Opinion on rear diff pattern

Do you have the crush sleeve in? If you do, take it out for setup. Pinion preload isn't critical during setup. Just tighten the nut until you have some resistance. Don't overtighten though.

Reactions: SvtLdr
Ok check backlash at 4 different spots 6 thou at 3 points and 7 at the fourth preload at around 18 in lbs and here is the pattern.

E4FCCA5D-5CCD-43F1-9ED4-439164611D28.jpeg

011B1FBE-1E11-4409-9A2C-69F8FBA47887.jpeg

3A0C2CE1-23E7-4A62-BCE2-92BD5BC8038E.jpeg

Looks like the drive side is too much towards the toe and the coast side is too much to the heel and still a bit too deep which means I need to move ring away from pinion correct?

Looks like the drive side is too much towards the toe and the coast side is too much to the heel and still a bit too deep which means I need to move ring away from pinion correct?
Still too deep. Do you have the crush sleeve in there? If so, take it out until final setup. Help us help you.

Reactions: SvtLdr
still got the old pinion bearing cup? could trim that diameter down a hair for a slip fit and see if that gives a different result. maybe you got an out of spec race?
could throw the calipers to um but it's really how deep the cones rest into it that determines depth.

Something isn't right. I'm on the bet you have some sort of shim between the pinion head and the pinion bearing. Did you put anything there or are you reusing the original gears?

My guess is one of two things. Either you have a shim under the pinion bearing or you aren't seating the race all the way. When you hammer that thing in you should hear/feel a ping when it's seated.

Another thought is thick gears on a carrier that doesn't need it.

Reactions: someguysjeep
I just talked with my buddy who pressed on the pinion bearing for me and he said he pressed on shims between the pinion and bearing. From what I’ve read the shims should be between the race and axle housing is that correct and no shims on the pinion?

They can go in either configuration. If you are going to put then behind the race, make a setup race until you get your final pattern.

Reactions: someguysjeep
I just talked with my buddy who pressed on the pinion bearing for me and he said he pressed on shims between the pinion and bearing. From what I’ve read the shims should be between the race and axle housing is that correct and no shims on the pinion?
Correct. That's why you make a setup race to slip in and out of the housing when changing shims. After you get the proper pinion depth, you press the new race (much tighter fit) in on top of the shims.

Reactions: williambmac