Opinion on rear diff pattern

You have no clue how fucking annoyed I am with certain people constantly fighting and bickering like little cry babies.

It blows my mind that some of these people are grown adults and can’t even be remotely civil with each other. I don’t expect anyone to agree on everything, but the way that some of these guys go about their disagreements with one another is nothing short of childish.

I get PMs semi-regularly about it from other people too. Everyone wants to tattle on each other, rat each other out, and suggest that so-and-so gets banned.

You should see how many people alone have messaged me about you. Believe it or not, I stand up for you every time.

You should really, reallllly see what goes on in private, I’ll say that much. You’d really start to see what I mean when I say that a lot of these guys are truly behaving like children.

All I want is for people to at least try and be civil. It makes my job easier and it makes the forum hopefully a nicer place.

I realize it’s probably a hopeless cause, I just don’t understand it. I suppose everything is so divided politically now that’s it’s boiled over into every day life.

I personally could care less if someone is running a Metalcloak lift. I’m not going to recommend it, but I’m also not going to take it personally.

You’re right to respond for these reasons, and I appreciate that you’re not doing it in the same way that some folks are.
Chris - I agree that you should definitely ban pagrey.

Wait, I thought this was a PM!!!!

:)

(You know I'm kidding, Pag)

Chris - I agree that you should definitely ban pagrey.

Wait, I thought this was a PM!!!!

:)

(You know I'm kidding, Pag)
I’m very anti-ban. Someone would either have to really cross the line, or I’d have to be having a very bad day and someone would have to say just the right thing. 😆

• USA Proud
Reactions: SvtLdr
You have no clue how fucking annoyed I am with certain people constantly fighting and bickering like little cry babies.

It blows my mind that some of these people are grown adults and can’t even be remotely civil with each other. I don’t expect anyone to agree on everything, but the way that some of these guys go about their disagreements with one another is nothing short of childish.

I get PMs semi-regularly about it from other people too. Everyone wants to tattle on each other, rat each other out, and suggest that so-and-so gets banned.

You should see how many people alone have messaged me about you. Believe it or not, I stand up for you every time.

You should really, reallllly see what goes on in private, I’ll say that much. You’d really start to see what I mean when I say that a lot of these guys are truly behaving like children.

All I want is for people to at least try and be civil. It makes my job easier and it makes the forum hopefully a nicer place.

I realize it’s probably a hopeless cause, I just don’t understand it. I suppose everything is so divided politically now that’s it’s boiled over into every day life.

I personally could care less if someone is running a Metalcloak lift. I’m not going to recommend it, but I’m also not going to take it personally.

You’re right to respond for these reasons, and I appreciate that you’re not doing it in the same way that some folks are.
I stand by my recommendations.

I’m very anti-ban. Someone would either have to really cross the line, or I’d have to be having a very bad day and someone would have to say just the right thing. 😆

I stand by my recommendations.
And what would that be? I know I'm way low on the food chain here, but I think that something should be done to weed out the trolls. When I was over on JF, the forums started to get overrun by trolls and one-time posters.
I followed Jerry and blaine over here and couldn't be happier.

And what would that be? I know I'm way low on the food chain here, but I think that something should be done to weed out the trolls. When I was over on JF, the forums started to get overrun by trolls and one-time posters.
I followed Jerry and blaine over here and couldn't be happier.
You think we have a lot of trolls here? We have a handful of idiots, that’s about it. But what good does banning a one-time poster do?

You think we have a lot of trolls here? We have a handful of idiots, that’s about it. But what good does banning a one-time poster do?
I didn't say we had a lot of trolls, there are a few and that is how it starts. JF was a decent forum up until a few years ago when it started to get overrun by trolls and idiots. Quite a few of us got fed up and left.
A lot of one-time posters will join multiple forums and post up the same question only to never been seen gain.
There are things that can be done to help deter this.

Reactions: TRE3TOP
I’m trying to fix my pattern and was told to remove shims from pinion to reduce the depth but what if there are no shims on between the race and axle housing for the pinion gear. All I have done was install the bearing race without shims and the pattern is a bit deep. Is there something else causing the pattern to be too deep that I may be doing wrong. All help much appreciated.

I’m trying to fix my pattern and was told to remove shims from pinion to reduce the depth but what if there are no shims on between the race and axle housing for the pinion gear. All I have done was install the bearing race without shims and the pattern is a bit deep. Is there something else causing the pattern to be too deep that I may be doing wrong. All help much appreciated.
I can't remember if the Dana35 has an oil slinger (baffle) or not? Often times those were used as the pinion shim. The Dana factory had them on hand in various thicknesses so there wasn't a need for another shim behind the race.

If you don’t put enough load when testing the pattern could your pattern come out too tight and incorrect? Because if there is no shims to correct a pattern that is too deep between the pinion race and axle housing then what do you do?

If you don’t put enough load when testing the pattern could your pattern come out too tight and incorrect? Because if there is no shims to correct a pattern that is too deep between the pinion race and axle housing then what do you do?
No. Too little load on the ring gear will only give you a pattern that's vague and difficult to read. It won't change what's actually happening between the gear teeth. Where is your backlash currently at?

your dead positive you seated the race all the way? and there was no old shim stuck in there? and you have the pinion preload correct also, yes?

and 4-5 thou is to tight, isn't it?

Yes I just took the race out verified no shim pounded the race back in and made sure it was seated all the way. I will check backlash and run a pattern again soon and post results. Tolerances are 4-9 thous from what I’ve read. And the preload with the first pattern was a bit low like 10 in lbs the one I have now is closer to correct at like 18 in lbs.

and 4-5 thou is to tight, isn't it?
That's what I was thinking also but was going to wait till I get home to check my notes. My gut says it needs to be in the 6 - 11 thousands range? Also worthy to note that backlash will effect pinion depth (to an extent).

Reactions: someguysjeep
That's what I was thinking also but was going to wait till I get home to check my notes. My gut says it needs to be in the 6 - 11 thousands range? Also worthy to note that backlash will effect pinion depth (to an extent).
if thats what 4-5 looks like i'd open it to a fat 6 and try again.

If there are no shims behind the race, then look between the pinion head and bearing. If you reused the slinger then it's probably too thick.

My Dana 35 didn’t have a slinger I just tightened it back down I will run another pattern and send results shortly. I’m hoping me cranking the pinion nut a little bit more will do the trick.