NP231 doubler / crawlbox

Now we have 2.72 gear splitters.
I had the Warn O/D in a CJ5. It had a T-90 when I'd bought it and I blew that up in no time. Had to drive from 75 miles north of Baltimore to 20 miles south of DC with just 3rd gear. I'd broken the 1st & 2nd gear shaft pulling out of one of the toll booths. So I picked up a Muncie M22 4 speed.
Love'd having that O/D.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
i had messages into that seller fri night, sat morn, and again sun mid day, on those 205's.

he finally replied sun eve........says he's been busy and forgot to get to them yet. so it'll probably be put back until next wkend.

• Sad
Reactions: Wildman
got um...........they both spin , the 1 with lube easier than the other. need cleaned up and pulled apart to get at at least 1 case interior to measure what could be shaved from the casting.

i'm gonna take 1 into the shop and mess with it during breaks and lunch and get a weight on a certified scale. whole and busted down case vs guts.
they still got the aluminum trans adapter cones on um, i'm not gonna count that stuff.

got to talkin to the seller he had a nice shop and used to be into pullin trucks, he's familiar with Kecks Machine i have mentioned in other posts. he says this guy can make anything and could probably do a 205 case, he's not shy of one piece jobs and this guy said they'll deal ya straight.

272947029_508020594371493_7487142636727586414_n.jpg

Got an email back from Midnight Metal. They're using the D300 case with a 46RE.

We test our case inside of my brother's rig, It's a 69' Jeepster commando with a 5.2 magnum and 46re. This setup works very well but the centerline isn't the issue, it's more of a length problem so this jeep has a 2 piece front driveshaft, no issues and works very well.

Thank you

So pretty much answers that question.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Got an email back from Midnight Metal. They're using the D300 case with a 46RE.

So pretty much answers that question.
while you got an open line, maybe ask when/if that 205 is still in the works, plz. i asked on a FB post on their page but it got no attention.

i got 1 of those 205's into the shop today and got that tranny adapter off it. once i dump the old oil i'll get a weight on it. i guess i should find a video on tearing this thing down b4 i just go bustin into it.

pm edit: i found Frogfab on FB (they make the 231 to 205 kit) and am attempting to make contact to be sure it's still an available product.

Last edited:
Frogfab says, it's always in stock.

tranny adapters off, oils drained (do have evidence of some water being in there, not much)

this is the Ford NP205, driver drop, 6 bolt round adapter pattern. a couple pics front and back, the speedo hole is in the topside of the tail housing (gear driven) and the breather is on top.
output spread was reported to be 9.5" and is confirmed. front output yoke center to rear output yoke center lengthwise is 16" and it weighs in at 138#.
next is to tear it down. so far everything has come free easily no signs of heavy corrosion or problems getting things loose so far, even the pinion nuts broke loose without any pain.

272834746_363552835267487_8940287708100338196_n.jpg

273013686_996585027903966_3941951355102804985_n.jpg

Reactions: Mike_H
Frogfab says, it's always in stock.

tranny adapters off, oils drained (do have evidence of some water being in there, not much)

this is the Ford NP205, driver drop, 6 bolt round adapter pattern. a couple pics front and back, the speedo hole is in the topside of the tail housing (gear driven) and the breather is on top.
output spread was reported to be 9.5" and is confirmed. front output yoke center to rear output yoke center lengthwise is 16" and it weighs in at 138#.
next is to tear it down. so far everything has come free easily no signs of heavy corrosion or problems getting things loose so far, even the pinion nuts broke loose without any pain.

View attachment 308459

View attachment 308460
Be interesting to see what's in that giant chunk of casting sitting up above the front output.

Be interesting to see what's in that giant chunk of casting sitting up above the front output.
it has mounting bolt holes that run fairly deep and do not appear to penetrate the case. by this evidence i'm hoping some of that is able to be cut away.

Reactions: Mike_H
Even if it does cut into the case, you might be able to fab up some sort of cover plate, kinda like shaving a 14b axle.
it does have a small cover plate on the bottom side, maybe 7x4. i was thinkin about remaking that in aluminum if i use either case. right now it's double the weight of what a NP231J is.

i watched a GM 205 teardown and that sucker was totally hollow and didn't look that thick............we'll see.

Damn I wish I could find a couple out here for close to that price.

Keep going and figure out how to shave some weight. What is the overall length or the FrogFab & a 205?

EDIT: And I did get a reply from Midnight Metal and this was what they said about the NP205 case.

We think it will be a couple more months until we are ready to release the 205 version.

Thank you

Reactions: someguysjeep
What is the overall length or the FrogFab & a 205?
can't find a concrete answer to that.
i can measure the input face to the rear yoke today. add about 3/8" for the adapter plate, then we'd just need to add the length of the front 1/2 of the 231. which i can try and get later today.

also want to figure out what the difference might be with that 6.125" ecobox vs the 231 1/2..

the Frog fab kit is 720$ CAN. the exchange is 1 to 1.2, this takes the cost up 860$ ish US. so that brings the eco box to within reason.

Last edited:
can't find a concrete answer to that.
i can measure the input face to the rear yoke today. add about 3/8" for the adapter plate, then we'd just need to add the length of the front 1/2 of the 231. which i can try and get later today.

also want to figure out what the difference might be with that 6.125" ecobox vs the 231 1/2..

the Frog fab kit is 720$ CAN. the exchange is 1 to 1.2, this takes the cost up 860$ ish US. so that brings the eco box to within reason.

Went back and read where I'd found the lengths of a crawler box (231)

the 231J front half is 6 7/8", the block off plate is 1/2", and the clocking ring is 1/2", total length of 7 7/8"

And you're using your conversion rate backwards. $1 US = $1.20 Can so a $750 part in Canada is $592 in US.

I was in Germany at one point where the exchange rate was $1 tp $4 German marks. So if something cost $24 German marks it was $6 US.

Reactions: someguysjeep
And you're using your conversion rate backwards. $1 US = $1.20 Can so a $750 part in Canada is $592 in US.
much betterer. guess i cyphered that together wrong. thanx for fixin me.

so i got every single bolt loose on that case without issue.
front and rear output bearing covers are off. i'm being careful and baggin n taggin each piece with it's hardware as i disassemble it. yokes slid right off.

someone mentioned the output yokes on this case should fit/flop front to back. they do as far as spline counts but the yoke necks are different and use different ID seals.

Awesome, KEWL find. So now you know you can cut that piece off the top no problem. I know that aluminum case isn't cheap but I can't wait to find out what the whole she-bang weighs.

2.72 crawl box & 1.96 NP205= 5.33 which is the low crawl ratio that I currently have. I of course HOPE/Fingers Crossed that my STaK's doesn't break but it's nice to know I do have options.

right from the horses mouth (Behe) .......100$ a pound.
23# is all that $ saves us, the rest (doubler) is moot cause it's an add on to everything, now that 23# savings could negate the weight of that add on. but in the end we're buying 23#.

case weight.PNG

midnights knockin that down to about 75$ a #, maybe?.