"Pacing myself" build

Put it off for as long as I could. Hard top went on today. :cry:
Welcome back to the dark side😂
1636341924512.gif

• Haha
Reactions: DrDmoney and Indy
The drive to work this morning reminded me why I waited. While it is quieter, it also comes with it's own set of noises. Oh well, that's what my stereo is for.

This is the reason why I haven't put my hardtop back on since I removed it for summer 2020 :LOL: I was perfectly OK with soft top last winter .. last year I ran with the half doors/sliders, this year I think I will put back just the full doors. Will have to think about selling that hard top if I am not going to use it.

This is the reason why I haven't put my hardtop back on since I removed it for summer 2020 :LOL: I was perfectly OK with soft top last winter .. last year I ran with the half doors/sliders, this year I think I will put back just the full doors. Will have to think about selling that hard top if I am not going to use it.
If you decide to sell ask a crazy number first. I thought $1,500 was a crazy number when I posted mine and I sold it within 20 minutes with multiple inquires at the asking price.

If you decide to sell ask a crazy number first. I thought $1,500 was a crazy number when I posted mine and I sold it within 20 minutes with multiple inquires at the asking price.

That is crazy. Given the amount rain here, there is a lot of demand for hard tops in general .. I have seen 1k, but this is good to know.

I am finding that the soft top is more than adequate for the rain here even .. but mine is the OEM top and it fits very well. I am guessing if there are leaks and such then it can get very irritating.

Reactions: Alex01
My soft top is factory as well, and is more water proof than my hard top is. I was just getting tired of the freeway noise, as it's my daily and it's getting cold and wet out.

I have some Noico waiting to be installed inside my full doors. Probably my first project when I get to Corvallis.

I have some Noico waiting to be installed inside my full doors. Probably my first project when I get to Corvallis.
Doors only? I’ll be interested in hearing your report. I have 18sq ft, but haven’t installed it. Locations I was thinking are transmission tunnel and firewall.

Reactions: D M
Doors only? I’ll be interested in hearing your report. I have 18sq ft, but haven’t installed it. Locations I was thinking are transmission tunnel and firewall.
Yes, just the doors this time. I did the transmission tunnel and the high spots under the front seats last year. I've read a couple of posts by Blaine which said doing the doors made a significant improvement.

Yes, just the doors this time. I did the transmission tunnel and the high spots under the front seats last year. I've read a couple of posts by Blaine which said doing the doors made a significant improvement.
Interesting. I will heed that message from MrBlaine. Thanks for that

Reactions: zebra12 and D M
Thats great to know because I have one sheet of noico left over from deadening the tub and I plan to use it on the doors* Do you know where blaine said that(looking for pics)

Last edited:
Reactions: zebra12
Thats great to know because I have one sheet of noico left over from deadening the tub and I plan to use it on the doors* Do you know where blaine said that(looking for pics)

I don't remember where he posted that. I just searched and could not find it, but I suck at the search function. And, I do not recall him posting pictures, just saying that insulating the doors worked well.

Reactions: D M
Replaced the noisy camshaft synchronizer. Now I need to replace my rear brakes. Pads are getting thin. Always something!

And with the hardtop on, I get to continue with my vibes drama. The hardtop just acts like a tuning fork, enhancing the harmonics that I hear. Considering taking it to an upholstery shop, have sound deadening installed and then some salt/pepper marine grade carpet glued on to see if that helps some.
I experimented a little and put my angle finder on the rear diff, engaged the parking brake and tried to simulate the axle up movement under load in 1st gear while my co-worker watched the angle finder. Up travel was less than 2*. It was a concern, as I have the much hated MC arms back there, so I wanted to test that theory. Do you think by doing that test I'm putting enough load on the axle to simulate the load it sees on the freeway at 65mph?

Reactions: DrDmoney and D M
Replaced the noisy camshaft synchronizer. Now I need to replace my rear brakes. Pads are getting thin. Always something!

And with the hardtop on, I get to continue with my vibes drama. The hardtop just acts like a tuning fork, enhancing the harmonics that I hear. Considering taking it to an upholstery shop, have sound deadening installed and then some salt/pepper marine grade carpet glued on to see if that helps some.
I experimented a little and put my angle finder on the rear diff, engaged the parking brake and tried to simulate the axle up movement under load in 1st gear while my co-worker watched the angle finder. Up travel was less than 2*. It was a concern, as I have the much hated MC arms back there, so I wanted to test that theory. Do you think by doing that test I'm putting enough load on the axle to simulate the load it sees on the freeway at 65mph?
Per your last part: I think it would have to depend on how much throttle youre giving it. I would think that the axle raises more in 1st gear than 5th on the freeway since you have way more tourque than 5th gear, thus letting the antisquat reach its highest number correct? If I punch it in first from take off, my front driver tire wants to lift to the moon, if I punch it in 4th or 5th, my front end doesnt really move at all (or so I can feel) -I could be totally wrong but just thinking out loud here

Per your last part: I think it would have to depend on how much throttle youre giving it. I would think that the axle raises more in 1st gear than 5th on the freeway since you have way more tourque than 5th gear, thus letting the antisquat reach its highest number correct? If I punch it in first from take off, my front driver tire wants to lift to the moon, if I punch it in 4th or 5th, my front end doesnt really move at all (or so I can feel) -I could be totally wrong but just thinking out loud here
Makes sense to me. I was reefing on it pretty good and had the park brake on as tight as I could, then feathered the throttle to get some load.

Reactions: D M and Wildman

If you want to be patient...My jeep is about to hibernate. I can send you my uppers to try, with johnny joints, to see if it makes a difference.