"Pacing myself" build

If you want to be patient...My jeep is about to hibernate. I can send you my uppers to try, with johnny joints, to see if it makes a difference.
Funny you mention that. I was thinking to myself about buying some Savvy rear uppers just to throw more parts at this problem. I may take you up on that. It's going on 3 years and counting fighting this problem, so patience is my friend, otherwise this turd would have been sold by now, lol!

Funny you mention that. I was thinking to myself about buying some Savvy rear uppers just to throw more parts at this problem. I may take you up on that. It's going on 3 years and counting fighting this problem, so patience is my friend, otherwise this turd would have been sold by now, lol!
Just let me know. Hell, I could probably send the lowers too...I gotta pull the axle to regear at some point anyway!

Reactions: Wildman
Just let me know. Hell, I could probably send the lowers too...I gotta pull the axle to regear at some point anyway!
I'll start with just the uppers as they are a smaller joint and likely will have the most give. I'll never hear the end of it from Blaine and Josh if that helps the problem. I doubt it will. Also considering a different drive shaft. I have an Adams in there now, but I've tried a TW shaft with no change. Thinking JE Reel next and go just a tad bit longer. My bump stops will allow a bit more length. Might even have to resort to a SS SYE to get even more length.

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman and D M
I'll start with just the uppers as they are a smaller joint and likely will have the most give. I'll never hear the end of it from Blaine and Josh if that helps the problem. I doubt it will. Also considering a different drive shaft. I have an Adams in there now, but I've tried a TW shaft with no change. Thinking JE Reel next and go just a tad bit longer. My bump stops will allow a bit more length. Might even have to resort to a SS SYE to get even more length.
Meh who cares how much shit you get, as long as the vibes are gone. I wonder how close the barrel sizes are between the two joints? It's there an easy way to just install the guts of a Johnny joint into the duroflex housing. That would be a cheaper experiment than shipping arms!

Last edited:
Meh who cares how much shit you get, as long as the vibes are gone. I wonder how close the barrel sizes are between the two joints? It's there an easy way to just install the guts of a Johnny joint into the duroflex housing. That would be a cheaper experiment than shipping arms!
I'd have to check. I'd bet MC makes it a point to make their arms different threads for that exact reason, lol!

• Haha
Reactions: D M
Small issue. When I made my GMRS antenna mount on the taillight the soft top was on. I thought I gave enough room for the antenna to clear the hard top rear glass, but I did not. I can't drill a new hole and move it over a bit cause it'll look stupid, and the NMO mount won't seal. So now I need to decide whether to put my old mount back on, fabricate a new one, buy one, or relocate the antenna. Anyone else have their antenna in a different spot, and is it performing well?
20210903_135056.jpg

Assuming that it uses the same bolt hole you drilled, you can use the teraflex one I am using. I have no issues with it, and it clears the hardtop and soft top windows no problem. I use their driver and passenger side mounts. Here's the driver side
https://teraflex.com/catalog/produc...yj-cj-cb-antenna-mount-kit-driver/category/2/
You'll probably want to get the paint to bare metal on the mount to ground with the body (im sure you already know this), and you'll want to get the bottom side of the antenna hole to be bare metal too.

I ordered this one,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X2GPK25/?tag=wranglerorg-20But won't ship till Jan 30. Also afraid it might be too flimsy.

Because my antenna has an NMO mount, it is bigger in diameter at the bottom vs. a CB antenna, so I need to take that into account. Also, I had a problem with this antenna in high wind situations on the freeway where it would sometimes flail out of control and smack the back of my hardtop. I would literally have to come to a stop to calm it down. Happened twice on me. I even complained to Midland about it and they sent me a new antenna. I have a feeling it is a result of the antenna being really close to the side of the hardtop and catching the draft in a weird way. It hasn't done that with my home made mount being a bit closer to the right and also made from 3/16" steel. This is another reason why I'm considering moving the antenna all together.

Reactions: Alex01 and DrDmoney
Considering this mount,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089TB6CJJ/?tag=wranglerorg-20and this antenna,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IRFTPOC/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Driver side just in front of the rear view mirror. Problem I have with that location is the coax routing. There is no real clean way of running the coax into the dash. Plus, I have no idea how the antenna will perform in that location with the shorter antenna.

I don't know how tight your trails are that you run but I'd be worried about breaking that mount off. I tore the stock antenna mount off on mine. I've got to get a new one at some point if I want to be able to listen to FM/Am again.

I ordered this one,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X2GPK25/?tag=wranglerorg-20But won't ship till Jan 30. Also afraid it might be too flimsy.

Because my antenna has an NMO mount, it is bigger in diameter at the bottom vs. a CB antenna, so I need to take that into account. Also, I had a problem with this antenna in high wind situations on the freeway where it would sometimes flail out of control and smack the back of my hardtop. I would literally have to come to a stop to calm it down. Happened twice on me. I even complained to Midland about it and they sent me a new antenna. I have a feeling it is a result of the antenna being really close to the side of the hardtop and catching the draft in a weird way. It hasn't done that with my home made mount being a bit closer to the right and also made from 3/16" steel. This is another reason why I'm considering moving the antenna all together.
FWIW I use the teraflex ount on the passenger side with the same gmrs antenna, not using the extra bolt hole and I have no issues. However I do plan on drilling that exra hole for the added strength.

Considering this mount,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089TB6CJJ/?tag=wranglerorg-20and this antenna,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IRFTPOC/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Driver side just in front of the rear view mirror. Problem I have with that location is the coax routing. There is no real clean way of running the coax into the dash. Plus, I have no idea how the antenna will perform in that location with the shorter antenna.
I have a similar mount, it works good in that location…maybe that’s why factory antennas are still mounted there.🧐

Reactions: D M and bobthetj03