Utah Official TJ Fest 2023 Thread

Not as common and they say digital can get out of sync and miss communication. They say. I've never tried it.

I can adjust my junk to the group if my radio will handle it.

Neither CTCSS or DCS is "privacy". Anyone on the main channel can hear it all, the code prevents them from being heard back if they try to reply.
We run with no codes so we're always on the same page.. but we're remote with very little radio traffic.

You're preaching to the choir, son. I have yet to find a single person on ANY of these Jeep forums that know more about radio than me. Its not about "privacy", its about not having to listen to people outside your group with the limited amount of channels at a popular wheeling venue. I modified radios in Moab and programmed a lot of them. I shared my radio file with people smart enough to buy RT Systems instead of Chirp. Everyone else got a spreadsheet. People sent me their radios and I programmed them here at home and shipped them back. Safe to say its not my first rodeo by a long shot.

We used DCS without issue in 2021 and now its your turn to try it...before passing judgment.

You're preaching to the choir, son.
I'm waay older than you pop.
I have yet to find a single person on ANY of these Jeep forums that know more about radio than me. Its not about "privacy", its about not having to listen to people outside your group with the limited amount of channels at a popular wheeling venue. I modified radios in Moab and programmed a lot of them. I shared my radio file with people smart enough to buy RT Systems instead of Chirp. Everyone else got a spreadsheet. People sent me their radios and I programmed them here at home and shipped them back. Safe to say its not my first rodeo by a long shot.
I do the same for the folks in my crowd and have yet to use Chirp

Only asking how it's done at Moab so I can play along. Did not judge whatsoever..read closely.

Last edited:
Just got approval to take the time off. Registered. I've got some friends I'll be staying with in Moab. Not sure what TJ I'll be there in, but looking forward to it!

@Chris - Tried to make a donation when I registered, but was throwing a stripe error. Just thought I'd let someone know.

@Chris - Tried to make a donation when I registered, but was throwing a stripe error. Just thought I'd let someone know.

That's odd. I just ran my card through it and it worked fine. Any chance you could PM me a screenshot of the error if you try it again? I want to know what error code it's giving you (if any) as it will make it easier to troubleshoot.

Got a look/see at the list of folks registered. Wondering if I'll find someone to roll with on the trail.. I haven't done Moab before and not into the extreme stuff, at least not yet, but not totally chickenshit :LOL:. If there are bypasses on the nasties, I'd not be ashamed but I'm also willing to test my skills to a point. I don't wanna be that guy wandering around looking to tag along.

Also, if anyone is rolling from West Coast, PNW down I-80 to SLC I'm along that route and could caravan along, depending on your schedule. I'd be trailering the LJR and tent camping - I have KOA 4/28 - 5/6 IIRC. Might take that down to 3 days or so.

This is the list I have from this thread and other discussions. Pretty small (edited to add a few more who notified me of plans to go or not:

@jjvw ?
@rasband
@toximus
@tworley ?
@Kevin Q
@Therbytj
@L0jik
@EternalHobbyist
@Alex01
@Midnight LJR
@Lonewolf
@ChevyKeith
@josb612 ?
@gogetter
@Rwd1960

Anyone else?

This is what I got today from the registry. Accurate?

nathanaelward
NOTNSUV
EternalHobbyist
davef
L0jik
Peakbagger
UhOh
JamesBuhr
UhOh
Snh74
DJs TJ
ChevyKeith
roadcapt
rwd1960
jkslvr
jkslvr
gogetter
Donnie801
camaroracer1992
RINC
Bobthetj03
LarryTJ
toximus

Got a look/see at the list of folks registered. Wondering if I'll find someone to roll with on the trail.. I haven't done Moab before and not into the extreme stuff, at least not yet, but not totally chickenshit :LOL:. If there are bypasses on the nasties, I'd not be ashamed but I'm also willing to test my skills to a point. I don't wanna be that guy wandering around looking to tag along.

Also, if anyone is rolling from West Coast, PNW down I-80 to SLC I'm along that route and could caravan along, depending on your schedule. I'd be trailering the LJR and tent camping - I have KOA 4/28 - 5/6 IIRC. Might take that down to 3 days or so.

You have enough Jeep to do all the trails in Moab and most of the obstacles.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
I’m wanting to run Cliffhanger, Poison Spider/Golden Crack/Gold Bar (long day), Kane Creek, Pritchett, and whatever else. After that I’ll be looking to wheel CA.

Poison Spider/golden Crack/Goldbar would be awesome, Kane Creek also sound fun.

I might just ride with @Alex01 on Pritchett 🤣

Reactions: JMT
I might just ride with @Alex01 on Pritchett 🤣

1681070454948.gif

Heard body damage is very common on that one. But I don’t know, haven’t watched any videos on it yet.

I can think of a spot on the trifecta that’s much more likely to give body damage.

I’ve only damaged my body on the Rubicon and that was from a rock that my tires didn’t want to let go of.