the spectrum. One indication of that is their length compared to other springs of similar ride heights.

But it doesn't matter. Very little of the ride quality is determined by the springs. The range rates we have available to us isn't very wide. Focus on shocks and tire pressure.

I've never run Bilstein 5100, but not and more people are switching sway from them because of the small event harshness. They are valved for a heavier vehicle than a TJ.

Reactions: Serbonze
Ok sorry for not posting sooner but did not have time to do it this weekend so had a shop install them today. I also had them check if anything in the steering is bad and he said that as far as he could tell they were fine. I didn't drive it very far from the shop back to work but I will give a better review later in the week. He also said that painting the actual silver part on the shock was bad. Does anyone else think this? I painted the whole shock black including the silver part and need to know if I need to guy buy some paint thinner. Thanks!