"Pacing myself" build

One word of warning though, if you have shocks that have stupid fat dust shields like these OME Nitros do, you will be very close to hitting the frame. I haven't seen any adverse affects so far. Shocks without dust shield, no problems.
20170417_135841.jpg

Reactions: Chris
So, tonight I drained my rear diff oil and took a look at my gears. The gear oil had a faint silvery tint. Assuming that is probably normal wear? Fluid has about 8K miles on it since the re-gear. I kept the fluid so I can get a better look at it tomorrow. I took a bunch of pics of the grears. You gear experts out there, do you see anything out of the ordinary with the wear pattern?
20170417_170641.jpg

20170417_170653.jpg

20170417_170705.jpg

20170417_170739.jpg

20170417_170810.jpg

20170417_170847.jpg

20170417_170847.jpg

20170417_170922.jpg

20170417_170929.jpg

20170417_170733.jpg

Thanks guys. Looked ok to me too, but I'm no expert either. I think I can pretty much rule out my gears as my vibe related problem. While I had the jeep on the rack, I took a good look at everything. I noticed my rear driveshaft has some rotational play in the slip yoke. My TC has the harmonic balancer on the output. I can grab the balancer and the end yoke and get a small amount of play between the two. Don't know if that is normal or not, but it will soon be replaced with a SYE, so hope it holds together a bit longer.

Yeah, I don't think the vibration is coming from the gears. Seems like I always suggest this, but have you checked the tires?

What did you use for the top part of the rack

I built a basket using 1/8" thick angle for the frame and expanded metal for the floor of the basket. The cross bars were 1" box. I used muffler clamps to attach the cross bars to the roll bar of the jeep.

I built a basket using 1/8" thick angle for the frame and expanded metal for the floor of the basket. The cross bars were 1" box. I used muffler clamps to attach the cross bars to the roll bar of the jeep.
Looks sweet and a great idea I would make one like it for mine but the weather is so unpredictable where I live I wouldn't be able to leave it on all the time

Yeah, I'm lucky in that respect where I live. I have a good solid 3 months of warm weather, but it depends where I travel to. Lot's of micro climates in Cali. It was a temporary solution until I could finish my trailer build.

Performed a little experiment today after work. I've been running without the front drive shaft to minimize the vibes I've been getting since my jeep has seen some more DD duty. I was pretty sure the rear drive shaft was the culprit because I still had vibes and a harmonic, but just not as bad as when the front drive shaft was installed. So, I re-installed the front drive shaft, and decided to remove the rear drive shaft and take if for a little spin. Bit of a weird feeling driving it in FWD. Felt like a early Honda with bad torque steer. Anywho, got it on the freeway and low and behold, smooth as glass! Should have done this long ago, but at least now I know that rear drive shaft/slip yoke setup has to go. there was quite a bit of rotational play in the slip yoke. SYE hopefully going in next month.

Reactions: JMT and Rob5589
Are you doing the SYE or a shop? I'd like to know how that goes if you're doing it! I keep looking at the process and thinking it's a lot of steps and I don't want to screw this up.

What Driveshaft did you upgrade to?

Are you doing the SYE or a shop? I'd like to know how that goes if you're doing it! I keep looking at the process and thinking it's a lot of steps and I don't want to screw this up.

What Driveshaft did you upgrade to?

I'm going to pull the t-case myself and take it to a local transmission shop that I trust. I looked at videos and how to's till I'm blue in the face. I could probably do it myself, but Iike you, I just don't want to screw it up, plus I want a professional to inspect the rest of the T-case bearings and such to make for certain the TC is solid.