NP242 Transfer Case Swap?

Any updates?
@Jramos013 , thanks for reminding me I almost forgot.

I just picked up the transfer case yesterday for $100 that came off a '01 XJ with about 100k ish miles. not too worried about mileage since there really aren't any parts to be worn down. took some pics of the tag yesterday and once i get off work ill send some more.

Also picked up this weird instatrunk looking thing for the tj by bestop but it goes all the way to the front seats so you can't put in the rear seat while it is in. tried to look for more info online but came up blank. Will probably list it for sale later on since once the days get warmer I will be needing the back seat again.

IMG_5083.jpg

Well just so you know this has been done before by a fellow PNW Jeeper who put it in his TJ for a few years and then went a different route. He was also running TruTrac LSD's front and rear at the same time. He said it was a awesome rig to drive in the snow and other slippery areas.
I bought the NP242 with a Hack & Tap SYE from him this past summer and am planning on installing the 242 into my daughters TJ this coming summer. I live in the mountains of WA and we get snow every winter so it will make it a easier rig for her to drive then.
Good luck and I'll be following your thread to see how your install goes.
He did tell me that he had trouble trying get the shifter linkage correct to have the travel for the added position.

Are all the gear selection in the 242 mechanical, like the 232 or the full awd is with an electric switch?

Are all the gear selection in the 242 mechanical, like the 232 or the full awd is with an electric switch?

Mechanical to the best of my knowledge. If you watch some Liberty's had a 242 in them and their shift lever has the shift pattern on it.

Mechanical to the best of my knowledge. If you watch some Liberty's had a 242 in them and their shift lever has the shift pattern on it.
that is correct, all np242's essentially have a mechanical torque biasing diff built in so there is no electrical connections besides the shift position indicator and the speedo sensor

Reactions: Jramos013
This swap sounds very interesting. I might start gathering parts to work on it later on.

i was googling info and found this shifter, it might solve the shifter gate issue.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/...FZfSVucpqL0brmgLqvDD90R9Js14zkrAaAl3LEALw_wcB

They Jeeper I bought my t-case from said he had the Novak cable and still couldn't get it JUST RIGHT. Once I start mine I'm going to try using the Novak cable as I already have it. We'll see what I can come up with.

See it you can find the Xj cage the the transfer case shifter went through so you can see what position the shit case has for each slot in the cage, the np242 has the additional stop position for full time 4wd hi, vs the single one on the 231

Forgot to mention on the 3 swaps I did, I also switched out the shift gate and the associated bezel showing the positiond

Here is a picture of a KJ (Liberty) shifter for a Select Trac t-case.

This from the Ebay listing is from a 2002-2004. Here is the Ebay listing.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=233451004799

Now if it will work in a TJ I have no idea but it would be worth a shot.

1579372712970.png

The other possibility would be to get JUST the shifter guide plate and glue it onto the stock shifter?

1579373226474.png

From what I understand the issue was that the TJ shifter didn't have enough room for the extended throw needed to hit the additional gate. But I know from having the Tera 2Lo before that it took a lot of trial and error to get the shifter JUST RIGHT so it could hit that additional spot.

The part number for the KJ shifter is: Shifter-Transfer Case - Mopar (52128942AC) and it is still available if you wanted to buy a new one.

https://www.wholesalemopar.com/oem-...0eSZ5PTIwMDQmdD1saW1pdGVkJmU9My03bC12Ni1nYXM=

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
See it you can find the Xj cage the the transfer case shifter went through so you can see what position the shit case has for each slot in the cage, the np242 has the additional stop position for full time 4wd hi, vs the single one on the 231
Forgot to mention on the 3 swaps I did, I also switched out the shift gate and the associated bezel showing the positiond

Yes but none of those bezels are going to work in a TJ unless you hack up your stock console and somehow put one into it.

1579373600117.png

This one is from a XJ so I'm not sure how you could get it to work in a TJ.

1579373714310.png

This one is from a ZJ and again I don't know how we would get it fit in a TJ. I still think using a KJ shifter handle or at least the shifter guide plate is the best bet.

Most of this info i found while researching before I started this project. The Novak Z-Gate shifter is not recommended (by novak) on tjs according to their description on the site, although I don't know why. I sent an email to them to see which mechanism they recommend and they will probably respond to either mon or tues.

i'm pretty sure the existing shifter will work for testing so i'll have time to find out what the best solution is, whether it be from novak or retrofitted from a ZJ/XJ.

there is also a light socket for full time 4wd that already exists in the tj gauge so i'll just need to figure out how to set up the last cable on the posi sensor (tj is 3 prong vs np242 4 prong). apparently some 231 xjs just have the 4 prong tucked behind the transmission plate but idk if it needs to be an auto for me to get that lucky. I wish I could get the shifter mechanism from a selec trac xj but I got the tc from a restoration shop that probably still uses it or doesn't know where it is.

I'll be taking apart the t case tomorrow since I'm off till 3:30.

You obviously must have done a ton of research if you already had most of this info. I'll be watching this thread to see how it goes for you and what you come up with as far as the shifter goes. Really interested in seeing if you can figure out how to trip the dash light.

This is all I can find on the Novak site about the Z-Gate shifter:
For TJ/LJ, Rubicon, and ZJ models, we recommend the cable shifter version unless you either want or need to eliminate the interior handle.

Is there something else I am missing or is this what you are talking about them saying it isn't recommended?

Is there something else I am missing or is this what you are talking about them saying it isn't recommended?

that’s the one! i have a thread on wranglerf orum that i started mid november about swapping t cases. i still need to figure out the shifter situation though. luckily this is something that has been covered by many XJ owners.

my last possible issue is driveshaft vibrations. i don’t have a lift currently but i could see myself getting a small one soon, so i’ll have to see how i will figure that out (sye w/ adjustable driveshaft is looking like the most likely solution)

Reactions: Wildman
I've got a XJ shifters I think do you need pictures of them? What about the XJ shifter is different than the TJ shifter?

@Jramos013 , thanks for reminding me I almost forgot.

I just picked up the transfer case yesterday for $100 that came off a '01 XJ with about 100k ish miles. not too worried about mileage since there really aren't any parts to be worn down. took some pics of the tag yesterday and once i get off work ill send some more.

Also picked up this weird instatrunk looking thing for the tj by bestop but it goes all the way to the front seats so you can't put in the rear seat while it is in. tried to look for more info online but came up blank. Will probably list it for sale later on since once the days get warmer I will be needing the back seat again.

View attachment 134833

Very cool. I'm looking forward to reading details on this NP242 swap.