"Pacing myself" build

Ok jeeples, Next month I should be able to get my RS5000X shocks for the front. To keep you up to speed, I replaced the rears earlier this month with their 2.5" lift shocks. My jeep has 2.5" of lift, but my setup is a little out of the norm. I'm clearing narrow 33's by adding 1.5" bumpstop extensions in the rear, 2" bumpstop extensions in the front, and Rubi flares. At full stuff, I just barely clear the fenders. I really haven't seen any issues offroading so far with the decreased up travel, so it really hasn't bothered me. So, being that my setup isn't going to change much, I'm considering gaining a little more droop up front by running their 3.5" lift shocks.

Rancho's specs on 2.5" lift shocks:
Collapsed: 14.43"
Extended: 23.84"

Rancho's specs on 3.5" lift shocks:
Collapsed: 15.69"
Extended: 26.42"

The specs on the 2.5" lift shocks are based on a TJ with no bumpstop extension up front, and 1" bumpstop extensions in the rear on 31's. So, with that being said, and my setup as stated above, I should be able to use the 3.5" shocks and gain a couple inches of droop, or at least as much as can be gain before the stuffed side binds. Does this sound doable?

http://www.gorancho.com/products/sh...-absorber?find=2003-jeep-wrangler-4wd-1130571
7.jpg

20150729_093741.jpg

Theory sounds solid. I use the same shocks as you, had to swap after adding a 1.25" spacer to the 1.25" lift spring. What I did notice after the spacer was it put the old shocks into an unequal travel position resulting in a poor ride. Couldn't figure out what the deal was until I measured. Had like 2.5" down and 5.5" up. New longer shocks and it rides great again. Not sure where you'd be with the longer shocks but it's something to consider.

Theory sounds solid. I use the same shocks as you, had to swap after adding a 1.25" spacer to the 1.25" lift spring. What I did notice after the spacer was it put the old shocks into an unequal travel position resulting in a poor ride. Couldn't figure out what the deal was until I measured. Had like 2.5" down and 5.5" up. New longer shocks and it rides great again. Not sure where you'd be with the longer shocks but it's something to consider.

That's something I didn't consider. Guess I can measure my current ride height on my old shocks and see where the new longer shocks would sit.

That's something I didn't consider. Guess I can measure my current ride height on my old shocks and see where the new longer shocks would sit.
That's the best way. My springs will actually unseat at full droop disco'd. The spacer adds height but not spring length, if that makes sense. I don't disco for my use so it's not an issue. If I do start and are pushing it I will need to add a limiter strap to be safe.

Last edited:
Ok, just measured my shock ride height and max up travel. Shocks sit at 19.5". Available up travel with my current bumpstop extensions is 4.5" up. This means I need a shock with a collapsed length greater than 15" if I'm doing my math correctly. So, with the longer 3.5" lift shocks having a collapsed length of 15.69", they will be a no go. Glad you brought this up Rob. I'd be bottoming out my front shocks cause I disco a lot offroading and run some flexy trails.

Reactions: Chris and Rob5589
Soft top is put away for the season. Driver side window zipper is fubarred, so I'll be shopping for some new windows. Mornings are getting chilly, so hardtop will be going on soon. Sad days. :(

The coverings were starting to fade a little bit, so I took them off and liked the look. If anyone needs some 03+ padding, I have them.
View attachment 22557
Man I love the white TJ look without roll bar covers. My SO, not so much :D. Great choice on the shocks and the ultra nomads are some pretty sweet shoes. Keep it up! ;)

Reactions: bobthetj03
Didn't affect my factory soft top at all. The soft top doesn't touch the roll bars. Actually, it's easier to put the top down at the c-pillar portion of the roll bar without the padding.
Probably makes putting on the door surrounds easier, too. I'm always having a time of it trying to line up those screw thingies so they'll thread in without stripping...

Small update, replaced my leaking O'Reilly's radiator with a new Mopar unit and a new Mopar cap. Fit and finish is noticeably better. Word of caution though, make sure you run the self tapping bolts that bolt the fan shroud to the radiator through to open up the hole a little before you install the radiator. Room is tight once it's installed and they can be hard to get started. Also installed my Rancho front shocks. OME's were just plum wore out. I got my monies worth out of them.
20171113_104730.jpg

20171108_103446.jpg

Good choice on the Mopar radiator. I just hope Mopar doesn't stop making them like they're starting to do with all the other TJ parts...

Reactions: bobthetj03
Good choice on the Mopar radiator. I just hope Mopar doesn't stop making them like they're starting to do with all the other TJ parts...

Well, my original radiator gave me 125K of trouble free use, so if this one gives me the same amount of service, I highly doubt there will be any left by that time. I almost feel I should by one to keep as a spare, lol!