Patriot 02 build begins and finally has a direction

wmblore

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
2002, 4.0L, 5 spd. "Patriot" (my name not the model) build starts. It will be broken down into three phases. Phase 1-Frame, Suspension, Brakes and Wheels. Phase 2-Interior and "Patriot" design (think Red, White and Blue everywhere). Phase 3-Engine, Super charger. After lurking for the last few months, buying as many of everyones leftovers as I can, and talking to the wizard, I at least have a direction.

Phase 1 (Now until done)-Frame swap due to rust damage on existing frame and visible old repairs. Build up Dana 30/35 with super kit and do rear brake conversion with BBK (BIg Brake Kit) and BMP (Black Magic Pads). Possible rear Dana 44--waiting on potential sale. Elockers in both and ORO Manual Swayloc running 4.88 or 5.13 gears-waiting on The Wizard, Mr. Blaine, who I will be heavily relying on and hopefully will build/oversee Phase 1. Details being worked out now.

Really stuck between running 33's with a 3" EMU lift or 35's with a 4" Currie lift. Either way, I will be going with the 1 1/4" B.L., 1" MML, Currie double adjustable control arms, Currie adjustable track bars F&R, TT, Savvy Cable Shifters, SYE and Tom Woods drive shafts. Also can't decide on look of Rims I want.

Phase 2 (After Phase 1)-Turn everything I can into Red, White or Blue. Current tub is factory white with Patriot decal. I will turn door hinges, tail gate hinges hood hinges, etc. Red or Blue. I would like to go with the louvered hood with a Flagg wrap to match the side. American Flag Bikini top, and Flag head liner for Hard top. Radio swap to touch screen with Dash cam and Back up Camera. Like the look of the smaller diameter tubular bumpers and rock guard/side step. LED light upgrades throughout, Warn winch and on-board air.

Phase 3 (Later)-rebuild engine, Stroker or Super charger. No engine swap. I like the idea of building up the stock until she blows.

Photo 1- Bought in Conneticut
Photo 2-Transport
Photo 3- She is home in San Diego.
Don't ask why, it is a long story.

Thanks

PrZJt+U1TJGOUTQRZqXmJA.jpg

VKOobZijQp2YNWOzNi%REA.jpg

Oma6l5GHRSSwfhTH92oHjQ.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Phase 1- New frame bought in Long Beach and I am prepping for powder coat. Waiting on a few decision from the Wizard to decide if I will be doing any welding. Frame will be coated red and axles blue or vice versa. Old brakes lines, Bumpstops and exhaust hangers and any misc. bolts, that I am not sure what they were for, were all removed. Everything tagged and bagged and photos taken for reassembly. Only one snapped off bolt, not by me, needs to be drilled out.
I have no garage at my house so work was performed on the lumber rack of my truck.

Photo 1-3, Frame before removal of brake lines
Photo 4, Used a interior trim tool to remove the plastic brake retainer clamps

Phase 2- EAG American Flag half doors arrived and installed.

Photo 5-6, Before and after door install.

FPElCGZzTLCxq0eZaDSKbQ.jpg

JfCylS3FQMCpHJm2AJUxJg.jpg

aYcBPNjSTXiC2svgQz%%Tg.jpg

uvgoevd7Raql6eRXwSP7XA.jpg

4YM47DcEQyCTUpEak6A8VA.jpg

xFNYBYRQR+SSHVopezh5hQ.jpg

I’ve started a lift on the same 2002 TJ X model. Nice ideas you have there. Who is the “wizard”?
WIZARD=MR BLAINE-He is here on the forum and has helped so many people. Highly respected and often quoted. He called me when I asked for help and talked to me for over an hour to help me out. I am lucky he lives near by me and hope to use him for anything I can't handle-Which is most things.

If you didn’t snap the bolt...did the “wizard” do it...?

Can you please take a pic of the Jeep frame on the trucks lumber rack?
I am guessing Blaine has never snapped a bolt. HaHa.
The frame on my truck is the one I bought for the swap that will be going to powder coat. I will add a few picturres of my existing frame soon. The beauty of doing it this way is it allows me to drive my jeep and still work on the "new" frame.

Damn, you really aren't cutting any corners on this build, huh? A new frame and everything. You've got your work cut out for you, but the end result will be totally worth it.

Reactions: wmblore
Damn, you really aren't cutting any corners on this build, huh? A new frame and everything. You've got your work cut out for you, but the end result will be totally worth it.
Thanks Chris, I really want to get it "as right as possible" the first time. I will post my build price for each phase as it gets much further along.
Teaser Prices (I will post the rest later): Frame-$725, sandblast and coat-$275. I was really very excited with both of these prices as I have been looking and researching fairly hard.

Thanks Chris, I really want to get it "as right as possible" the first time. I will post my build price for each phase as it gets much further along.

Well, you're definitely on the right track, that's for sure. Media blast that frame and have it powder coated black. It will be as good as new and look damn good too!

Well, you're definitely on the right track, that's for sure. Media blast that frame and have it powder coated black. It will be as good as new and look damn good too!
Next teaser-That frame is going red or blue.

Only thing holding up the frame is that I owe Blaine a little more info. to decide if the shocks are going outboard. I really want to make sure any welding is done first. LOL

Only thing holding up the frame is that I owe Blaine a little more info. to decide if the shocks are going outboard. I really want to make sure any welding is done first. LOL

By all means, outboard the shocks first, please.

That was arguably the best thing I ever did to my TJ. You can fit a much longer travel shock in there, which when setup with a properly tuned shock (i.e. a Fox shock from @pcoplin) will make for a really, really good ride.

It's a no brainer, especially if you've already got a bare frame.

Oh wow, you're going full patriot! That will definitely be interesting to see. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before on a TJ.
Full disclosure-Most will either hate it or love it. It may come together as I see it my mind or it will be a catastrophe. Either way I am happy going for it and that is all that matters.

Full disclosure-Most will either hate it or love it. It may come together as I see it my mind or it will be a catastrophe. Either way I am happy going for it and that is all that matters.

It will definitely be a love or hate thing, I can see that. But it's yours, and that's what matters. Just don't put an angry turd grille on the front. It will ruin the whole patriotic theme!

It will definitely be a love or hate thing, I can see that. But it's yours, and that's what matters. Just don't put an angry turd grille on the front. It will ruin the whole patriotic theme!
ABSOLUTELY NOT!