"Pacing myself" build

Yep, I have a DCDS and the pinion is jacked up to match, but my shocks still hit.

Bilsteins right? Can you flip them like Jerry has suggested in other threads? I can't flip my OME's unless I want to hack the shell off.

In preparations for the SYE, I want to relocate my lower shock mounts. I'm considering these from Clayton Offroad.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DTCXNFE/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I like that they will also beef up the lower control arm brackets a bit and not change shock travel, but will get them away from the coil buckets.
We put the Rubicon Express relocation brackets on ours. A little cheaper and get the job done. I will say those Clayton ones look beefy though.

Rubicon Express RE2005 Rear Shock Relocator for Jeep TJ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006GJP52M/?tag=wranglerorg-20

My new amp and the remainder of my sound deadening material showed up today.
20170310_145130.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Got the amp installed yesterday. What a difference! I have bass again. Highly recommend this little jewel! Sorry for the blurry pic.
20170312_172525.jpg

And, no it's not being held on by a ziptie. It's mounted to that plywood with 4 screws. The ziptie is just added insurance.

Reactions: Kyle_W
Ok, so moving on, my first summer with the Jeep was approaching. Top was coming off. Summers here can be brutal, so I decided to pick up some Spidy shade goodness, duster/windjammer combo. Also picked up an Olympic rear bumper with hitch receiver so I can tow my utility trailer.
View attachment 11402

My wife is vertically challenged, so you'll also spy some Warrior rocker steps in this pic.
hey man what kind of cover is that for where the back seats were?

A new sound system would be nice. The stock TJ sound system leaves a lot to be desired. However, with my top off and doors off, I guess it probably won't matter much.

A new sound system would be nice. The stock TJ sound system leaves a lot to be desired. However, with my top off and doors off, I guess it probably won't matter much.

You would be surprised sir. My bass actually sounds even better when the top is off. I don't know why. Maybe it's the way sound waves bounce off of the inside of the hardtop or something. I'm far from an audiophile. I just like my music. It compliments the Jeep experience IMO. If I add up what I have invested in my latest audio refresh, I think it's somewhere around $350.

You would be surprised sir. My bass actually sounds even better when the top is off. I don't know why. Maybe it's the way sound waves bounce off of the inside of the hardtop or something. I'm far from an audiophile. I just like my music. It compliments the Jeep experience IMO. If I add up what I have invested in my latest audio refresh, I think it's somewhere around $350.

I hear ya, and I will no doubt invest in some better speakers (and a head unit) eventually, since I like to listen to good music.

$350 isn't bad though, not at all. It's when you get into the $2000 and up that I ask people how much time they really spend in their car that they need a $2000 sound system.

Reactions: Jeepersteve71
I'd say we are into ours for around $300-$350. It's not the most impressive system by any means but it does exactly what we want and need it to do. Sounds good and is loud enough to power over the exhaust, tires, and with the top off.

Jeeps being what they are need power to be able to hear anything. Mine was blah until I added an amp and separate tweeters then all was better. Still not any real bass but I can live with it.

Bass is non-directional (under certain frequencies). This is why it sounds good even with the top off. It does enhance your TJ significantly. If there is one thing that is extremely sad, it is the stock system.

I'd suggest doing it in this order. Head unit, dash (upgrade to 4x6), sound bar 5.25", then a compact powered sub mounted on the bottom of the rear seat (Kenwood PS-8 is my highest recommendation. It's as good as the Kicker but $189 on Amazon compared to $299). You could do all this for $450. I recommend Polk for dash and sound bar, as they are water resistant. I recommend a head unit that also has a water resistant circuit board (all marine head units are water resistant, of course, but ther are others. I have a JVC). $450 is not much, but it goes far as far as an upgrade.

Bass is non-directional (under certain frequencies). This is why it sounds good even with the top off. It does enhance your TJ significantly. If there is one thing that is extremely sad, it is the stock system.

I'd suggest doing it in this order. Head unit, dash (upgrade to 4x6), sound bar 5.25", then a compact powered sub mounted on the bottom of the rear seat (Kenwood PS-8 is my highest recommendation. It's as good as the Kicker but $189 on Amazon compared to $299). You could do all this for $450. I recommend Polk for dash and sound bar, as they are water resistant. I recommend a head unit that also has a water resistant circuit board (all marine head units are water resistant, of course, but ther are others. I have a JVC). $450 is not much, but it goes far as far as an upgrade.

Solid advice! I always choose Polk speakers as well, I've had good luck with them in the past.

I hear ya, and I will no doubt invest in some better speakers (and a head unit) eventually, since I like to listen to good music.

$350 isn't bad though, not at all. It's when you get into the $2000 and up that I ask people how much time they really spend in their car that they need a $2000 sound system.

Chris, I could build you a system that would be less than 1500 bucks, and you'd think you were at a rock concert. The trick with Jeeps and convertibles is its all about POWER. You don't need to spend the big bucks on audiophile equipment...Its diminishing returns at that point. When you pull the top off you won't notice that the snare sounds "tinny" or the horn warbles when its not supposed to. Less expensive equipment will get you the sound levels without breaking the bank because you don't need clean power, just lots of it. Make sense?

You can buy the stuff people don't want (close-outs, open box, refurb, etc) because its a stinkin jeep, and you don't care about quality too much, just if you can hear the boss sing "born in the USA" over the wind noise.

I've outgrown the ear drum bursting, light dimming, glass breaking music and bass that I thought I needed. I had two 10's in custom box, with about 1000 watts pushing all the speakers. They could hear me coming from 2 miles away, lol! I've since down graded to a more modest system.
P1020961.JPG

P1020963.JPG

P1020971.JPG