Overland LJR built to explore and expedition

The removal of weight would lower the pinion angle correct? Or atleast raise the driveshaft angle increasing the over all difference. Let us know if it is better with the spare removed. Then we can get that angle and use it for setting the pinion while fully loaded.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobthetj03
Yep, ds will be steeper without the spare and thus changes the relationship between the pinion and ds. Since your point of reference is 1/2 tank of fuel, let's use that as the constant. Remove the spare and report back.

Reactions: tomtaylz
Also to note, your ds is at 17. That is pretty steep, even for an LJ ds. Mine is at 15 and my ds is about half the length of yours. That TT really puts it up there.

Half tank of gas, No spare (but spare in the back of the Jeep)

16.8 pinion 17 driveshaft.

So exactly 1* increase on the pinion, no change on driveshaft. Didn’t we say the drive shaft should be a different angle and or pinion lower? I’ll try and do some more measurements without and with the spare this week. It’s going to be a slow process as even getting somewhere flat for me is a journey. I guess next steps is put the spare on and try that same angle?

Reactions: Alex01
Half tank of gas, No spare (but spare in the back of the Jeep)

16.8 pinion 17 driveshaft.

So exactly 1* increase on the pinion, no change on driveshaft. Didn’t we say the drive shaft should be a different angle and or pinion lower? I’ll try and do some more measurements without and with the spare this week. It’s going to be a slow process as even getting somewhere flat for me is a journey. I guess next steps is put the spare on and try that same angle?
Its so odd.... didnt we try the it at exactly the same? Hard to believe .2 makes a difference

I’ll try and double check those numbers this week. I need to find somewhere flat, light, and where I won’t get run over lol
How close are you to the zoo? They have a great parking lot.

So my Possessed Jeep

I put on my new spare, I don’t have it tight against the snubbers yet. It’s maybe 2” further out than the 33”

307A03C3-8469-4728-9645-65E9F67822A9.jpeg

Took her for a ride. I’d say the vibes are worse at idle than with no spare (I’m not sure how they are compared to the 33”), and a little worse at 65 but not as bad as when I had the 33” spare which was tight against the snubbers.

It was only a short test drive at about half a tank of gas but the 65 vibes didn’t seem as bad.. my Jeep does feel to be a fair bit bouncy though, a bit better than no spare but I swear it wasn’t as bad with the 33”. And I need to fix the darn castor.

So my Possessed Jeep

I put on my new spare, I don’t have it tight against the snubbers yet. It’s maybe 2” further out than the 33”

View attachment 84862

Took her for a ride. I’d say the vibes are worse at idle than with no spare (I’m not sure how they are compared to the 33”), and a little worse at 65 but not as bad as when I had the 33” spare which was tight against the snubbers.

It was only a short test drive at about half a tank of gas but the 65 vibes didn’t seem as bad.. my Jeep does feel to be a fair bit bouncy though, a bit better than no spare but I swear it wasn’t as bad with the 33”. And I need to fix the darn castor.
I have a nice set of 33's at the house I bet you can get a good deal on. ;)

That is so weird considering the new tires are suppose to be less stiff. Hopefully once the castor / rear driveshaft is fixed it will ride a lot better.

I have a nice set of 33's at the house I bet you can get a good deal on. ;)

That is so weird considering the new tires are suppose to be less stiff. Hopefully once the castor / rear driveshaft is fixed it will ride a lot better.

Maybe I’m imagining things or was on a rougher than usual road but I swear the 35s with 33” spare was less bouncy.

I’m going to try and take a couple of hrs this weekend and play with angles. I still need to track down the idle vibe, haven’t looked at MML torque yet, on the list.

Maybe I’m imagining things or was on a rougher than usual road but I swear the 35s with 33” spare was less bouncy.

I’m going to try and take a couple of hrs this weekend and play with angles. I still need to track down the idle vibe, haven’t looked at MML torque yet, on the list.
Wait. Less bumpy with the 33 spare then the 35.... Your jeep is possessed.

Reactions: tomtaylz