"Pacing myself" build

So, question, Do I need to rotate the pinion close to where it will live with the new drive shaft before I take a measurement for the new DS? Also, will the track bar let me rotate it enough without the angled CV style relocation bracket? I have the bracket, but just haven't installed it yet.

Reactions: cliffish
So, have you read this from the Tom Wood website? The underlined portion may be applicable.

"If you have substantial lift and want the smoothest drive shaft, we suggest one of the Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE) kits along with a double cardan (CV) drive shaft.

With this system you should be able to keep your transfer case at stock height but you need to be sure to pitch your differential so the pinion points directly at the out-put of the transfer case to maintain minimal joint angle at the differential end.

Double_Cardan_driveshaft.gif

If you will measure the slope of the drive shaft and the slope of the pinion, we can calculate any adjustment that may be needed. With leaf spring suspension, this is easily corrected with shims placed between the springs and spring perch. If you have coil springs, the adjustment is made with either cam bolts or adjustable control arms."

Also, this page might help too...

http://www.4xshaft.com/tech_slopesVSangles.asp

But hopefully someone will chime in who knows. Anyways, this will keep it at the top of new posts so it's seen. Good question...

Been fighting a nasty head cold and triple digit temps all week, so hoping to get this dang drive shaft installed this weekend. Cobwebs are forming on my Jeep! Doh!

Drive shaft is in. Pinion angle is close. Ran out of time and was getting too hot out. What's the rule of thumb with the pinion angles? Do you want the diff pinion a bit lower than the drive shaft angle? Right now I'm 0.6* higher than the drive shaft angle.
20170624_120117.jpg

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
I'm actually curious if you have been driving the jeep in 4High with just the front driveshaft attached. I had no idea you could actually do that lol. Hoping you got those pinion angles nailed down!

Yes, you can do that, but I wouldn't recommend doing it for long periods of time. I'm back in 2wd now. Both drive shafts are in. I've been playing around with pinion angles trying different settings, but my vibes are still there. They are better than before the SYE install, so I'm slowly gaining on it.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
Right rear shock is toast. Ordered some rear shocks today. Haven't driven the jeep in over a week. Sad days.