Picked up a 1997 TJ for a project

UPDATE:

while waiting for my welder to start working on the body panels, I decided to remove and paint/refresh the interior dash and trims. Do any of you ever removed the passenger airbag cover? There was 5 rivets that I had to cut off in order to remove the cover, now I need to source new ones. where can i buy them? or I will have to just zip tie them.

I am planning on painting all black, including the center console and door panels.
I also found extra wires and cut wires that I will have to try and sort out.

Will paint tomorrow and share pictures

20190720_182201.jpg

20190720_182212.jpg

Local hardware store should have rivets of all sizes. I got a rivet gun at Harbor Freight and it came with a bunch of rivets.

I’ll be curious to know how the paint works out. I’ve got a dash that needs a refresh as well.

Local hardware store should have rivets of all sizes. I got a rivet gun at Harbor Freight and it came with a bunch of rivets.

I’ll be curious to know how the paint works out. I’ve got a dash that needs a refresh as well.

It came out good. Just finished painting. Will let it dry over night.

20190721_155918.jpg

20190721_192537.jpg

20190721_192550.jpg

20190721_192603.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Looks great! The p.o. of my Jeep painted all the interior trim
Used to be grey, he painted it tan. Looked good when I bought it, but didn't take long for it to start peeling.. he did a horrible prep job. Guess the duplicolor is in my near future...

Looks great! The p.o. of my Jeep painted all the interior trim
Used to be grey, he painted it tan. Looked good when I bought it, but didn't take long for it to start peeling.. he did a horrible prep job. Guess the duplicolor is in my near future...

The dupli-color works perfectly on vinyl and plastic. have used it on multiple projects.
To get it right, use a degreaser cleaner and wash the pieces really good. Let it dry , then I used a light sand paper, and sand them down. Doing so allow the new paint to set in nicely.
If you spend time prepping it correctly, it will come out good.

Hey guys. Getting ready to start pulling (attempt to) the tub off so that we can start the repairs.
The plan is to repair the tub off the frame. Planing on using the already made floor panels that sale online. Any recommendation on which ones to go with? I will need 4 panels for the floors and will be replacing the torque fox on both side. Please share any tricks that may help with the job.

Hey guys. Getting ready to start pulling (attempt to) the tub off so that we can start the repairs.
The plan is to repair the tub off the frame. Planing on using the already made floor panels that sale online. Any recommendation on which ones to go with? I will need 4 panels for the floors and will be replacing the torque fox on both side. Please share any tricks that may help with the job.

I don't have any experience with replacing floor pans. You may want to post a new thread with this question, as questions like this often get unnoticed and lost in a build thread. You'll definitely get more answers that way.

@Mike_H may have some input. He is the "rust belt heavyweight" after all ;)

I don't have any experience with replacing floor pans. You may want to post a new thread with this question, as questions like this often get unnoticed and lost in a build thread. You'll definitely get more answers that way.

@Mike_H may have some input. He is the "rust belt heavyweight" after all ;)

Ok thanks Chris

Didnt have much to do today, so i decided to replace the cracked exhaust manifold. The replacement is a used piece that is in great condition. Got it from my local yard for 25$ and it looks like it was recently installed.

The job wasn't bad at all, but ran into an issue at the end. The bottom at the flange 1 of the 2 bolts hole is bad ( can be seen on the pic of the block ). The bolt was too tight and went through the hole including the washer, wish i took a picture. Now only 1 bolt is holding the two pieces, so the flange doesn't go in all the way on one side.

Is there a way to repair it with some sort of kit? I cant image cutting the down pipe and welding a new one just to fix this. Anyone every had deal with this? Please advise

Attached are some pics of old and new exhaust. I also decided to quickly paint the block and intake manifold as they were nasty looking.

20190728_134828.jpg

20190728_141036.jpg

20190728_142447.jpg

20190728_142537.jpg

20190728_143111.jpg

Started to get needed parts for my jeep restoration. I am planing on running 33 12.5 tires and wondering if I need to do a body lift? i am planning on replacing all the body mounts after repairing the tub and frame.

Whats needed in term of suspension lift/body lift in order to run 33 with no issues?
Note that I am not planning on going offroad.