NV3550 replacement shifter options

This should help... In Neutral, it's 9.5" from the top of the shift surround to the top of the knob.
No body lift for me. But I do have seat risers which puts the knob an additional 1.5” lower relative to the seating position.
IMG_7928.jpeg

Dare I say, I find the entire experience pretty much perfect. It's my daily driver so I get a lot of 'shift time'

Last edited:
Reactions: mjonesjr84
This should help... In Neutral, it's 9.5" from the top of the shift surround to the top of the knob.
No body lift for me.
View attachment 502283
Dare I say, I find the entire experience pretty much perfect. It's my daily driver so I get a lot of 'shift time'

Perfect, thanks. I DD my TJ currently since the roads are covered in salt and grime.

I wound up going with the B&M shifter after the measurements and pictures posted. I got it installed tonight. The hardest part was removing the center console.

How are you liking it? I'm in the same boat as you were a few months back. My shifter just floats around in neutral like a single cheerio in a mixing bowl of milk. I'm not to concerned with getting a "shorter throw", however would love for it to be tighter while in neutral. Trying to figure out if I just go the less costly route of a "stock" replacement or go ahead and drop the coin on the B&M.

How are you liking it? I'm in the same boat as you were a few months back. My shifter just floats around in neutral like a single cheerio in a mixing bowl of milk. I'm not to concerned with getting a "shorter throw", however would love for it to be tighter while in neutral. Trying to figure out if I just go the less costly route of a "stock" replacement or go ahead and drop the coin on the B&M.
Get the B&M and don't look back. It is MUCH better than any factory shifter. I don't have any regrets and am glad I spent the money.

The closest thing I have to a complaint about the B&M is that between the TJ and the Ranger previous to that, the only manuals I've driven for the past 11+ years have been generously described as "sloppy". So I've developed a habit of pushing sideways as I'm shifting (i.e. to the right when starting a 2-3 shift). The B&M's throws are so short that it's amplifying that enough to bind things up.

It's better, but so different from stock that it takes some relearning.

The closest thing I have to a complaint about the B&M is that between the TJ and the Ranger previous to that, the only manuals I've driven for the past 11+ years have been generously described as "sloppy". So I've developed a habit of pushing sideways as I'm shifting (i.e. to the right when starting a 2-3 shift). The B&M's throws are so short that it's amplifying that enough to bind things up.

It's better, but so different from stock that it takes some relearning.

I had to learn to just relax when going to 3rd and 4th, the B&M naturally moves to and stays in the center slot. I love the B&M.

I'm not to concerned with getting a "shorter throw", however would love for it to be tighter while in neutral.
Why does it matter? You don't drive around in neutral. My 5 and 6 speeds always shifted fine. If they don't, you have an issue or you just can't drive a manual trans. :unsure:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ocho and MikekiM