Official Formula 1 thread

Some news outlets mentioned Lewis and Toto will not be attending the awards ceremony. We will see if that is actually true. If so, that is a bit of a bummer.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/fo...gd9SLVI_DPJxwxSWCy1is7mAQ7WonFXweGymVf3rYzyIE
“We left Abu Dhabi in disbelief of what we had just witnessed,” said the team in an open letter posted on social media this morning. “Of course, it’s part of the game to lose a race, but it’s something different when you lose faith in racing.
“Together with Lewis, we have deliberated carefully over how to respond to the events at the Formula 1 season finale. We have always been guided by our love of this sport and we believe that every competition should be won on merit. In the race on Sunday many felt, us included, that the way things unfolded was not right.

“We appealed in the interest of sporting fairness, and we have since been in constructive dialogue with the FIA and Formula 1 to create clarity for the future,” the team explained, later adding: “We will hold the FIA accountable for this process and we hereby withdraw our appeal.”

The statement went on to congratulate Verstappen and Red Bull for their achievements this year, and said: “We look forward to taking the fight to you on track next season.”

Merc have officially withdrawn their appeal.

Maybe.,...

They realize that pursuing it won't change the result. And since there is now such intense scrutiny on race control and Masi, the cause, that would be a better course of action.

Was thinking this morning.. winning the championship under such perverse question and doubt as how how it was won, would taint it for me if I were now champion. Sadly, I don't think Max will feel that way.

Maybe.,...

They realize that pursuing it won't change the result. And since there is now such intense scrutiny on race control and Masi, the cause, that would be a better course of action.

Was thinking this morning.. winning the championship under such perverse question and doubt as how how it was won, would taint it for me if I were now champion. Sadly, I don't think Max will feel that way.
Well, you can look at it two ways - a championship is won over an entire season. Max couldn't have won it if he didn't perform over the entirety of the season. So, one race result that was out of his control other than what he could do on the track might not spoil it for him, and I won't hold that against him.

Max and Red Bull did nothing wrong in Abu Dhabi - they put themselves in the best position to take advantage of something if it happened. They didn't make the call to let the cars through, but they sure as hell made sure they took advantage of it.

On the other hand, to me anyway, it is a bit tainted because of what MM and the Stewards did. There was a much better way of handling the situation, and I think MM was both right and wrong at the same time with what he wanted to accomplish and what he did.

Reactions: Longwhitejeep
All good points.

Had Max & Lewis not gone in dead even on points, I wouldn't feel the way I do. But with the exception of the single additional win for Max, this might as well have been the one and only race of the season.

All things being equal, I understand MMs intent. Do not let the championship be decided behind the SC. Many of the teams weighed in with their approval of this.

I know what Red Bulls position is and as a team, I can't say I would have any different approach. But as an individual competitor, the win is tainted. That's just my competitive nature coming through. I wouldn't want that cloud over the win.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/fo...gd9SLVI_DPJxwxSWCy1is7mAQ7WonFXweGymVf3rYzyIE
“We left Abu Dhabi in disbelief of what we had just witnessed,” said the team in an open letter posted on social media this morning. “Of course, it’s part of the game to lose a race, but it’s something different when you lose faith in racing.
“Together with Lewis, we have deliberated carefully over how to respond to the events at the Formula 1 season finale. We have always been guided by our love of this sport and we believe that every competition should be won on merit. In the race on Sunday many felt, us included, that the way things unfolded was not right.

“We appealed in the interest of sporting fairness, and we have since been in constructive dialogue with the FIA and Formula 1 to create clarity for the future,” the team explained, later adding: “We will hold the FIA accountable for this process and we hereby withdraw our appeal.”

The statement went on to congratulate Verstappen and Red Bull for their achievements this year, and said: “We look forward to taking the fight to you on track next season.”
My guess is that part of the deal is that Masi will not be Race Director next season. If I were Toto that would have been a non-negotiable in any discussion about dropping the appeal.

Reactions: Ocho
My guess is that part of the deal is that Masi will not be Race Director next season. If I were Toto that would have been a non-negotiable in any discussion about dropping the appeal.
I thought about that, but I've not seen any word on his dismissal or "mutual agreement" yet.

All good points.

Had Max & Lewis not gone in dead even on points, I wouldn't feel the way I do. But with the exception of the single additional win for Max, this might as well have been the one and only race of the season.
And that single win for Verstappen is this year's abortion at Spa where they didn't even race.

Reactions: MikekiM
Clearly some teams got it right in the off season and some still have some work to do. It will sure make things interesting.

Nice to the red cars up front again. I hope Carlos and can get his first pole and win this year! Plus that Ferrari is stunner with those side pods and I like the new matte red.

Really sucks to see McLaren at the back though.

Really excited for Haas this year! They all look so happy and Kmag making Mic look less impressive.

Riccardo wins worst career moves.

Red Bull need to get the engine reliability sorted. That was 3 out 4. It was cool to see Max and Charles battling it out for a few laps.

Well well Mr Verstappen and Red Bull - first race 2022 and "Instant karma going to get you, you know that it will" :cool:

Mind you those Italian Stallions were something else.

I don't buy the karma for Red Bull. Read the F1 report that was jist released for that whole shit show. Red Bull didn't have the ultimate say in the lap car debacle it was up to the racing director. They have since clarified the rules further regarding that lap situation. They did what any other team in their situation would have done and petition for the best possible outcome for their driver.

Really excited for Haas this year! They all look so happy and Kmag making Mic look less impressive.
I was saying this to my friends and they were acting like I was crazy.

MSC had all summer to work with the team and the first round of testing. KMag had 10 days from signing to racing and he outpaces him by 0.5s. I'm excited to see how they match up over the year

I was saying this to my friends and they were acting like I was crazy.

MSC had all summer to work with the team and the first round of testing. KMag had 10 days from signing to racing and he outpaces him by 0.5s. I'm excited to see how they match up over the year
I think it will be good for MSC honestly. He had some bad luck with a spin but kmag first day in the car and he was fastest in practice.

Stroll being out qualified by Hulk was a bit embarrassing too. Hulk had only a few days at most to learn the car.

Reactions: jesseshoots
So happy to see Haas making a strong showing. Gunther might curse a little less this season.

Time and time again I am reminded that it ain't over until it over. No way I expected Lewis to be on the podium.

Overall, this first race is great for a season opener. That said.. I hate the 18" wheels. REALLY hate the hub caps.